What's new

Where are the Hammock sleepers here?

Multiple hammocks..

2 ENO single nests with whoopie slings
1 henessey hammock bottom entry

And my favourite, a dangerbird a-tac double lyre with bug net and integrated fly.

I love to hammock!

Pics to follow!

How about a question for you hammock sleepers... my Eno Onelink didn't come with any rope for the bug net or tarp. What length paracord would you recommend?

How about a question for you hammock sleepers... my Eno Onelink didn't come with any rope for the bug net or tarp. What length paracord would you recommend?

The bugnet requires no rope unless something's changed. For the tarp I'd imagine you'll need about 25-35 feet.

2.5-5 feet per tie out and 20-30 feet from tree to tree.

Your tarp didn't have any either? Huh.... Mine were sewn in at 8 points. And I'd say a 25' length with my bug net. I'd run the bug line just under the top ridge of the fly so that I have room under the net, without it touching me.

If you do run para cord, I'd recommend gutting it for weight and bulk savings. Mostly bulk. A nylon twine will be cheaper, smaller, and just as strong/durable so long as you burn/melt the ends so they don't fray.

WBBB XLC
Not shown are Superfly and Hammock Gear Quilts (Great minds think alike hangingkayaker!!)

This thing is my baby...I sold a gun to buy her. No joke!

I like to try a hammock for backpacking. Yet, the last thing I need is more gear.

You'd be amazed how minimalist it feels once the rig is put together. That and it's a sleeping system and a chair all in one. There's nothing better than having a place to sit and have breakfast in the bush that's up off the ground.

Hammock lover here!
I'm a bigger guy so I have trouble finding hammocks that can handle my weight and height for a non-insane price.
So I now make my own hammocks!
I love get things on sale and making a hammock that holds 3 guys my size for 20 bucks.
I have slept in hammocks for 4 years straight up till a couple years ago. Now I still would rather sleep in one. My wife likes the bed better.

I'm a bigger guy so I have trouble finding hammocks that can handle my weight and height for a non-insane price.
So I now make my own hammocks!
I love get things on sale and making a hammock that holds 3 guys my size for 20 bucks.

proxy.php

I prefer a modern hammock to any other form of camp bedding. It gives much more support to my back. I don't use paracord or any other nylon line for suspension, because it stretches. I use 1/8" amsteel because it doesn't stretch. However, you have to use a polyester strap around the tree, because the amsteel would cut right through the bark.

For more information on hammocks, I suggest that you go to hammockforums.net.

I got a ENO double nest for Father's Day and I love it. I've only taken a few naps in it out in the yard but I'm hoping to take it out camping soon.
$IMG_2156.jpg

I got a ENO double nest for Father's Day and I love it. I've only taken a few naps in it out in the yard but I'm hoping to take it out camping soon.

I'm assuming that you have never used a hammock for overnight sleeping. You will find that you need insulation under you even more than you do when camping on the ground. A sleeping bag won't do the job, because your weight will compress the insulation beneath you. You will need a pad or other non-compressible insulation inside the hammock, or an underquilt hanging outside the hammock.

I've done a lot of research on hammock camping already. Figured for now I'd use my sleeping pad from my backpacking stuff. I've also found a great tutorial on making your own under quilt. I've noticed just laying in it out in the yard how much cooler it would be than in a tent.. But that might be a nice thing this time of year :biggrin1:

My best night of sleep was in a hammock about 16 years ago while camping. The evening was cool, the air sweat with the scent of pine, and there was the sound of a distant thunder storm.

Top Bottom