What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Kev, it seems like you've become discouraged. You've come too long a way to stop trying. It doesn't matter what you ate today. Vow to do better tomorrow. And, at the very least, keep doing those laps around the office.
I have been. Been busy and been eating fast food a lot. I did go to the gym last night and did get a lap in 20 degree weather in today. Still fighting but not like I was.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
still up and down....

I have been. Been busy and been eating fast food a lot. I did go to the gym last night and did get a lap in 20 degree weather in today. Still fighting but not like I was.

Keep at it.

You don't have to be perfect every day, or every week. You don't have to be perfect at all ... just be better than you were before you started ... and that you have achieved in spades. Find little ways to tilt the scales (sorry, bad pun) in your favour. Keeping fruit and veggies at the office or with you when travelling can really help avoid the fast food bit.

You set yourself a goal of 3,000 calories per day. If you hit 2,900 that's fantastic. If you hit 3,100 that's fantastic too. If you hit 4,000 ... remind yourself that while that's not ideal, "back in the day" you would have been 5,000+ daily, so you are still making improvements!

KEV: I Stumbled across this thred, obviously very late, just know that we are here to support you, Brush you off and kick you in the tail end when you fall and be there, anyone and everyone who has posted on this thread is you ally and advocate. True it is you that drives the car, but the great members of B&B are your pit crew. I have struggled my whole life with weight as well, so embrace what you need and want to do and use it as a manta for your change. I think most of the folks here will attest we can be pretty good cheerleaders.

Good Luck my friend!

i am working on some things to get back on track.

I am trying to snap out of this funk i have been in the last couple of months....i really am not a fan of the holiday season as it is quite large on food. I also get down as I get reminded of many things I have lost (most was my fault), and how I wish I had them still. I cope by eating and induldging on food.

i am working on some things to get back on track.

I am trying to snap out of this funk i have been in the last couple of months....i really am not a fan of the holiday season as it is quite large on food. I also get down as I get reminded of many things I have lost (most was my fault), and how I wish I had them still. I cope by eating and induldging on food.

You can do it Kev.

Did you ever consider addressing those "mental demons"?

I used to be 100 pounds heavier than I currently am... And much of it was because of emotional eating. The holidays are a treacherous time when you are in a sour relationship with food. I wasn't able to successfully drop the weight and keep it off until I had a revelation about food. The moment when you realize "Oh, I should probably eat something. It's time." is a milestone.

Contrary to what our culture exudes, food is for nourishment. Not entertainment, not a way to kill boredom, not a coping mechanism. It's hard to let go of because we can justify bringing that happiness into our lives through something "mandatory."

Once you conquer the addiction (and yes, it is physically and emotionally addictive), that's when you can fully appreciate the finer things. Opulent cooking, treats, family holiday gluttony. Your body will reprogram, and both your desires as well as your portion sizes will decrease. Without first mastering your own mind, you'll always fail. Food is everywhere, and temptation unavoidable.

I wasted my high school years being one hundred pounds overweight. Obviously that impacted my self esteem, ergo my "life" tremendously. I'm happy with who I am now, though. Do I look back and think, "well IF, and COULD"? Of course.

But I'll tell ya what, Kev. Nothing, and I mean nothing, that you had in the past will bring you the satisfaction that the present and prospect of the future will. When you drop the weight, and I know you will, you'll think your life started anew. Losing that weight was the best thing I've ever done for myself, and I'd do anything in this world to not be as big as I was again. That attitude, the self respect, dignity, and hope, is invaluable.

You'll do it brother. The question is, when will you decide you want it bad enough. Not for one reason, for ALL the reasons. For yourself. Failure is a vicious cycle, and anyone who has lost serious weight will tell you that it's a part of the process. Hold yourself accountable, but be your own biggest fan.

I used to be 100 pounds heavier than I currently am... And much of it was because of emotional eating. The holidays are a treacherous time when you are in a sour relationship with food. I wasn't able to successfully drop the weight and keep it off until I had a revelation about food. The moment when you realize "Oh, I should probably eat something. It's time." is a milestone.

Contrary to what our culture exudes, food is for nourishment. Not entertainment, not a way to kill boredom, not a coping mechanism. It's hard to let go of because we can justify bringing that happiness into our lives through something "mandatory."

Once you conquer the addiction (and yes, it is physically and emotionally addictive), that's when you can fully appreciate the finer things. Opulent cooking, treats, family holiday gluttony. Your body will reprogram, and both your desires as well as your portion sizes will decrease. Without first mastering your own mind, you'll always fail. Food is everywhere, and temptation unavoidable.

I wasted my high school years being one hundred pounds overweight. Obviously that impacted my self esteem, ergo my "life" tremendously. I'm happy with who I am now, though. Do I look back and think, "well IF, and COULD"? Of course.

But I'll tell ya what, Kev. Nothing, and I mean nothing, that you had in the past will bring you the satisfaction that the present and prospect of the future will. When you drop the weight, and I know you will, you'll think your life started anew. Losing that weight was the best thing I've ever done for myself, and I'd do anything in this world to not be as big as I was again. That attitude, the self respect, dignity, and hope, is invaluable.

You'll do it brother. The question is, when will you decide you want it bad enough. Not for one reason, for ALL the reasons. For yourself. Failure is a vicious cycle, and anyone who has lost serious weight will tell you that it's a part of the process. Hold yourself accountable, but be your own biggest fan.

Obviously the sagacious advice of someone who has "been there". Kudos Sir!

Last edited:

Well spoke Sir...excellent post

Update:

Still working through this slump. I am still mindful of what I eat, but am very sporadic on MyFitnessPal lately. I know I need to snap back into a routine.

Update:

Still working through this slump. I am still mindful of what I eat, but am very sporadic on MyFitnessPal lately. I know I need to snap back into a routine.

C'mon Kev...you can do it! Just get to the gym in the evenings and start getting yourself back into a routine!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hi! Just reading this thread for the first time. I didn't read through all 90-something pages, so pardon me if this has been mentioned before, but have you read Gary Taubes' book Why We Get Fat? It should be easy to find at the library if you don't want to buy it. Anyway, I found it very eye-opening and helpful in my own "Battle of the Bulge".

After a couple of months off the wagon, and gaining 12 lbs back :eek:( , I am getting back on track.

Yesterday was 2452 of 3070,

I have stocked my desk with water and decaf coffee (hoping to get a keurig for Christmas), removed soda from the house again, and most sweets. Also going back to bringing a lunch to work, and less fast food out (been induldging lately again).

I still have the gym membership and with having to work more, been there less. Need to set up a routine with my wife.

Yesterday was 3119 of 3070...the 16 oz Coke sent me over.

I needed something to help soothe my throat at work, as I have been fighting a cold.

Warm peppermint tea, sweetened with honey

+1 to the warm tea. If you like licorice, licorice tea is naturally sweet. Also, I just picked up some gingerbread tea that Celestial Seasonings makes (which means it may not be all natural flavoring, but it's cheap). I'm not sure how "gingerbready" it is, but with just little honey or sugar, it sure is tasty.

Top Bottom