What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

This past week in pictures $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398051611.223275.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398051620.354017.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398051628.892015.jpg

Sodium is still high... you need to identify the sources and work to reduce that, but overall, everything is looking very good!

I am sure you have received a lot o advice and anything I would say has been mentioned already. So,I would just like to offer you good luck. Keep up the good work.

Sodium is one of my biggest issues. It shows up and sends me over. I do not use a lot of table salt.

I don't use any.
Took a while to break the craving for it, but I only "shaker" season with pepper or garlic powder now.

Sodium is bad because it causes you to retain water.
This adds to weight (granted, easily lost), but it is also the mechanism that increases blood pressure.
Two of the most commonly prescribed methods for controlling blood pressure and heart rate restrictors, and diuretics.
Sodium intake negates the effect of the diuretics.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sodium is one of my biggest issues. It shows up and sends me over. I do not use a lot of table salt.

It's not about table salt, it's about salt added to the prepared food you buy. Sometimes, lots of it is where you least expect it, not just in the "Salt & Vinegar Chips" and such.

It's not about table salt, it's about salt added to the prepared food you buy. Sometimes, lots of it is where you least expect it, not just in the "Salt & Vinegar Chips" and such.

Yup... ketchup, hot sauces, white bread, processed cheese, whole and 2% milk, butter, salad dressing, Mac & Cheese....
Milk is a surprise, I suspect it is used as a preservative.

My one gripe with MFP is that it is not easier to view and manipulate data to inform better eating decisions. The best way to get an at-a-glance view of your intake and nutritional values is to go to myfitnesspal.com/reports/printable_diary/username (replacing "username" with your username, of course). Then you can enter a date range and scan through your sodium intake over that given period.

For me the sodium bombs were in, no surprise, deli meats and occasional processed foods (we have a weakness for veggie corn dogs, which are just as bad as their animal counterparts).

Kevin, that looks like good progress, but your intake of carbohydrates has dramatically increased (I believe it was around 30% last time). If you are getting over 50% of your calories from carbohydrates, weight loss will be much more difficult. Carbohydrates, especially in those quantities, are turned into fat.

Good luck! You are definitely making overall progress, which is great!

Kevin, that looks like good progress, but your intake of carbohydrates has dramatically increased (I believe it was around 30% last time). If you are getting over 50% of your calories from carbohydrates, weight loss will be much more difficult.

Goal is 45% carb, 30% fat, 25% protein.

I'd rather see him high on carbs than fat... his protein balance is good now.

For comparison, when I was using a trainer (and the goal was weight loss), he had me on a 60-20-20 balance, keeping in mind that fat contains twice the calories per gram as protein and carbs, so my fat intake by food weight was actually 10%)

Carbohydrates, especially in those quantities, are turned into fat.

I disagree to a point. Carbohydrates are fuel, and are burned directly without conversion.
IF they are not burned, then they are stored as fat for later use, but he is pretty consistently coming in below his caloric goal for the day, which means that at his weight and activity level, he is still running a caloric deficit... witnessed by the fact that he is losing weight steadily.

Coming in under on carbs and high on protein or fat is going to result in a reduction in energy, as the body will consume all carbs available just to operate, and 2 hours out walking with the wife is going to require the more energy-demanding process of converting consumed fat, and (hopefully not) protein to energy.
He's already converting stored fat to energy, but the body is going to reach for consumed sources first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom