What's new

Asheville NC meet up

Hi All,

Just got this from Kevin and wanted to share it.

"Colman Fourshee, the GM for Klingspor just sent a picture of a brush Tucker Garrison of Brevard NC did for him to show us what he can do. We did ask that he bring someone that had a good handle on turning and thought outside of the box. What can I say we are not disappointed by Tuckers work what so ever!

The offer for delivery of your order to the event at 10% off is getting short now with only 2 days left. I just found out they have micro mesh up to 28,000 grit in belt form as well. I am getting some for my 1”x 42” belt sander. I will now be able to see my eye lashes in my blades now.

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop | Quality Tools and Supplies for the Woodworker.

you can call Colman at Toll Free: 800-228-0000 x 3700

Kevin C. Adams"

$brush.JPG

I'm getting excited! Unfortunately some things have affected my schedule and I'll only be able to make it for Saturday but I'll be there the whole day.

I'm getting excited! Unfortunately some things have affected my schedule and I'll only be able to make it for Saturday but I'll be there the whole day.

At least you'll make it for Saturday. The schedule is pack and I'm sure you will be leaving with a lot of new found knowledge and some new skills.

Looks like Kevin got a package in the mail when he got home today.

"The yeti stopped by the house today and left snot on my door step.
Be one of the first 32 people in the door and a sample of snot and other wonderful Yeti scents will be in your welcome bag.

THANK YOU Mr. YETI"

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Wow this sounds like an awesome meet up!
Heck i'd drive down if I could!

Post pics afterwards!

Have a great time guys! I regret that it didn't work out for me to make the trip this time but I'm expecting lots of good stories and pics to make even more jealous than I already am.

After talking to an attorney about the meet up and legal responsibility, he suggested that we should think about protecting all parties, the team as well as the facility where the event will be taking place. His suggestion is, we have everyone fill out a liability release. After talking it over, and looking at our options, the team knew we could not buy an insurance policy large enough to cover issues.

Those dang lawyers ruin everything!:wink2:
I'll be there tomorrow with my finest release-signing pen ready to go!

Wow, what a great weekend. I just got home and my head is still spinning. Learned honing techniques from several folks and had several more help me hone my own razors. Got some hands on and coaching on stropping, learned some razor repair, and got some one on one coaching to help improve my shaving technique. I think just about everyone walked a way with some door prize and lots of take aways. Oh, and brush turning. Klinspore brought a wood turner with them and he showed us how he turns wood to make some beautiful handles. I left with a beautiful East India Rosewood brush handle and Kevin gave me a knot to put in it. Ray, Walleyeman even gave me one of his beautiful brushes he made. Wow! I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. Pictures and maybe some videos should be posted tomorrow.

I do have to say, as great as this meet up was, I think the best part was all the wonderful people there. A lot of information and experience being shared and a lot of PIFing too.

Now that I'm awake enough I want to thank all the folks who made this happen. Without their hard work and long hours of planning and executing, this meet up would never have happened. Thank you to:

Kevin (hidestoart) for planning, organizing, and setting up the gathering. He also provided strops, material, and equipment for others to use/keep.

Rick (rickboone) for doing a great job coordinating with vendors and gathering door prizes and give a ways.

Randy (Randydance) for helping with advertizing and for teaching honing and for taking time to talk and give one on one sessions. Randy was also the photographer/videographer of the group.

Ron (Utopian) for teaching honing and sharing his wealth of knowledge. Ron was also teaching how to fix or adjust flaws in razors to where they can be honed properly. If you could have seen his table, he must have had 30 stones of all times out there and that was just a hand full of what he brought to the meeting. He even brought in a monitor and hooked it up to his microscope so everyone could see what he was looking at and talking about.

Joe (Nipper) for managing the attendee roster, sign in, name tags and for sharing his knowledge with folks.

Aaron (ScoutHikerDad) for teaching and giving one one one lessons on stropping.

Christopher (C.J.bianco) for teaching about barber hones, how to use them and how to pick them.

Richard (Stropper) for teaching and demonstrating how to repair/re pinning razors and for working on and fixing other peoples razors for them.

Lynn for teaching honing styles and for helping and giving one on one training on honing. Oh and giving shaving lessons too!

Other folks who jumped in and helped and shared information include:

Ray (Walleyeman) for helping with setting up and take down. AND for giving away some of his drop dead beautiful brushes.

Charlie (Spazola) for jumping in and helping with basic and advanced razor making.

Pat (pfries) for jumping in and helping us newbies.

Simon (coully) for jumping in and helping with honing and shaving skills. I guess men do go to the bathroom in pairs!

James (Mephisto) for helping people to use hones.

And Brian (ShavingSnop). Brian came out from TN to learn and at the end of the meet up on Sunday, jumped in and helped take down the set up and finished out sweeping and mopping the floor before we all left. Thank you for doing that and helping out. It was really appreciated.

I hope I haven't left anyone out. There were so many people showing and sharing it was hard to keep up. If I left you out, I am truly sorry.

Oh, and the learning didn't stop when everyone left for the day either. Many folks met up afterwards at restaurants or hotel rooms to talk more about shaving and to get more practice time on hones as well. I'm already looking forward to the next meet up.

I also want to give a special thanks to Ray (Walleyeman) for giving me one of his beautiful brushes. I was totally caught off guard when he gave it to me. Ray, you are a beautiful and generous person. Thank you.

$IMG_0514.jpg

You guys were awesome fun and I learned a ton too. The amount of cool loot i came home with was astounding. I made so many new connections and friends it was really such a great group of guys. Special thanks to Warpiper/Chris and Hidestoart/Kevin for really doing so much to make this happen. When we do this again I would be more than happy to help in anyway possible.

Some favorite parts from this weekend:
- Lynn's presentation and Q&A was so helpful. (I will have to take you up on that offer to help perfect my "circle method"). Next time i'll bring some cigars
- Randy's demonstration on the 'rolling x-stroke' and also the reconditioning of the edge shape on the one you made too on sunday. Very cool stuff
- Rick Boone's PIF and demo with lapping films - I'm going to try them out tonight actually! I can't say enough positive things about this guy, thank you for all your help
- Stropper/Richard for repairing the heel on my project razor and explaining the cause and effect of the hone wear on the shoulder. Also that blade holder is brilliant! Lets build some this summer!
- Scouthikerdad/Aaron for letting everyone practice and learn on your stones. I put on a great edge and shaved with it last night - so awesome and thanks so much for your help
- Moosiker/Mike for getting me hooked on about 10 new soaps and creams - shaved with the "Strop shoppe - barber shop" last night and you're right - its so good, total faseterbation.
- The girl (forgot her name) who came by Sunday to represent Shapton and graciously let us play with the pile of plates she brought... and then Simon shaving her boyfriend.

I just wanted to say, I had a blast and can't wait till the next one!

Top Bottom