What's new

A straight for my father. What should get?

So my father would like a straight razor and I turn to the forum for help.
My knowledge about straights is close to zero.

The straight I would like to get should be usable and a good crafts work. New or old doesn't matter.

One thing I discussed with my father is that the knives I see here doesn't have a whole blade. And since that's not proper English I'll try to explain myself. The edge of the knives I find doesn't go all the way - the inner part is just stability and support for the blade. And my father remember my grandfathers straight with a cutting edge all the way.

Is there knives like that? If so where could I find one? If not what would recommend instead?

I'm sorry for my poor grammatical skills and vocabulary. I hope you understand my questions and willing to help me out anyways.

Last edited:
I know there is some sort of a language barrier between us but is this the type of blade you are talking about where the edge goes all the way. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/367011-Evatt-Cast-Steel If not maybe you can post a picture of something like what you are looking for.

Thank you!

That look almost exactly like the razor I been looking for! The tip of my grandpas was more round but this if razor would surely make my dad happy!

Where could get one like this? What's the correct name?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Those razors are old (200 years) and I have a similar one. While it it cool to have such an old razor, it is not my favorite. It is difficult to hone, hard to strop, and awkward to shave. However, they are cool, if you want one, put up a "Want to buy" in the BST and see what offers you get.

You might email Larry at Whippeddog, I doubt he has any old ones like that, but I am sure he has something nice for your father.

Are you referring to the blade profile? this
$IMAG2836.jpg
compared to this?
$2013-04-19 15.27.06.jpg

That would be wedge shaped razor versus the Hollow (1/4, 1/2) shaped. So you need to look for wedge shaped/profile razor.

I can't really tell from those pictures. (That you so kindly provided!).
The razors In the first link in this thread have a less rounded top end than what the one grandpa had. Your pictures show the blade profile from the front. And the profile I'm talking referring to at the same tip but from the side.

Those are really old ones .. like Mike told you .. 150 + years old .. all newer (even from the 1900) will have the Shank part like the picture.

If it is intended to be used for shaving .. I would go with the newer design like those pictured above. And pick one profile that you like most (round, square, french etc like those on the pictures) Like Mike told you above, it will be easier to hold and sharpen. And generally in better shape.

The shank is used to hold the razor there .. so even on the older types like the one you seek, it is not blade/edge all the way. The last part is not sharp.

If it is intended to be used for shaving .. I would go with the newer design like those pictured above. And pick one profile that you like most (round, square, french etc like those on the pictures) Like Mike told you above, it will be easier to hold and sharpen. And generally in better shape.

The shank is used to hold the razor there .. so even on the older types like the one you seek, it is not blade/edge all the way. The last part is not sharp.

Thank you.
I'll talk to my father. I believe he wanted it more out of nostalgic reasons than for use.

Top Bottom