What's new

Stypic pencil and health concerns

This reminds me of all the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide. We wet shavers are exposed to that nasty stuff all the time!

http://www.dhmo.org/

Simon

Yes, it's horribly dangerous stuff. I do my best to avoid it. Perhaps mixing it with alcohol helps defuse the problems somewhat? :biggrin:

I recall something about a high school or college student(s) doing "man in the street" interviews with people: informing them of the dangers of DHMO and whether or not they would expose themselves/their families to it. Quite an entertaining little bit.

And Penn and Teller did a similar bit - on this YouTube video.

I don't see any problem with any type of styptic pencil, unless you are painting your face with it. That would mean that you desperately need to adjust your shaving technique.

Isn't that exactly what people do with an alum block?

Brewman said:
Remember back in the 1970's when saccerine was pulled from the market becuse it caused cancer in lab mice? After several decades it was discovered that it wasn't dangerous like first thought.

What the hell ever happened to Cyclamates? They were pulled and never came back. I still remember using that as a kid. Tasted Waaaaaaay better than Saccaharine.
I guess the Cyclamates lobby didn't have enough money to grease the wheels of freedom. Ah well. At least I can still oblitherate my short-term memory with Aspartame and Blow out my long-term with aluminum magnesium silicate.

...Allegedly...

To actually answer your question. I use Nick Fix. It's a liquid in a white tube that looks like a Chapstick. But it's so old, I have no idea if they even make it anymore.

Funny...we talked about the potential causes of Alzheimer's Disease in psychopharmacology today. I think you'd have to go through massive amounts of alum daily in order to cause a problem. You'd probably die from blood loss before you could have problems with alum in a shave.:001_smile

Top Bottom