What's new

Martin de Candre vs Mike's Natural Soaps

Looked composition of ingredients Mike's Natural Soaps and Martin de Candre . What soap is better protects the skin and better as the product? Whose composition ingredients better?
Thanks in advance :biggrin1:

I cannot speak to the value of the ingredients in either soap as I have never attempted to make a shaving soap. That being said, I like Mike's soap better than MdC in every way except scent.

For some reason, the scent of "scented" MdC is my all time favorite for any shave soap I have ever used-and I've used a lot. That is why I still have MdC in my rotation. It is a very good soap, but not a great soap in my opinion.

Mike's Hungarian Lavender is very close in scent to MdC and is my favorite scent he offers.

As far as performance, I feel Mike's is slicker, offers better protection, and better post-shave moisturizing. It lathers easily, though not as automatically as MdC.

For the price difference, it's a no brainer.

I like MdC substantially more than Mike's. I think it performs better, and I don't care for any if the mikes scents I've had samples of (though I have not tried the Hungarian lavender). Mikes is a good soap, but I hardly use it anymore, as I have a bunch of soaps I prefer

I prefer Mike's. I didn't care for the MDC scent and while it is a very good performer, I think Mike's outperforms it. The comments about price are spot on. I don't think MDC is worth what they charge for it, even without the high shipping cost.

Obviously, this is a very personal thing. However, for me, vegetable based soaps always seem dryer and more lather-bomby to me. I am a tallow boy to the bone. There is just little comparison IMHO, but others have different views entirely. Mikes and Stirling are probably my favorite soaps of all time.

Josh

They are both great heavyweight soaps IF one knows how to make superior lather from both. Mikes is not easy as most don't add enough water and with Mdc often times people don't whip long enough to get that yogurt like texture to see it's full potential.
Both have very basic ingredients which I appreciate and applaud. Unfortunately for me lately I've had a reaction to Mdc which I didn't before. Wonder if they changed formula.

I tried MDC for the first time this morning. Lifestoshort, a member here, sent me about a table spoon size sample. Lord bless him. At loading my brush the lather started to build easily. I couldn't help myself and just started face lathering. I usually have restraint in these matters but this morning it was caution to the wind. It was a pleasant and comfortable mattress of soap. The very sharp Special Number 1 left me with no razor burn. It is things like these that make me wish I was born rich instead of so good looking. I have no idea what Mike's is like but if it is anything like MDC it will be a hard choice.

Regards

Chamso

I usually prefer tallow based soaps. However, MdC is my #1 soap. I find it slicker and better performing than any other soap including Mikes. However, I am less of a "scent" person than I am a performance person.

Opinions are divided.....:001_cool:

Long story short: there is a boatload of excellent soap right now. I had had grand ambitions of doing a really controlled massive soap shoot out a while ago, and after a short time realized that it was pretty much a fool's errand as there were fairly small differences among the top soaps.

I think one thing that drives some
Of the opinion split is water quality. I gave really hard water, and some soaps don't seem to be affected, but others, including Mikes, seem to give me more hassle than thy give may others

Unfortunately for me lately I've had a reaction to Mdc which I didn't before. Wonder if they changed formula.

I think some chemicals in soap are sensitizing over time. I won't rehash the brand, as it isn't relevant here, but I had a soap where one scent bothered me, the other didn't. After a couple weeks, the second one bothered me as well, and
Does every shave. Same tub throughout

Well, to me this is like comparing a Ferarri(mdc) to a custom chevy (mikes). Unfair at best, but if you make me, Mdc hands down but I think the stuff is way overpriced.

Well, to me this is like comparing a Ferarri(mdc) to a custom chevy (mikes). Unfair at best, but if you make me, Mdc hands down but I think the stuff is way overpriced.

+1 Though the price issue seems a little unfair, the pricing really isn't that bad, its the shipping that kills me. I can't really say much about that because the maker can't eat the cost of shipping and make any money....

Top Bottom