What's new

Do you want to try a GEM Pass?

$GEM1.jpg$GEM.jpg

Got this a couple of weeks ago, tried it out of curiosity, also some GEM blades. I will send both to anyone who would like to try a shave with one.

GEOFATBOY REVIEW: http://youtu.be/84Nny3rbtPw

I don't believe this is a 1912 model, but same razor.

As you can read inside the head, that is a GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf.
A beautiful TTO razor with a bit more bite than the 1912.

2) PIF sometimes means “Pass It Forward”. This term has been used to describe special PIFs, where a member puts an item of theirs on loan for many members to pass it around and try out. They will build a list of around 10-20 participants. The item will be sent to the first person on the list to try out for a week, then it will be sent to the next person, and so on. At the end, the item is usually returned to the original owner of the item, or they may choose to PIF (Pay It Forward) it to one of the members of the Pass. However, this activity is normally called a pass around or just a pass (e.g. a razor pass, brush pass, soap pass, etc

I have that razor - don't care for it at all. If anyone tries it and likes it, please let me know and I can trade it to you for something.

Razor sent to Craig. If anyone else wants to try it, post here and Craig will send it to you when he's through with it.

I included 9 blades so you could have a fresh one, w/o having to buy one.

Well I tried out this Gem Razor today. First time with SE razor little bit different from double edge and it is slanted. Got pretty good shave with it and got like four nicks while one bleed for awhile. All and not a bad razor.:001_smile

Craig,

If your finished with it, DonInKansas wants to give it a whirl.
Don, could you IM Craig with your address.

Anyone else want to give it a try?

Got the razor yesterday and took it for a spin. Used Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose Soap.

Initial thoughts: This razor is mean. Granted I am still a relative newcomer to the wetshaving world, but this is the first razor I've used that I would say I got a truly uncomfortable shave with. Not sure if I couldn't get the angle of attack dialed in or what, but I got quite a bit of irritation, a couple nicks and 5 or 6 weepers out of my normal three pass shave. (WTG, XTG, ATG)

I should have stuck with two passes. The second pass was a SAS or better and I could feel some irritation starting to creep in but I wanted to try to do the full job. That was a mistake. The ATG pass was where I drew 90% of my blood and my face let me know I was stupid for hours afterwards. Going to try it again in a day or two now that I've used it once and learned some things to see if I can do better. I don't like giving up on anything after the first try.

Top Bottom