What's new

TGN High Mountain White Review - 22mm x 65mm

Shipping - 9/10 - Pretty Standard, first class shipping. Three business days from confirmation of payment. Ordered on a Saturday afternoon and received it on a Wednesday.

Measurement Accuracy: 5/10 - The bottom of the knot, where the glue holds everything together, is 22mm on the money. Rather than gradually widen upward, the knot mushrooms out to approximately 24mm. I'm not complaining about the extra hair, there was just a TON of extra milling that needed to be done to an already finished and treated handle in order for it to fit.

Softness: 10/10 - It doesn't get any softer than this, folks.....seriously. This is the softest knot I've ever touched. I thought I liked soft knots. If you are using hot water, you can't even feel it on your face. It is as soft of a knot that is manufactured.

Water Retention: 10/10 - This little baby holds a lot of water. I would say that it holds the most water a non-Chubby/ Stubby style knot has ever held that I've seen.

Backbone: 8/10: For such a soft, three-banded brush, this baby is has a fair amount of backbone. Face lathering was quick and done with the TOBS Sandalwood soap, the hardest in my arsenal. No problem with loading, it loaded very quickly. Held enough for two passes and easily a third. I didn't need one as I get a BBS in two with my ATT H-1 :biggrin1:

Miscellaneous: Between handling the knot to install it into the handle and the first shave actually using it, it has shed just under twenty hairs so far. In all fairness, I was pretty rough with it while trying to jam it into an undersized hole do to the misleading knot size. I will keep an eye on it and report any more issues.

Conclusion: This is a VERY soft knot, the softest I've ever used by far. I wasn't sure I would ever be able to use "too soft" to describe a brush, but that's exactly what this one is YMMV. This knot does have some backbone and it is of high quality. Some people may enjoy it, but I need a little scrub in my life. I, personally, would recommend their Super Finest knot. It's less expensive, almost as soft, has just as much backbone and provides just a little bit of scrub. In my personal opinion, I think that this hair might appeal more to me in a Chubby-style, extra dense brush. Maybe with a little extra density I could get that x-factor that I kept looking for but could not find when lathering with this brush. The 22mm is currently the largest size HMW knot sold on the site. You can pick it up on thegoldennib.com for $57.00 plus shipping.

Thanks for such a detailed review. I'm getting ready to order five knots from TGN. This is really helpful. (You might have saved me $20 x several knots.)

I thought it was also worth mentioning that I set the loft to 48mm. It's a little higher than I wanted but the way I turned the handle would have made for a very funny looking brush had I set it any lower.

Here's some quick pics I snapped off. Please don't judge the handle too harshly. It is my first and I had to hack the crap out of it to make the knot fit :(

$3.jpg
$22.jpg
$2 (1).jpg

Your take on the TGN HMW, Allin (good review, by the way) is about the same as mine. I went with a 24mm HMW for my Rubberset 400 and set the loft at 53mm. It's not the least bit floppy, and it is among the softest of my brushes. In my view the TGN HMW is a great knot and worth its cost, although I'd argue that the TGN Finest delivers the most bang for the buck.

You're probably your own worst critic, Allin-- I think your handle looks pretty nice, particularly for a first effort. I only recently got a lathe and began learning to use it, but I know first hand that turning a brush isn't necessarily as easy as it might appear.

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts it is much appreciated. I think your handle looks perfectly fine, keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more.

What wood is the handle?

Cheers.

I had Peter of Wolf Whisker set a 24mm TGN HMW knot in one of his gorgeous handles for me. I am a huge fan of this knot. Mine shed a few less hairs than yours when new, but it has finished with that and haven't seen a loose hair in quite a while now. The softness is nothing short of stellar. Like putting a cloud of warm lather on my face. Like you I find that it has plenty of backbone. This brush vaulted to my favorite position.

Nice job allin, looks good. Keep turning handles.

Thank you so much, Oscar. You guys are incredibly supportive. It means the world to me. I'm a little choked up to tell the truth. I am truly honored Very nice, gents.

Another note about the knot: my apartment has an awesome climate control feature. The thermostat keeps the humidity and temperature within two degrees/ three percent what it is set at.
Anyways, maintaining 72 degrees at about 30% humidity, this knot took almost 30 hours to dry completely. I've never seen anything like it. The water retention of this knot is unmatched to say the least.

Top Bottom