What's new

Is there a cure?

When it comes to information, this forum is great. But when it comes to financial management, it is the spawn of the devil. Thanks to you folks I have come down with a serious case of ASRAD (anything shaving-related acquisition disorder). After a few months into this new hobby, I have acquired a few vintage Gillettes, but that's about it. That is, at least until last week. Now I find myself going off the deep end.

Last week I purchased no less than three SEs: an injector, a Clog-Pruf, and a MMOC. Yesterday, I purchased a new brush from ShaverJoe. Today, well, I ordered 100 DE blades and 40 injector blades, two new soaps, and some pre-shave. Tomorrow, I plan to order a few soaps from Stirling and some hones for my straight. I may also get another strop while I'm at it, if there is any money left at that point.

Is there an end to this madness?!?!:scared:

Is there an end to this madness?!?!:scared:

Yes, but you'll have to spend a lot of time and money to get there. For me, the end came once I realized I had found the best supplies for me, and that continued acquisition wasn't getting me any improvements. But I had to try a LOT of different stuff to find out what worked. Every now and again, I do get a bit of a flare up, but nothing I consider unmanageable.

Last edited:
It's frowned upon to say it here, but I believe your cure is known as self restraint and delayed gratification. Two things which are becoming increasingly difficult to practice in this day and age when anything you could possibly want is a short click away.

Yes! This is how I was told to cure an extreme case of Acquisition Disorder.
1. Stick your head in a pail of water.
2. Take 10 deep breaths.

CURED

You'll go through peaks and valleys but eventually level out. I've culled my collection down to seven but never really went to high either. At my peak I might have been churning 12 or so razors if various models then realised what I liked and kept the best while selling off the others. Not really interested in much more maybe some unique ones that I find now and then but I'm content with what I have.

No cure but it will settle down after a few years. You will still have bouts of getting new things to try. It's been awhile since I bought much towards shaving, picked up four or so new razors, a few brushes, half dozen creams, about a half a gallon of different aftershaves. And I am bummed out about losing out on one razor. :001_unsur

I have been wet shaving for over a year, and it hasn't slowed for me any. Over the last month I have bought 21 razors. Sold 8. Bought 160 blades DE SE and injector. Had to talk myself out of buying even more stuff, and am currently bidding on several razors, and watching more. I want to try them all, lol.

I would think that OP is describing the normal pattern here at B&B. :001_cool:

It usually involves some purchases to get to know what YMMV in reality means. The concept of self restraint here is as often seen as an honest politician on TV. We've all been there...

First razors:

$Vintage Gillettes.jpg

then soaps:

$Lot of soaps.jpg

and don't forget the sticks:

$Lots of sticks.jpg

and some nice brushes to try out:

$A lot of brushes.jpg

One final advice: beware of the straights! I have luckily managed to avoid them, after some serious loss of blood :lol:

Enjoy your shaves!

It's very simple. Stop buying stuff. Go through what you have. Get rid of stuff you don't really like. See what you would like to try. See if someone will lend you that.

But the main point is: stop indiscriminately buying stuff. It's really not that difficult.

I have ended the madness, I am sticking to my DB89L and have sold/am selling my vintage razors.( I only have 3)

I have recently bought two straights, one to practice my honing with and a Dovo Silver Steel Ebony Straight, which is a wonder to behold. I hope to shave at weekends with the straight.

I use one soap, MWF and one Cream TOBS St Jermyn Street, I have two brushes not expensive models.

What I intend doing over time is buying a stainless steal DE (undecided which one) and a Theirs Issard straight, and thats it..

Might buy a large bulbous Badger , maybe two...

.. stoppitt....

It's frowned upon to say it here, but I believe your cure is known as self restraint and delayed gratification. Two things which are becoming increasingly difficult to practice in this day and age when anything you could possibly want is a short click away.

A fair point, but if I may speculate on the OP's thinking, I believe he was asking about when the urge to acquire stuff will dissipate. Restraint and delaying of gratification (always good qualities to practice, which plenty of us don't exercise enough - myself included) don't eliminate the urge. They just keep it in check.

I would think that OP is describing the normal pattern here at B&B. :001_cool:

It usually involves some purchases to get to know what YMMV in reality means. The concept of self restraint here is as often seen as an honest politician on TV. We've all been there...

First razors:

then soaps:

and don't forget the sticks:

and some nice brushes to try out:

One final advice: beware of the straights! I have luckily managed to avoid them, after some serious loss of blood :lol:

Enjoy your shaves!

Where are the aftershaves.

A fair point, but if I may speculate on the OP's thinking, I believe he was asking about when the urge to acquire stuff will dissipate. Restraint and delaying of gratification (always good qualities to practice, which plenty of us don't exercise enough - myself included) don't eliminate the urge. They just keep it in check.

Urges never go away. When one subsides, another will arise. All we can hope to do is try to control our urges, and not let our urges control us.

It's relatively cheap compared to, Scotch, cigars, swiss watches, or german sports cars. It's keeping me out of trouble I think. :)

Top Bottom