What's new

Help me pick a flashlight .

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh, like you don't have opinions ... :wink2:

So here's the criteria I'm looking at:

• USB rechargeable rather than disposable-battery-powered &c
  • small and easy to carry & stow in a coat pocket when not in use ... about the size of a Mini Maglite, give-or take (doesn't have to be that particular shape. But I'm looking for something that can be discreetly stowed when walking into stores, &c.)
  • Intended as an EDC for walking around town at night ... making sure motorists don't run me down in crosswalks or along the side of the road. I'd like to avoid BIG flashlights.
  • Hopefully comes with a belt holster.
  • Easy on/off single-handed, when wearing gloves.
  • durable and reliable in the longterm.

Price range? I'd like 500 lumens for $20, and year-long battery-life, please. :001_rolle Okay ... okay ... I get it. I don't have a "set" budget per se, although I'd like to keep it under $100 if I can. Really, I'd like to hit that "sweet spot" where the extra money you spent gets you a noticeably better flashlight than if you had tried to spend less, and spending more would mean spending a lot more to get marginal improvements. If you think that sweet spot is at $50 or $150 or wherever, let me know your thoughts.

I think Streamlight can be beat easily, I have had them and have shelved them for less expensive and better quality in Coast flashlights, don't get me wrong I think they are in themselves a good flashlight but dang ease up on the price tag. I have a 3 pack of 250 lumen Duracell flashlights from Costco I like better.

I have a Fenix, a Surefire, and a Streamlight. I like all of them. You really can't go wrong with any one of those.

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=90&tid=9&cid=1#.UuxbTVqYbIU

Just got one from e bay, seller took my offer of $65. 840 lumen output. It's about same length as mini mag light and diameter a little larger,

I will own this flashlight once I recover from my month long Shave Supplies binge. Will be using for general purpose use as well as CERT (Community Emergency Response Team). Did a lot of cross comparison and feel like this is definitely a lot of bang for the buck.

I have this one. It's not the brightest I've owned, but it has survived at least a half-dozen falls. I've had a few poop out after an accidental fall. This Maglite has a really slick mechanism in the tail switch.

A bunch of guys in my old security job ran streamlight stingers. I never got on because I was broke at the time. But they were really good lights. Some are rechargeable too. Maybe see if you can pick up a used one for a little cheaper. You can also get LED bulbs for your maglight if you have one already.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Check out monster flashlights.
my wife uses one for work everyday
it lights up everything and uses rechargeable 18650 batteries

Spend the money and get a Surefire- I have tried them all. Well almost. The Surefire is by far the best quality, lasts, built tougher and made here , where parts can be found if neccessary. Good luck.

Do you have a battery format preference? On the small side, with AAA there are lots of good options, and you can get a USB charger to charge 10440 batteries. Not every AAA flashlight can handle the increased voltage of rechargeables, but some can. There are just as many (if not more) options in the AA size, and the CR123a size as well. Good, consistent brands with solid price/performance include Fenix, FourSevens, Streamlight, Zebralight, Lumapower, and the "gold standard" Surefire (albeit they tend to be a bit more expensive.) There are definitely even more - but those are some that I have direct experience with.

Legion

Staff member
Personally, I much prefer a light that uses AA batteries. The time when you need a light will often be the time when the power goes out. If you find your rechargeable battery has gone flat you are #out of luck if you cannot substitute with a common disposable battery. With a AA light you can use rechargeable batteries if you want, and raid the TV remote, or whatever when you have to.

When the zombies come, and the power goes off, being able to forage for your batteries is a useful thing. When.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When the zombies come, and the power goes off, being able to forage for your batteries is a useful thing. When.

When the zombies come ... when ... I won't be relying on AA batteries, rechargeable batteries, or solar power.

Simple solution ...

proxy.php

Whatever you decide to get consider making sure it has a Cree LED light source. It's a chip type LED instead of a "bulb" type and they are a whole heck of a lot brighter and consume hardly any juice at all. I'd also go with AA batteries instead of rechargables. Alkaline batteries last longer and you can pick them up anywhere in a pinch. As far as brand goes, there are a lot of good ones out there in your price range that has these options. The only thing I'd add is I would stay away from Surefire. I've had a couple and they've always developed switch problems. Nothing I couldn't eventually fix but not worth the hassle.

Top Bottom