What's new

Shave mug clanking

I had the same problem with a shaving bowl (ceramic) where the lip curved inwards. I switched to a shallower bowl with flared sides, which worked wonderfully. I have since switched to loading the brush on tins and then face lathering, which works even better for me.

Short of finding a wider mouthed mug or elevating the soap inside as mentioned before, or padding the brush handle, I can't think of any other ideas off the top of my head.

I started using a Metlox cappuccino mug got a lot of the clanging, too. Then I picked up the Japanese rice/miso bowl which is a bit shallower/wider and BOOM!... No more clanging or finger smashing. Do the brush dimensions play a part? Look at the picture and the answer appears to be affirmative. As far as the inside textures go, the mug is smooth and the bowl has a little texture to it, but I can't tell the difference in ease of lather building.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 230
I have the same problem with the bowl that came with the vdh kit. The bowls too deep and not wide enough. Been shopping for a replacement. Or maybe we should try a scuttle...

I tried pulling the brush out of the bowl so the base of the knot was touching the sides of the bowl instead of the handle. But that seemed to be hard on the brush so I deal with it now until I find a replacement lather bowl.

I was struggling with the same problem for a while then for Christmas my wife got me a soup mug which worked great. But I started looking for something to travel with as it was too big. I struck out for a while till I was at goodwill and in the dishes area I found a wide shallow dish for $0.99. It is awesome

Use more of a pumping, twisting, up and down motion. avoid touching the sides of the mug. Or go to the hardware store and find rubber o rings. in the plumbing section. Put it around the part of your handle that is hitting the bowl. It still makes noise, but it is much easier to listen to than the clanging of plastic on a mug.

I love my green rubber Marvy mug and cheap plastic salsa bowl. Both unbreakable and stealth like in the noise department.

I've been using a latte mug which is very wide but has higher edges than our cereal bowls. Plus a handle. Now that it has come up I will try to see if I'm clinking.

Do you have any creams you can face lather for a few days?

From another thread, but it fits here...

With my high class tallow
And my high class blade
And a razor
That has a tip of Red

I went to lather jolly
It was total folly
And lost my mind instead

With the light blue clipper
And the off white glass
It was quite
The handsomest of mugs

I started to swirl
So I started to twirl
But all I could whip up was suds

Clang, clang, clang went my Plisson
Darn, darn, darn l did yell
Large, large, large were my bubbles
And my soap wouldn't lather so well

Chug, chug, chug went my elbow
Ouch, ouch, ouch my arm aches
Thump, thump, thump went the handle
Damn this mug for the lather it makes.....

Last edited by a moderator:
If one uses Williams in a mug, the clanking "noise" is like a church bell calling its followers for prayer.

Music to my ears...:biggrin1: Call for a spiritual awakening.

Not.

Love Williams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom