What's new

I am new to soaps. What are the 5 must have soaps in your opinion.

I've used a wide variety of creams but never soaps. What are the 5 essential soaps pucks that every shaver should have in their den? Also, what is the best way to store those pucks?

Last edited:
Pick any 5 of these:

Barrister & Mann
Haslinger Schafmilch (specifically the Schafmilch formulation)
Mike's
Panna Crema
Petal Pusher Fancies
Razorock
Stirling
Strop Shoppe
Tabac

Proraso or Cella
Arko
Barrister & Mann Cheshire
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Trumpers Coconut

And it should NOT have taken this long for someone to mention Trumpers Coconut.

I would continue with everyone above's suggestion of Mitchell's Wool Fat. You will read that people will have issues making lather with it sometimes but I would say it is a great soap, low scent but still pleasant smelling. I have a ton of Tcheon Fung Sing/Razorock and if we are talking hard soap, check out Bergamot Neroli a.k.a. Don Marco, which is like orange creamsicle. If you do find the scent pleasant, I also agree from above with Tabac. It has been a while since I have used it but I enjoy the smell, remember not using a ton of product and having great results with it. Give the Edwin Jagger line a look and then you could do the soft soap or cream in a tub. I have the Sea Buckthorn in soft soap and hard soap but also liked the Limes and Pomegranate, Aloe Vera, and Cooling Menthol. If you wanna get an English brand like Taylor of Old Bond, Truefitt and Hill, Geo F Trumper, or Dr Harris, I would say go hard soap via the D.R. Harris route and do Windsor or Arlington.

Are you open to soft soaps?

Barrister & Mann
Haslinger Schafmilch
Mitchell's wool fat
DR Harris
Mikes

With honorable mentions to
Petal pusher fancies
Stirling
Cella
Arko

My suggestion would be to get one soap and really get to know it- all the suggestions above are great but when I introduce someone to soap I always recommend a Valobra shave stick. The stick helps insure that a new soap user gets enough product on the brush and its arguably one of the best soaps available. They do have pucks available now if you are heart set on a puck. Good luck with your soap journey!

Tabac--a timeless classic that lathers so easily and performs so well that it will boost your confidence.

MWF--go ahead and try it. You know you want to. It's incredible when you learn to lather it. After Tabac, you'll think you're so good that you need a little challenge to keep you humble.

Cella--the most iconic of the Italian soft soaps. Intoxicating scent and luscious lather.

Mama Bear's--you need to try a melt and pour, glycerine type. MB's is probably as good an example as you can find, and with great scents.

Stirling--the ultimate Blue Collar Soap. A great performer from a great vendor who raises the bar of customer service to new heights. A bargain and a half.

MWF
Proraso (green/white/red)
DR Harris (I like Marlborough and Arlington but YMMV)
Mama Bear's

And a stick. It's like a rite of passage. Arko, Speick, Palmolive... They're all great.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
In alphabetical order.......

Arko
Cella (since the "old" P.160 is no more)
MWF
Speick
Tabac

I just store mine under the sink.

Tabac bowl
Tabac stick
DR Harris Almond
DR Harris Arlington
DR Harris Windsor

Seriously though, those two are some of the best and most readily available soaps on the market. They, along with Cella and RazoRock are my go-to soaps. I have others but these are the ones I seem to use most often.

A question like this will bring about an overwhelming response and many of the respondents have not tried enough soap, just telling you what they like based on limited purchases or even forum popularity contest with mediocre soap.

I have tried ever soap mentioned above and many more of which there are some great choices but I would say the Stroppe Shoppe special edition soaps with tallow are the best soaps on the market at any price. Baker Street and black tie are my favorite scents. They are not just better than most soaps ithey are significantly better with a denser and richer lather and the cocoa and shea butter combination is great for your skin.

The best value soap is the Razorock XXX tallow and Sterling Anise. The Sterling Anise is better than the other Sterling soaps, they are not all the same formula with scents. all are fine but the Anise is a real standout. Not a better value in soap with those two at $10 and $5 . If you were to get started with these three I think you would always use them in your rotation. After these try the tabac, MWF Martin de Candre (expensive) Panna Crema.

Coryforsenate above has one of the best lists.

Top Bottom