What's new

Teaching son to shave

My son is only 4. Yet my wife asks me today how I intend to teach him to shave. Do I teach him to use a brush and DE razor or do we start with a conventional cartridge or disposable razor and teach him to use Target purchased goo?

My temptation is to get him an HD when the time comes and teach him the better way to do things--goo shaving he could always learn on his own.

What do you all think?

I'd go right to the DE when he gets old enough.

Til then, you could get a disposable, rip out the blade, lather him up and let him shave with daddy. It's probably safe to say that your wife would find it adorable.

or something like this

proxy.php

I'd start em off with DE. Show him how you, your dad and his dad did it. Let him use a DE razor with no blade for now. Pass that torch!

just give him a spare DE without the blade now if you have one. Once he gets old enough start him right

It doesn't seem like there is anything to really show kids if they are just going to use goo and a mach3 or an electric.

My dad actually never taught me to shave. I picked up an electric and just started using it. Now I'm teaching myself how to shave for real with a str8. I think it would've been cool to have my dad show me some old school shaving when I was younger

I was never taught to shave, unless you consider having a Drill Sergeant yelling "Get that $*&% off your face!" teaching. I learned really quickly to scrape that goo off my face with a cartridge fast. Razor burn and irritation was just something I dealt with until I learned to take my time and pay attention to what I was doing.

I have an 8 year old son and plan to teach him the proper way to shave and care for his face. I plan on shopping for a cheap DE on eBay and letting him learn technique before he starts ever starts growing facial hair.

My son is 13 and I'm teaching nhim to shave with a DE...the same one my dad taught me how to shave with. He's been watching me for a while and rubbing his face. So I loaded up the black-handled SS I've been saving for this occasion with new Derby and said " OK. Let's see what you've learned by watching me". He did well, no cuts and finished BBS (of course he was practically there before the shave).

Sam

This might sound strange, but I feel like shaving with a DE razor is a real initiaition into the male experience. It just feels RIGHT. I'm really looking forward towards passing this tradition on to my son (he's only 1 1/2 so I have some time to wait).

In fact, becoming a father lead me to wet shaving. After years of using an electric, I realized two things. One, being a father means passing on traditions to the next generation. Two, an electric razor is definitely not a tradition.

great story!

My son is 13 and I'm teaching nhim to shave with a DE...the same one my dad taught me how to shave with. He's been watching me for a while and rubbing his face. So I loaded up the black-handled SS I've been saving for this occasion with new Derby and said " OK. Let's see what you've learned by watching me". He did well, no cuts and finished BBS (of course he was practically there before the shave).

Sam

This might sound strange, but I feel like shaving with a DE razor is a real initiaition into the male experience. It just feels RIGHT. I'm really looking forward towards passing this tradition on to my son (he's only 1 1/2 so I have some time to wait).

In fact, becoming a father lead me to wet shaving. After years of using an electric, I realized two things. One, being a father means passing on traditions to the next generation. Two, an electric razor is definitely not a tradition.

+1 yes indeed, I'm a new father also and can relate.

I've started a collection for my 5 yr old boy. So far he has a Merkur Classic, and a Rubie, both unopened.

For now he's practicing with a plastic Shrek shaving set.

I think I'll start my boys off with a DE when they are looking gross. Probably between 12-14 if they are like their dad. I first shaved with I was about 4 - I found a disposable razor in the bathroom and wanted to be like my dad so I put it to my face and went to town. It didn't last long I had a nice cut on my lip in about 2 seconds. When they are 16-18 or so I will show them a straight razor shave.

Austin

My son is about to turn 4 and he's already fascinated by me shaving with my DE. I definitely intend on teaching him to shave with a DE . . . probably my Merkur Classic or something else simple like that.

And I think you're right on the money. There's just something that "feels right" about teaching your son to shave with a DE.

Top Bottom