What's new

Too good to drink

Yeah. I have some shaving soap that is too good to use, too. Also, razor blades and brushes. NOT!

ALL of these things where made to be consumed. As was said already, you don't want to find yourself in your death bed - thinking about how glad you were that you saved the best for later - only to find out that it is too late.

Drink up. Enjoy. Live today!

^If I had that, you could just try and stop me from opening it up and sipping a little.

This stuff blew me away. I couldn't believe what I was tasting. I posted in this thread because it qualified for my "to good to drink" choice...but it didn't even last me a month once I opened it.

The people that gave you these gifts obviously want you to enjoy them so go on ahead and do so.

Looking at the bottles is nowhere near as enjoyable as tasting what is within.

I bought a bottle of utopias in 2008 (2007 brew) and couldn't find another bottle so i let it sit. I finally found a 2013 brew this year and intend to enjoy the 2013 and save the 2007 for when my daughter graduates college

I see where you're coming from. Once you venture out of the 12-15 year range, price alone warrants something more than "I just got off of work" to have a taste. Keep them around.

I keep good spirits around for my own enjoyment. I keep stellar spirits around for the right person and the right occasion.

Just thought I'd stick my head in to say that I'm in Canada too, and that doesn't stop me from drinking my lagavulin. It's true that I save it for when I'm in the mood for something nice, but that doesn't mean it has to be an occasion.

If you don't drink it and enjoy it, your children will.
+1

My father was a cheap whisky drinker. In later years he switched to G+T then almost nothing, but friends and family would still give him nice-ish whisky for birthdays and such. He only drank the good stuff if he had friends over who would appreciate it. Anyone who would adulterate it with anything other than a little water was given Famous Grouse, Teachers or JW.
The rest was given away, many bottles unopened, after he died. Even two small sampler bottles of Laphroig that I had bought him were untouched. The Jura that I pulled from his shelf was fantastic and Glenfiddich Special Reserve is going down slowly.

Which is my longwinded way of saying - Enjoy what you got now, while you still can.

Oh man, that is awful. I did not read your post until after I made mine. My condolences and I apologize for following that up with such a lighthearted post :(

Sorry man my fault, didn't mean to bring the thread down.

Other poster's I appreciate the thoughts, it's been a number of years. I'm waiting for the right time for it or for it to be given away to my other 2 kids if it never gets drunk.

I've been holding on to a bottle of Glenfarclas 25 yr scotch and a bottle of Jeffersons Presidential Select 25 yr bourbon for a special occasion. I might just have to make a special occasion.

I bought my self a bottle of Johnnie walker blue for a house warming gift to my self when I bought my first house. I wanted to save it for " special events" then drinking and playing cards with my close friends I said screw it, tomorrow is not promised and this might be as good as it gets and we killed the bottle.

I bought my self a bottle of Johnnie walker blue for a house warming gift to my self
My colleagues gave me one as a gift... it sat in a cupboard for a few years, i didn't dare to open it - just like you, i was waiting for a special occasion.
Than one day my wife told me she gave it away to some friends.... you did good!

Than one day my wife told me she gave it away to some friends....

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a bottle of Balvenie 21 port wood that I'm waiting to open.

The wife and I bought it on our honeymoon in London and agreed not to open it until we have our first child.

Here in Toronto the bottle runs around 400.

When I was just a wee young lad, we went on a Cunard cruise. My father picked up 6 bottles of QE2 12 year single malt. I know it isn't the best stuff in the world, but I have fond memories of drinking it with my dad on special occasions - when I was of age, of course. He passed away a few years ago and I still have an unopened bottle that I can't bring myself to drink. I wouldn't say it's too good to drink, but more the nostalgia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom