What's new

Who's Shaving with the RAREST Razor?

I know we have a thread that asks, "who's shaving with the oldest razor?" And many of those are indeed rare as hens teeth. But what about the one-of-a-kind razors? I wanna see what you got. Let's get this going. Post them here!

I'll start with this Brittain, Wilkinson & Brownell. Not the giant monster GB - we've all seen those. I'm talking about the tiny, baby George Brittain razor, that measures in at a dimunitive 3.75 inches. Never seen one like it. And I've only seen maybe 2 "baby" razors of a similar size - ever Pictured next to a 5/8" Harrison & Howson and a 10.5/8" Brittain, Wilkinson & Brownell for effect.

I'll be restoring this baby (literally) very soon!

$photo-1.jpg$photo-2.jpg$photo.jpg

Legion

Staff member
There were so many razor manufacturers over the years. I have had many which a google search turned up nothing. Is that how we measure rare?

There were so many razor manufacturers over the years. I have had many which a google search turned up nothing. Is that how we measure rare?

I'm thinking:
Rare grinds
Rare shapes
Rare manufacturers

If you scour razors everyday on Ebay, and you come across something you've never seen before, that is rare. Some guy on here with the Ottoman razor - rare.

I love threads like this.

My Rodgers Cambridge razor set seems pretty rare. They're the only two stamped and shaped in this way ive seen.

Or.. How about this one..

As far as I can see, not only the only razor made by Jennings I've been able to locate, but the only razor made in Australia. And this guy was renown for using Australian steel, so it may well be the only razor made with Australian steel around, too.

Not that he didn't make others, or that other makers weren't producing blades in Sydney.. just the only one I've ever come across in an exhaustive search

Not sure how rare it actually is but it is certainly not common. It is a JOSMON razor, one of the first razors made by a Señor JOSe MONserrat Pou.

I've got plenty of customs that are a one off so they're obviously rare. As for factory razors, I picked this one up on ebay France a little while ago. It's the only one I've ever seen.

$$(KGrHqNHJ!8E+PM0l7gMBQFUmNmm-g~~60_58.JPG

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Thomas Nowill 1804-1816. Rare because it has top and bottom jimps.
Thomas Nowill became Master Cutler in 1788.
attachment.php

I literally got goosebumps looking over what you guys have posted so far. I have never seen another of any of those (with the exception of the Nowill - only seen a handful of those, though).

Awesome!
:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

I think I've developed another disorder other while spending time on B&B. Not only have I developed several AD's but as of now diagnosis confirmed. I officially have straight razor envy! Nice blades guys. What's the point called and the grind on the cambridge and johnmrson french razor? Never seen ones like that before. Excellent.

I think I've developed another disorder other while spending time on B&B. Not only have I developed several AD's but as of now diagnosis confirmed. I officially have straight razor envy! Nice blades guys. What's the point called and the grind on the cambridge and johnmrson french razor? Never seen ones like that before. Excellent.

I christen it the cambridge point!!!

I have seen lots of French razors, but this one I have not.
Anything on the tang? On the picture, I see some kind of pattern that could be seen as being the wheel of the Beaujeu Dumontel, but it could also be just traces of patina.
The blade seems to says "Sans nom" which means without name, so maybe there are no markings.

I've got plenty of customs that are a one off so they're obviously rare. As for factory razors, I picked this one up on ebay France a little while ago. It's the only one I've ever seen.

View attachment 394030

I've got plenty of customs that are a one off so they're obviously rare.

I have to agree, if your talking truly rare, it's got to be a custom.
If you talking production rare... that's a little tougher to determine.
We would have to know how many they produced and how many remain. Most of the time "rare" is in the eye of the beholder.

That being said, I don't know if the Rodgers Cambridge Razor Set is rare but it is a SWEET SET!!!

I'm talking production rare. If semantics are the issue here, let's call it "uncommon" razors. Whose got very uncommon, production razors? Post them here!

Top Bottom