What's new

Who's Shaving with the RAREST Razor?

proxy.php

I've only seen one other W. Pepys. Doesn't look like much but it's half-hollow stub tail from the 1820s. Many years before hollow grinding became prevalent. William Pepys also made surgical instruments among other things. I believe this is the earliest hollow grind I've seen.

Legion

Staff member
proxy.php

I've only seen one other W. Pepys. Doesn't look like much but it's half-hollow stub tail from the 1820s. Many years before hollow grinding became prevalent. William Pepys also made surgical instruments among other things. I believe this is the earliest hollow grind I've seen.

Not that it matters, but it was the custom many years ago to regrind very old wedges and make them into hollows. I suspect that is what happened to yours.

I've got a 7/8 J Rodgers Sheffield that appears to have Chinese characters on the blade, I'll see if I can get a pic up later today. Haven't been able to find out much about it, anyone know anything about it?

Legion

Staff member
I've got a 7/8 J Rodgers Sheffield that appears to have Chinese characters on the blade, I'll see if I can get a pic up later today. Haven't been able to find out much about it, anyone know anything about it?

Probably one intended for export to Hong Kong. Many Sheffield makers survived on exports to the "colonies". Cadman, and their Bengalls are the most often encountered.

Last edited:
I have a Puma / Dubl Duck, but have seen a couple of those. Here are a couple I haven't seen any others of.

A NOS Bohler Steel with a 6 point star makers mark etched prominently on the blade. I contacted Bohler and they confirm it was one of theirs, and they did use the 6 point star pre-war. They had not seen the logo on a razor.
$2011-12-20_16-24-40_640.jpg$2011-12-20_16-24-32_968.jpg

A Robeson Shuredge with an unmodified 2 1/4" barbers notch blade and a HUGE wedge. If anyone knows anything about this one please let me know.
$2012-02-18_08-03-43_874.jpg$2012-02-18_08-05-26_470.jpg$2012-02-18_08-07-00_704.jpg

KindestCutofAll;5708578 A Robeson Shuredge with an unmodified 2 1/4" barbers notch blade and a HUGE wedge. If anyone knows anything about this one please let me know. [ATTACH=CONFIG said:
394339[/ATTACH]

I know that's an aftermarket wedge! I used to make my wedges too fat, also. Keeps the blade from sticking out of the scales too far. But I don't do it anymore bc it looks amateurish to me now.

I know that's an aftermarket wedge! I used to make my wedges too fat, also. Keeps the blade from sticking out of the scales too far. But I don't do it anymore bc it looks amateurish to me now.

I disagree with you... I like phat wedges when it compliments the razor but I will agree with you that the wedge in the pic is WAAAAYYYYYY too fat... Conversely I detest pencil thin wedges like on current production dovo'sdovo's

I have a Puma / Dubl Duck, but have seen a couple of those. Here are a couple I haven't seen any others of.

A NOS Bohler Steel with a 6 point star makers mark etched prominently on the blade. I contacted Bohler and they confirm it was one of theirs, and they did use the 6 point star pre-war. They had not seen the logo on a razor.

A Robeson Shuredge with an unmodified 2 1/4" barbers notch blade and a HUGE wedge.

The Bohler is cool. I had one just like it (not NOS) . It was a good shave, I ended up selling 2-3 years ago.

The Roberson is a neat little razor. While the razor maybe original (I'm not sure if it is) I would said say chances that wedge is original is less likely.
Never the less, both are nice!

It's gotta be the guy who's selling this razor... Sacrifice two ducks and butcher and you get the satin wedge rust monster

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387675930.978707.jpg

I disagree with you... I like phat wedges when it compliments the razor but I will agree with you that the wedge in the pic is WAAAAYYYYYY too fat... Conversely I detest pencil thin wedges like on current production dovo'sdovo's

The Bohler is cool. I had one just like it (not NOS) . It was a good shave, I ended up selling 2-3 years ago.

The Roberson is a neat little razor. While the razor maybe original (I'm not sure if it is) I would said say chances that wedge is original is less likely.
Never the less, both are nice!

The wide wedge is original. Notice the third pin to keep the blade from passing through. It is mounted in the scales but not pinned through. The pins at the wedge and pivot match and don't appear to be a repair.

The wide wedge is original. Notice the third pin to keep the blade from passing through. It is mounted in the scales but not pinned through. The pins at the wedge and pivot match and don't appear to be a repair.

If that wedge and those pins are original, then Robeson Shuredge, a very common brand, would have had to make more than one razor using carpenters' nails as pins and unnaturally large wedges. But I've never seen one...

Pailloux à Nantes c.1820-30

6/8", ivory scales scrimshaw... What can I wish more?

$orig_b 05.jpg$orig_b 07.jpg$orig_b 04.jpg

perhaps a Joseph Rodgers with carved mother of pearl scales...

$Rodgers Mop finito 03.jpg

or a couple of Fenney "Tally-Ho" with carved mother of pearl scales...

$Fenney finiti 03.jpg

All excellent shavers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom