What's new

Post pictures of your Pen Den.

Nice, it sure has a good amount of writing space. Is it sturdy when you write on it?

Very much so, the top and the top drawer are lockable to keep your work safe. You open the drawer to get your work out and leave it open and the writing top folds down and rests on the drawer top to take the stress. The top also has piano type hinges that may or may not be original, but are far more sturdy than chains or the usual flimsy straight hinges. I looked for a folding top desk like this for years and this one was the sturdiest design of any I've seen and the best condition and best price. I really got lucky.

When I found it I had to hover at it for almost an hour before my wife would come look at it. There were two ladies that were trying to buy it for one's son to take to college and use as a 'cheap dresser' as one put it. So I tore the tag off it and bought the darn thing.

Very Cozy and space saver too, are you going to refinish it?

Hey Alex,
I actually like the original look. Looks well used, but not cracked or chipped. I think Im going to leave it as is. Im thinking its early to mid 1900's, has flat head screws. I like how its small but just enough room to write comfortably. Has a drawer for storage and the enough room inside to place a few things too. Dude, it was only $25! I couldnt get my money out fast enough when the guy at the store told me! lol. Here is a picture of the outside...

$11427028735_29a1751f5d_z.jpg

Very much so, the top and the top drawer are lockable to keep your work safe. You open the drawer to get your work out and leave it open and the writing top folds down and rests on the drawer top to take the stress. The top also has piano type hinges that may or may not be original, but are far more sturdy than chains or the usual flimsy straight hinges. I looked for a folding top desk like this for years and this one was the sturdiest design of any I've seen and the best condition and best price. I really got lucky.

When I found it I had to hover at it for almost an hour before my wife would come look at it. There were two ladies that were trying to buy it for one's son to take to college and use as a 'cheap dresser' as one put it. So I tore the tag off it and bought the darn thing.
:biggrin1:2 more questions, were you looking for a sturdy writing desk, or did design play a primary role in decision making.....also, did you feel guilty for tearing off the tags before the ladies bought it or did the cheap dresser remarks compelled you to save the desk?

Hey Alex,
I actually like the original look. Looks well used, but not cracked or chipped. I think Im going to leave it as is. Im thinking its early to mid 1900's, has flat head screws. I like how its small but just enough room to write comfortably. Has a drawer for storage and the enough room inside to place a few things too. Dude, it was only $25! I couldnt get my money out fast enough when the guy at the store told me! lol. Here is a picture of the outside...

View attachment 394501
I agree, keep it original. Where did you buy it, garage sale or flea market, antique store?

That is so beautiful yet totally 100 percent functional. I love the way it has so many different nooks and crannies, at any angle there seems to be a small enclosure or shelf that serves a purpose. Finally the design of the desk has that classy elegant look that can fit with contemporary or traditional decor. Where did you get it?

I agree, keep it original. Where did you buy it, garage sale or flea market, antique store?

Yeah, the older look gives me inspiration! :) I got it at this tiny "mid century" antique/vintage shop locally in a small strip mall. They had posted a picture of it on Craigslist without a price just advertising the store. I stopped by and it didnt have a price on it. The guy working there didnt know the price either, called up the shop owner, asked and when she told him the price, he was even like, "wait, what?", lol. Took that little guy home and set it up. Its exactly what I wanted, a small, vintage desk with a few pockets. The front comes down, rests on the drawer for extra support. I need to find a key for the lock it has, that would be cool to have working again. Fits nicely in the corner of my little man-cave. Now to find a nice old chair to match!

Yeah, the older look gives me inspiration! :) I got it at this tiny "mid century" antique/vintage shop locally in a small strip mall. They had posted a picture of it on Craigslist without a price just advertising the store. I stopped by and it didnt have a price on it. The guy working there didnt know the price either, called up the shop owner, asked and when she told him the price, he was even like, "wait, what?", lol. Took that little guy home and set it up. Its exactly what I wanted, a small, vintage desk with a few pockets. The front comes down, rests on the drawer for extra support. I need to find a key for the lock it has, that would be cool to have working again. Fits nicely in the corner of my little man-cave. Now to find a nice old chair to match!
Can you take out the lock and send it to lock smith to replicate the key?

:biggrin1:2 more questions, were you looking for a sturdy writing desk, or did design play a primary role in decision making.....also, did you feel guilty for tearing off the tags before the ladies bought it or did the cheap dresser remarks compelled you to save the desk?

First, I was looking for a stout and sturdy desk and not a decorative piece, and that seemed how most of the desks I found were built. The rest I come across were in poor condition or were wood sick and fit for fire wood.

Second, I took the tag off and finished looking at a chair I was considering and walked up to the counter, met my wife at the same time and bought it. So I didn't tear the tag and walk around with it to 'hold' it for myself. I decided it was now or never when I heard them start digging for a phone to call the a husband to bring his truck to pick it up. So, I took the tag to the front and bought it, I was looking at it before they got there without walking away, and have yet to feel that I did something shameful.

That is so beautiful yet totally 100 percent functional. I love the way it has so many different nooks and crannies, at any angle there seems to be a small enclosure or shelf that serves a purpose. Finally the design of the desk has that classy elegant look that can fit with contemporary or traditional decor. Where did you get it?

My wife picked it out about 12 years ago. It may have been from Oak Express.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The pens in a nifty lil display my buddy Andy gave me: Uni Kuru Toga mechanical pencil (a PIF from Japan!), Sharpie Pen (surprisingly works very well), Custom made wooden pen (wish I could remember the kind of wood, my dads buddy made it long ago), Platinum Plaisir, Parker Sonnet, Cross. And some assorted ink samples.

And the desk they sit on. Old and busted up but does the trick!

Top Bottom