What's new

The Non-hobbyist restore/rescale picture thread (not official hobbyist for B&B)

I just got one but I have yet to pull it out of its box.
But I see exactly what you mean.
Also thick bone will not bend so you might have issues closing the blade fully in the scales if there is no tapered wedge and the tail of the blade is taperes (hard to explain without a drawing lol)

Also thick bone will not bend so you might have issues closing the blade fully in the scales if there is no tapered wedge and the tail of the blade is taperes (hard to explain without a drawing lol)
Yes, I had to use a wedge larger than if there was more flex.

First attempt with a rescale.

Far from perfect but far above the stock GD 300 hideously misaligned purple scales.

They're zebra wood cut scaled from the Hart steel razors. I coated with 2 coats of varathane. I had to plug the hole from an earlier error and the drill skipped while I was putting the pin hole.

I'm reasonably pleased with the outcome. Especially now that the blade doesn't hit the scale when I close it but the scales are a little large on that blade.

$uploadfromtaptalk1411319563177.jpg

Here is a Manhattan Cutlery Co. 13/16" near wedge that took nearly as long to hone as it did to polish up.
$104_1350.jpg
$104_1351.jpg
Sorry, again, for the poor pictures.

It took me a while, but I finished tonight the rescaling of my Juan Vollmer's Volcan #14.
I made the scales out of Californian Sequoia Redwood, with a Spanish Oak wedge.
$Open.jpg
$Closed.jpg$Volcan.jpg

Very nice!
I was pretty happy with how the CA turned out on the Sequoia and the overall razor look, then I looked at the pictures.
I thinned down the top near the pivot pin to try to recenter the hole and reworked the back curve a bit.
Nicer now, but I am thinking I'll stick to a simple shape next time.

Top Bottom