What's new

Need Help Pen for Wife

I am looking at getting my wife a Pilot 78G for Christmas. She has really pretty handwriting and normally uses a bic medium point pen. She hate fine point. she has a journal for everything. She is writing her book and does not like to use the PC. I was thinking of getting her a fountain pen. If I get the Pilot 78G what nib should I get? the medium or broad?
Also what ink? She likes blue a lot. Also a nice journal that will work with the pen and ink.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

Medium Nib, Pilot Sky High is a nice blue, and the B&B Essentail would make anyone a fantastic journal, if not the whole package the notebook inserts are very nice as well

Monteverde Blue is very fast drying which may help her being a lefty. And I would say the broad nib since its really a stub and she may like the variation.

I believe the B&B essential pen is still available.... and think of the nibs you could get for her.... extras swap out

If you settle on the 78G, the broad is actually an italic nib, and writes very nice. I found the medium 78g nib to be too fine for my liking.

But as Brian said, the B&B Essential is a very nice pen for the price. It has good weight and balance to it and there is no extra cost on a custom grind.

I would recommend the broad nib on Pilot pens as they tend to be a touch finer in width than advertised.

Sounds like a lovely thoughtful gift for your wife. 54th Massachusetts ink by Noodlers is $12 a bottle and an ink that is water soluble so washes out of the pen just fine but sort of forms or adheres to the paper as semi permanent. If she is writing a book some water resistance to her notes will be quite a good idea for her as a bit of insurance as she carries her notebooks around throughout the day.

The bic pens are usually fine or medium and thin barrels. If she favours a fine bic I would change my advice and suggest you pick out a medium pilot. The Pilot is a thinner pen so good pick. A Parker 51 with a medium nib would be a great pen for a writer also, they are durable and easily start when uncapped which made them so popular. A vintage 51 may be a good idea also.

Best of luck.

Oh yes as a lefty I find the ink I suggested not bad and ok to use even on slow drying Tomoe River paper. As for left handed pens of choice I do use a Parker 51 with a Minushkin 1.3 mm stub nib but for long haul writing I tend to use my MB 149 with an oblique medium. Use caution on italic nibs for a left handed writer the nib has a slant and if she is an over writer like me may prefer a left foot italic, and if a push style underhanded writer with a backward slant to her work she may prefer a right foot italic...my point is italic and stub nibs require a left handed writer to try them out first. You should be safe with a medium or broad nib that is a bit wet and starts easily. Sorry to split my reply....I just noted that you were buying for a lefty.

Oh yes as a lefty I find the ink I suggested not bad

Thanks

She is a under writer. I decided to get her a Lamy Nexx and some ink samplers, but I will keep your suggestions in mind and maybe get some samplers in that. I got the nexx so that she could change out the nib if needed. Now I just got to look at journals. I thought of maybe a bigger journal for her book and a smaller one for her yearly journal.

Thanks

She is a under writer. I decided to get her a Lamy Nexx and some ink samplers, but I will keep your suggestions in mind and maybe get some samplers in that. I got the nexx so that she could change out the nib if needed. Now I just got to look at journals. I thought of maybe a bigger journal for her book and a smaller one for her yearly journal.
you should sign her up on gouletpens.com for their monthly ink sampler... you get random samples of ink, every month. it's awesome.

Now after Christmas I am going to be looking for a Parker 51 or a Parker 45 GT for me. I just have to see if she even likes writing with a fountain pen.

Whether you like vintage or not, I think everyone needs at least one 51 in the collection.

Top Bottom