What's new

Many many straights do you have/use and what is your favorite?

The answer is that I've got too many, but not enough. The number is going down but they are more than 40, perhaps 50+. Who knows and who cares? Like a good Far East king from the old days I'm wise enough not to pick a favorite among my harem.:001_smile

I've got about 8 - a few modern and a few vintage.
The best vintage shaver I have is a near-wedge Bengall Cast-Steel My Superfine is a close second...
Both take a great edge and really get close.

The moderns that I have are both Hart Steel. One came to me without the best edge, but after a slight amount of work it's a fantastic razor.

The vintage blades have a little more mojo than the moderns, but they also take a little more care when I break out the stones.
The Hart's came in with a perfect bevel and they're a snap to hone.

I have 8 in shave ready condition that I work my way through one at at time. My favourite is still my first razor a 6/8th Bengall with heaps of hone wear and crappy plastic scales. I have honed and shaved with it so many times its an extension my hand and is what I compare all others to. I have a NOS Heckles stainless thats very nice and a couple of TI's and really good examples of vintage razors from Germany and England. All are great but I like the old worn Bengall the most :)

I have about 30 straights, or so; vintage, modern, and custom. My favorite also is an ugly old Bengall who adopted me.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have 15 ish. Only really use three, a filly 14, a 7/8 dorko and my favorite, a 6/8 boker red injun 102.

I have 16 that I am currently using with an Opinel and a Fontanelle that are waiting to be honed. I have about a dozen that need either honing or need scales. My favorite? The one that is in my hand at that moment!!

My rotation:

11/16 Ed Wusthof #83 (First straight I ever shaved with)
6/8 Le Grelot Royal Canada
5/8 Robert Klaas, Ohligs, Prussia (First razor I honed- Thanks Marc!!)
5/8 Dubl Duck Goldedge
11/16 George Wostenholm Pipe Razor
5/8 Robert Klaas Kissing Cranes
13/16 Filarmonica #14
11/16 Mappin & Webb "Nulli Secundus"
13/16 Bengall
6/8 Art of Shaving Thiers-Issard
11/16 J.A. Henckel #415
11/16 Wade & Butcher
11/16 Puma #91
5/8 Red Imp #132 by Case USA
5/8 Boker Warrior
6/8 Johan Engstrom Frameback

14 currently, but always looking for another that grabs my fancy. I'm pretty evenly split between new and vintage. Favorites change weekly, but right now it would be: Vintage - Friodur 472, and New- Revisor 6-0003.

I have 16 that I am currently using with an Opinel and a Fontanelle that are waiting to be honed. I have about a dozen that need either honing or need scales. My favorite? The one that is in my hand at that moment!!

My rotation:

11/16 Ed Wusthof #83 (First straight I ever shaved with)
6/8 Le Grelot Royal Canada
5/8 Robert Klaas, Ohligs, Prussia (First razor I honed- Thanks Marc!!)
5/8 Dubl Duck Goldedge
11/16 George Wostenholm Pipe Razor
5/8 Robert Klaas Kissing Cranes
13/16 Filarmonica #14
11/16 Mappin & Webb "Nulli Secundus"
13/16 Bengall
6/8 Art of Shaving Thiers-Issard
11/16 J.A. Henckel #415
11/16 Wade & Butcher
11/16 Puma #91
5/8 Red Imp #132 by Case USA
5/8 Boker Warrior
6/8 Johan Engstrom Frameback
That is a very well composed collection.

Palmera Especial 14, Palmera 14, & Palmera 14
Filarmónica Doble Temple 14 JMP
P. Hospital Le Grelot '357'
Genco 'Army & Navy'

The three Palmera are listed separately, as they represent all three iterations of Juan Vollmer Palmera which I can distinguish. The first generation, JMP signature Filarmónica Doble Temple 14 is, in my opinion, the truest representative of the brand and this one is a fine specimen at that. Before I developed an appreciation for absurdly-sized Spanish razors, French steel was my thing, particularly pre-Thiers Issard Le Grelot. This well-designed 357, from its smartly peaked and jimped thumbnotch to graceful round nose and gentle, yet assertive quarter-hollow grind, captures every elegant aspect that originally attracted me to this sport. It's also quirky in that there don't seem to be any other pre-TI 357s floating around in 7/8 (which also helps it match the Spaniards).

With the exception of the 5/8 Genco, I would be hard pressed to allow any of these to escape. I regretfully sold two of the above razors years ago and had all but given up on ever seeing them again before providence saw them back home this year. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
I currently Own 6 with one on the way, (A 13/16 Aporis 777), and with the exception of the Monarch which is down for re-scaling I use them all. If I had to pick a favorite I honest couldn't do it. My Top three are the ERN 32 Crown and Sword, The ERN 1106 Eagle & Snake and the Genco Master Cutler.

Top to Bottom:
1: 7/8 McCoy & Sanders Monarch
2: 6/8 ERN 1106 Eagle & Snake
3: 5/8 ERN 32 Crown & Sword
4: 6/8 Lyon Bros Improved Eagle
5: 5/8 GENCO Master Cutler
6: 9/16 Gebr Krusius Gouverneur 65

$20150912_213009-1.jpg

Top Monarch with the scales my 15 Year Old Son Made today, (So Proud of him!!)
Left to right
1: 9/16 Gebr Krusius Gouverneur 65
2: 5/8 GENCO Master Cutler
3: 6/8 Lyon Bros Improved Eagle
4: 5/8 ERN 32 Crown & Sword
5: 6/8 ERN 1106 Eagle & Snake

$20150912_212637-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. I've been focusing on what might well present a country. I'm sort of stumped with Italy. What are some good brands of vintage Italian razors?
I wish I could help you, but the only manufacturers I have a larger knowledge of are the Swedish. Even so I'm pretty sure that Mango (Antoine) would be more than willing to help if you send him a PM.

7 total, 6/8 Mastro Livi, 2 6/8 Aust, 1 5/8 aust, 2 5/8 Genco and a Boker 6/8 Silver Steel. Some pictures attached. I have another 6/8 Mastro Livi with a Spanish point on order. Mastro Livi is my favorite.$IMG_0111.jpg$IMG_0121.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_0110.jpg
    $IMG_0110.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 84
Palmera Especial 14, Palmera 14, & Palmera 14
Filarmónica Doble Temple 14 JMP
P. Hospital Le Grelot '357'
Genco 'Army & Navy'

The three Palmera are listed separately, as they represent all three iterations of Juan Vollmer Palmera which I can distinguish. The first generation, JMP signature Filarmónica Doble Temple 14 is, in my opinion, the truest representative of the brand and this one is a fine specimen at that. Before I developed an appreciation for absurdly-sized Spanish razors, French steel was my thing, particularly pre-Thiers Issard Le Grelot. This well-designed 357, from its smartly peaked and jimped thumbnotch to graceful round nose and gentle, yet assertive quarter-hollow grind, captures every elegant aspect that originally attracted me to this sport. It's also quirky in that there don't seem to be any other pre-TI 357s floating around in 7/8 (which also helps it match the Spaniards).

With the exception of the 5/8 Genco, I would be hard pressed to allow any of these to escape. I regretfully sold two of the above razors years ago and had all but given up on ever seeing them again before providence saw them back home this year. Lesson learned.

Here's a lazy photo.

proxy.php

Top Bottom