What's new

Production reasonably priced 1911

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ok. So I want a 1911. Living in Japan in my youth I had several 1911 Airsoft replicas and have been smitten by the look and feel of them ever since.

Fast forward a few decades and I still feel drawn to them. However I really don't want to spend 3 grand on a nice custom, so something like a Ruger SR1911 is probably my best bet.

So far reading the reviews the Ruger is good enough for range plinking and maybe home defense. And it has all the cosmetic accoutrements that makes it look nice to me.

I know it won't have the tight tolerances of custom, but will I be horribly disappointed with a budget 1911? For a few Benjamin's more I can upgrade to a P220 or the new P227...but they aren't a 1911.

I realize it is a huge YMMV thing, but any advice would be great.

You can't go wrong with a Colt. They'll run about a grand and work out of the box. It won't be a Wilson or a Nighthawk, but realistically, you have no frame of reference to compare. I've shot 1911s worked on by Heinie and Novak personally, handled a couple done by Larry Vickers (even when he was building 1911s regularly, you could count the number per year on your hands and have fingers left over) as well as shot hundreds more. A factory Colt will do you fine for many years.

The newer Ruger and Remington do well out of the box from what I've seen. Springfield's lineup is solid, I own a Mil-Spec and if you want a little bit nicer gun, the Range Officer is a good target pistol.

Read anything and everything Scott Reitz, Larry Vickers, Kyle Lamb and Hilton Yam have to say about 1911s if you choose to use one for defense. I have in the past, my current one can fill in for that role currently, but I don't run one as my primary piece.

All 1911s can be finicky on magazines. Wilson 47D's and Chip McCormick Power Mags are probably the two most reliable brands out there which run in almost any 1911.

Springfield range officer is good, and can be had for 750 or so. I like the para ordnances. Sig Sauer also makes a good 1911.

I own a Ruger SR1911. I have no complaints. My dad has an original Colt from 1916. The Colt is nicer to shoot and operate, but for a modern inexpensive 1911, I don't think you can beat the Ruger. I'm not really a 1911 guy though, so some of the other guys on the forum probably have more relevant advice.

I have a Taurus 1911 clone that I love. It was about 5 bills when I bought it. I have two Taurus backups a Millennium Pro subcompact .40 and a model 605 stainless snub nosed .357 that I bet my life on daily. In my opinion Taurus firearms are dependable and one of the best values available.

Kimber Custom II.
I pick mine up for $600 and have put through more then 5K roungs without a hiccup. Nothing fancy, no night sights or anything but it is my favorite gun to take to the range. Less hiccups then my Sig or Nighthawk 1911.
I know some people are dead set against Kimber but I love mine and it feels like it has gotten more accurate the more rounds I put through her.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks for the info so far guys. Lotta research to do...but that's the fun stuff!!!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Kimber Custom TLE II, about a grand, but it comes with night sights (Mepro tritium), great gun. Mine just had 700 rounds through it and never a hick-up. Both the mag that came with the gun and Wilson Combat mags work flawless.

1911's and I don't mix sadly but I know a couple people who have the Ruger and love it. A couple others like the Remingington. personally I'd rather spend a little more and get the Sig or S&W.

Springfield will give you good value. I have a Loaded stainless that eats anything I feed it.

Sig 1911s may be a bit of a hot button topic as most of their models have slides that have a different profile than other 1911s.
In any case, they are (or were last time I checked) a really good value as Sig tries to get a toe hold in the 1911 market (I assume). I picked up one of the stainless models 1+ year ago...night sights, front strap checkering, nice wood grips, de-horned for well under 1K.
$a41336b8.jpg

As others have mentioned, Colts are great but may not be as easy to find.
Kimber seems to have those love them and those who think they are over-rated for the price. Those who like them swear by them. I have one on my 'to-get' list.

Living in California, I don't have the opportunity to easily obtain the Ruger or Remington as they are not on the Cali DOJ approved list. They are not even available to try out at the range for the same reason. I am curious about those as well.

Good luck.

Para Ordnance is possibly the best value out there. A well made in the USA (NC) firearm that has a great finish and fit; for about $600 and up what's not to like? They DO take about 300 rounds or so to break in. After that....flawless,

I wouldn't touch a current production Para-Ordnance or Kimber. Taurus isn't even on the list.

Since Ted Szabo died specifically but in the last 10 years or so Para's quality control really took a dive. Kimber's did when they came out with the "II" series guns. Most serious 1911 smiths won't even accept them for work these days simply because there's too many screwups in them right out of the box.

For general range plinking any of them for work, but if you mean to use it for defense, serious competitive shooting, etc....stay away from those particular brands. Rock Island is fine for plinking and to learn about 1911s, but not for serious use without a lot of work either.

In the 'good to go' category, Smith & Wesson and Dan Wesson (the "Valor" line) are also excellent.

I'd avoid Painted Ordnance (finish is air soluble) and Kimber. As usual, I concur with Mr Murphy. Would strongly recommend an M&P .45 but sometimes you just gotta have something impractical :)

"Cheap" and "1911" are words that don't go together unless you shoot a box or so of ammo a year.

I wouldn't touch a current production Para-Ordnance or Kimber. Taurus isn't even on the list.

Since Ted Szabo died specifically but in the last 10 years or so Para's quality control really took a dive. Kimber's did when they came out with the "II" series guns. Most serious 1911 smiths won't even accept them for work these days simply because there's too many screwups in them right out of the box.

For general range plinking any of them for work, but if you mean to use it for defense, serious competitive shooting, etc....stay away from those particular brands. Rock Island is fine for plinking and to learn about 1911s, but not for serious use without a lot of work either.

In the 'good to go' category, Smith & Wesson and Dan Wesson (the "Valor" line) are also excellent.

This is consistent with everything I have heard and read. I think this is pretty sound advice.

What is your opinion of the Ruger SR1911? They seem to be generally well regarded.

I have yet to shoot one. The three or four I've handled 'appeared' properly built but without rounds through them.....couldn't say.

I've generally heard good reviews of them, but those are from typical box-a-trip shooters, not someone who really knows what's what. Ruger generally gets things pretty right, so odds are, they'll hold up well to a typical diet of shooting but under hard use (training, competition).....no idea how they'll do.

I'd go with Colt if you can find one. I have had both the Combat Elite and Combat Commander, and both were great shooters. They each ran me right at 1K before tax.

Top Bottom