What's new

Production reasonably priced 1911

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks Noel! Maybe it would be better for a noob to the 1911 platform to spend less than more. Although I must admit the higher priced ones do look nice.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Look in your local gun shops. Last year I picked up a S&W 1911 with the Scandium frame for about $800. The gun had not seen much use at all. I put about 1000 rounds through it and had not one problem at all. No need to get a brand-new gun if you can pick up a good used one for much less money - just make sure you buy at a reliable dealership.

I have a Ruger sr1911 and have no complaints. This is my only 1911 but it has been almost flawless for close to 3,000 rounds with nothing but springs at 1,500.
It runs flawless on the factory mags(checkmate) and a handfull of checkmate 8 rounders I have also purchased.
I have ran flat points, round nose, swc, and numerous different brands of hollow points through it.

I own a Springfield Champion and have shot a GI model. Loved them both. That love included the price. It's been a few years since I bought mine, but the trigger on my champion was very nice out of the box.

One more vote for the Rock Island. I love mine. It is, however, partial to 230 gr. ammo for accuracy. I have never had a misfeed of any bullet profile I've put through it. Buy good quality mags. Otherwise the slide will not lock when the mag is empty. Also, go with the tactical sights. The combat sights are way to difficult to pick up in anything but bright sunlight. Of course I should honest and admit I wear bifocals and have cataracts. Be aware this is a utility gun. It won't win any beauty contest. But then again, mine doesn't sit in the safe. I carry it every day.

Has anyone had any experience with the Rock Island compact 9mm 1911's? This is looking like an attractive CCW but I can't find anywhere local that has one to handle and/or shoot. I don't mind buying through Bud's Gun Shop or another online retailer as I have a great local FFL I use for transfers, but I would like to at least handle one first.

You can't go wrong with a Colt. They'll run about a grand and work out of the box. It won't be a Wilson or a Nighthawk, but realistically, you have no frame of reference to compare. I've shot 1911s worked on by Heinie and Novak personally, handled a couple done by Larry Vickers (even when he was building 1911s regularly, you could count the number per year on your hands and have fingers left over) as well as shot hundreds more. A factory Colt will do you fine for many years.

The newer Ruger and Remington do well out of the box from what I've seen. Springfield's lineup is solid, I own a Mil-Spec and if you want a little bit nicer gun, the Range Officer is a good target pistol.

Read anything and everything Scott Reitz, Larry Vickers, Kyle Lamb and Hilton Yam have to say about 1911s if you choose to use one for defense. I have in the past, my current one can fill in for that role currently, but I don't run one as my primary piece.

All 1911s can be finicky on magazines. Wilson 47D's and Chip McCormick Power Mags are probably the two most reliable brands out there which run in almost any 1911.

I would take what Mr. Murphy has to say as the gospel, he's obviously very dialed in. Murphy, great list of instructors/authors.

Has anyone had any experience with the Rock Island compact 9mm 1911's? This is looking like an attractive CCW but I can't find anywhere local that has one to handle and/or shoot. I don't mind buying through Bud's Gun Shop or another online retailer as I have a great local FFL I use for transfers, but I would like to at least handle one first.

I have one and carry it often. With the GOTE holster, it sits lovely and takes a bunch if different mags (currently a Kimber in there)

I'd be happy to let you check it out but I'm not sure how I'd do that?

ill get a pic up

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Do all you RIA 1911 owners have multiple 1911s or is that your only one?

I have a double-stack RIA 9mm. I had to tweak my loads and my mags a little to get it to run right, but I also have most of the specialty tools already. I also have two Kimbers, an STI, a Springfield and an AMT longslide. They're all quite reliable, but I only carry the Kimbers.

I want a Sig, but I can never justify it, and I really don't like Series 80 style guns, which all Sig 1911's are. Kimber does the firing pin block right, actuating it with the grip safety instead of mucking up the trigger.

I have a Springfield GI model in stainless & have absolutely zero complaints.

I have the Stainless Mil-Spec...my brother is the LGS owner, so I got it just under $600. The only issue i"ve had is FTF hollow point ammo, the feed ramp needs a polish, and I need to use a hollow point with the little plug in the end (like Hornady, et al.).

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just to update this thread with a resolution:

I just put in an order for a Springfield Range Officer with my FFL. Here are my reasons:

Springfield's Customer Service.

:lol:

Of course price had a lot to do with it. At 725.00 out the door it was half of what a the LGS wanted for a TRP, 300.00 less than a Sig and it's external extractor, 500.00 less than a Colt Railgun. Also that's all my FFL could find in stock:wink:.

After much debate I steered away from the Sig as the external extractor seemed to offer less opportunity to trouble shoot should it be faulty. In the end should anything go wrong I have a good feeling that Springfield will make it right, and that was the greatest deciding factor.

The next prey I am stalking is going to be a .357 revolver...

Top Bottom