What's new

Alum: cold vs. hot water

I have been using an alum block since switching to wet shaving, and noticed that it didn't always like to move smoothly across my face. Then one morning I switched to running it under warm water instead of cold, I believe by accident, and found that it moved much smoother. It then got me thinking, what do the rest of you use?

I do not use alum for shaving but i do use a stone for deodorant. I have to agree that hot water makes all the difference in how smooth my stone feels under my arms.

I typically use warm water, I have never tried hot. In the summer time I normally use cold. But maybe you are on to something with this hot water scenario. I will give it a shot!

I typically shave in the shower and rub it on right after I rinse off. So it's warm to hot. I have used it with cold water as well. Either way is fine for me.

I use it with cold water. I also rinse it off with cold water after a minute or so (while rinsing the brush and cleaning the bowl).

Warm water for the shave, dip the alum block; apply it to my face, and sometimes feel the sting depending. Then rinse with cold water to close the pores.

I use cold with my alum, I am thinking maybe hot water may dissolve it quicker never tried it but cold works for and and I'll stick with it.

I don't wet it. I rub it over my face right after the last rinse of my face, without drying off my face. So my face is dripping wet and the block just glides right over.

Apparently you are right. Potassium alum solubility in water increases with temperature: 14.00 g/100 mL (20 °C) vs 36.80 g/100 mL (50 °C)

My alum block is a consumable, not collectable. I've been using the same one for a year or more and yes it's smaller but still works great as I apply it post-shave. I agree with Gus and Johant as well, in the 'whatever works' department...no worries Mates!

Top Bottom