What's new

"Singing" Razors

So, what makes them "sing"? I have two razors that just ring away on the strop. One is a Fili #14 re-brand; the other a big TI. The sound is subtle but unmistakable from the TI. The #14 practically shouts.

There does appear to be some variation in each razor's song as they go back and forth, but it's not clear to me what is causing this: speed, pressure, angle, edge, other. Any idea?

What other razors are known to sing? Do I correctly assume only hollows will sing?

The thinner the grind the more singing.

I have found the Fili 14's sing the loudest, they are amongst the most hollow/big blades i have seen

My Dorko #856 sings loudly when I strop it. I would imagine it has something to do with hitting the resonant frequency of the blade that makes it sing? Just a wild guess....

This 15/16 Wacker can be heard singing fifty feet away.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 155

Legion

Staff member
Japanese "Elephant" razor. It was made on another planet. Possibly one without liquid water, as it will oxidise if you look at it too long. It is redonkulously thin as well. A strange creature.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I wish I liked those paper thin blades. I may need to try one again.

Japanese "Elephant" razor. It was made on another planet. Possibly one without liquid water, as it will oxidise if you look at it too long. It is redonkulously thin as well. A strange creature.

Great shot. Love how the hand holding the razor is out of focus like that. Maybe my monitor's off, but the flesh tone seems a bit purplish-magenta from my end.

Haven't heard a singing razor in a while. I think I've just become used to them.

Top Bottom