What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I was floored upon opening this package. The seller is a top notch couple who took a lot of time to carefully and beautifully wrap my purchase. I wish I could buy everything from them. The cost was extremely reasonable and I wound up with something very nice.

I think I have a British 460B? set. The serial number is on the handle at the bottom. F233237. The razor has the logo stamp on bottom of cap and top of base, also the G in D stamp on the bottom of the base. The case has the patent date info along with the British dates stamp. Came with a bunch of French Gillette blades in cardboard French language boxes. I happened to have a couple blade boxes to fill the set.

What is up with the serial number? Can't find it anywhere and it doesn't seem to match the US or Canada date codes. What year is this?

It might well be a British patent number? For French market?

Here you have a couple of interesting threads. Lots of information

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/396922-Gillette-Single-Rings-with-British-Patent-Numbers

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_England_Dating_Information

And BIG congrats!:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Just picked up a Gillette Goodwill with etched cap. I love Goodwill razors and have been on the lookout for this one for a couple of years. It's basically free as I traded an old brass firehose nozzle for it.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Just picked up a Gillette Goodwill with etched cap. I love Goodwill razors and have been on the lookout for this one for a couple of years. It's basically free as I traded an old brass firehose nozzle for it.
proxy.php

Nice, very nice! Congrats!:thumbup1:

Such a Goodwill is on my wish list too.

It might well be a British patent number? For French market?

Here you have a couple of interesting threads. Lots of information

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/396922-Gillette-Single-Rings-with-British-Patent-Numbers

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_England_Dating_Information

And BIG congrats!:thumbup1:

Found a lot of info thanks. Looks like mine was made in England for the French market. Still not sure on the date range but I guess it is about the same time as the 460B set 1910 or so. There is a chart a couple years old one of the members made regarding the British sets and serial numbers like mine. I wonder if it has been updated?

proxy.php

Very nice razor, I'm a big fan of the Goodwills too.

Glenn

After seeing the haul that [MENTION=107721]RockyMountainWetShave[/MENTION] scored on 4/19. I had to make a trip down to what must be the best place to find vintage razors in the Denver metropolitan area.

First off I scored a No-Date-Code 40's Super Speed with the notched center bar. Thanks [MENTION=107874]Gallen1119[/MENTION] for taking the time to clean it up. It looks great.
$IMAG0309[1].jpg$IMAG0310[1].jpg

The brown case is the other score. I was talking with the proprietor when someone found it at the back of the store. Inside is a Plisson brush that needs some restoration and a nice F2 Flair Tip that only needs a little work to be shave ready.
$IMAG0313[1].jpg$IMAG0314[1].jpg$IMAG0315[1].jpg

I really like this store and hope that she can keep finding cool vintage stuff. (As I was there she was talking to another customer who said he has "a pile" of old DEs. She told him that they are the hottest thing in her store and that she would love to buy them. I hope he sells to her.)

There is one thing that I did not buy, however, which I really wanted to. She has a Flair Tip in the original white plastic case with the Gillette blue blade pack still included. There are a few cracks in the lid, but it is in good shape and closes securely. I wanted to buy it but turned it down since I now own 4 Flair Tips. [MENTION=107721]RockyMountainWetShave[/MENTION], [MENTION=107874]Gallen1119[/MENTION], [MENTION=108196]dexutter[/MENTION], or one of my other Denver/Colorado Springs peeps should head down there tomorrow and snap it up. She has it in the display case under the front counter.

After seeing the haul that @RockyMountainWetShave scored on 4/19. I had to make a trip down to what must be the best place to find vintage razors in the Denver metropolitan area.

First off I scored a No-Date-Code 40's Super Speed with the notched center bar. Thanks @Gallen1119 for taking the time to clean it up. It looks great.

The brown case is the other score. I was talking with the proprietor when someone found it at the back of the store. Inside is a Plisson brush that needs some restoration and a nice F2 Flair Tip that only needs a little work to be shave ready.

I really like this store and hope that she can keep finding cool vintage stuff. (As I was there she was talking to another customer who said he has "a pile" of old DEs. She told him that they are the hottest thing in her store and that she would love to buy them. I hope he sells to her.)

There is one thing that I did not buy, however, which I really wanted to. She has a Flair Tip in the original white plastic case with the Gillette blue blade pack still included. There are a few cracks in the lid, but it is in good shape and closes securely. I wanted to buy it but turned it down since I now own 4 Flair Tips. @RockyMountainWetShave, @Gallen1119, @dexutter, or one of my other Denver/Colorado Springs peeps should head down there tomorrow and snap it up. She has it in the display case under the front counter.

Great score. Congrats.

Dang! I missed that guy. I love the brush you got though [MENTION=108562]dkeester[/MENTION]! That's a beauty. One of these days we should all get together and take on the whole street of shops!

Great score. Congrats.

Thanks.

The razors have solid plating. The brush is shedding heavily and might need a new knot. However, I figure even if the brush can't be restored (there are a couple of cracks on the handle that I didn't notice earlier) that leather pouch will clean out nicely and will be a good travel case. So, it was a very fruitful outing.

Great job Alan! How did you clean the case, I have one similar that I have not taken to far yet.

Not sure if Alan has responded yet or how he did it but my method is to use the baking soda/aluminum pan trick first, then you can use silver polish on the silver cases. It is fairly thick but use light pressure and a soft cotton rag. Switch to a clean one for the finish. I have received a couple sets where so much polish was put onto the case or the rag that polish intruded into and onto the lining. Always dab a small amount of polish and rub it into the rag, then go to work on the item. Seems Gillette gold plating is too thin for polish so I use only baking soda and a bit of water with bare fingers on that then soft cloth. Anything else will burn right through to the brass.

Look what the mail man brought in! And I don't even like gold tone razors. Now Ill have to throw them out. :facep:
It's high time to change the postman, eh!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom