What's new

Namiki Falcon with Soft Fine (SF) Nib: Pen Review

$P1090674.jpg

This is a great pen. I chose the soft fine nib (SF). Compared to Pilot’s #10 FA nib, which I had in a Custom 742, the SF is a semi-flex nib. It requires quite a bit of pressure to fully flex the nib. It makes my hand tired pretty quickly if I’m trying to flex the nib a lot as I write. I have read that these nibs soften up a bit as they break in and become a little easier to flex. During normal writing, however, the nib bounces along and adds a little character to my writing. It’s a joy to use, and it provides some tactile feedback and a fair bit of noise, which I don’t mind.

$P1090671.jpg

The pen barrel and cap are molded plastic, but I knew that going into the purchase. It would be a nicer pen if the nib/feed were set in a Franklin-Christoph or Edison, imo. Most of the money went into the nib and feed with this pen, but for just shy of $130 shipped, I feel I got a good amount of pen for my money. The gold trim on the clip and cap band are lovely. The clip is a slightly concave, modern design, which I really like.

$P1090672.jpg

A Pilot CON-50 converter was included with the pen, which I’m fine with. The small-ish ink capacity doesn’t bother me, as I don’t view filling a fountain pen as a chore. The Falcon won’t accommodate the larger CON-70 converter, but the metal Falcon (aka Elabo) will. The latter is substantially more expensive, however.

$P1090673.jpg

The nib is pretty unusual. It’s sort of beak shaped and reminds me of a Concorde airplane for some reason. I like it, but it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of others found it unattractive. Functionally, it’s great. The SF nib has a sweet spot, and I only get railroading if I have the pen rotated a little too much or, as expected, try to push the pen’s ability to flex near its maximum. Otherwise, the feed generally keeps up with the nib’s demand, even with Pelikan 4001 Blue-black, which I think is a little on the dry side. I can’t say the same of the FA nib/feed I had.

$P1090675.jpg

The SF is a fun nib to play with, and it’s apparently popular with artists. If you use the nib upside down, it writes a firm, dry, very fine line. Because the nib angles down along the nib’s slit, you can lay down broad swathes of ink by rubbing the nib across the page along the slit.

All that said, it’s a perfectly capable everyday writer. It’s not too wild and unruly to use at work. It does require a little getting used to, but I’ll be keeping this pen for sure. It’s one of the most unique, fun nibs I own. I could totally see having a nibmeister add flex to this one or maybe even buying a second one for the purpose and having it ground down to an extra fine, as well. It will be a while before my handwriting is able to do this nib justice, and it will keep me more than happy for a long time in its current state.

-Andy

Last edited:
I also keep thinking that one of these with a soft broad nib that's ground to a stub or cursive italic with added flex would be really interesting. There are a lot of options.

-Andy

Thanks for the review, Andy! That pen is gorgeous!

Sure thing, Dave. I need to review more pens/nibs.

I seen that in my google searches as well, I think it was a waterman IIRC

Yep. A Waterman pen with a Parker feed. I can totally see why that flat-top Pilot feed doesn't always supply enough ink to the rounded FA nib. If there's a gap between the top of the feed and underside of the nib, ink just can't flow enough. The FA looks pretty bizarre in that Waterman, but she demonstrates how similar the FA is to vintage flex, which is pretty neat.

-Andy

I think the big problem with the flat feed, is that the tines flex away from it and break capillary, you can see it between the tines when flexed as the ink separates and retracts, tis why fast writing will work better with the FA then slow writing, as well as absorbent paper having far less issues then glossy paper like CF as it pulls the ink better. The round feed I think stays in better contact with the nib through a flex keeping the ink flow in check

I think the big problem with the flat feed, is that the tines flex away from it and break capillary, you can see it between the tines when flexed as the ink separates and retracts, tis why fast writing will work better with the FA then slow writing, as well as absorbent paper having far less issues then glossy paper like CF as it pulls the ink better. The round feed I think stays in better contact with the nib through a flex keeping the ink flow in check

That makes perfect sense!

-Andy

Thanks for the review, Andy! I agree with everything you wrote. This reminds me that I need to use up the ink in the two pens I have out currently, so I'll have a good reason to load up the Falcon again. Since I've been writing a lot with up-turned Shaeffer nibs for the past month, I imagine "the beak" will take a little adjustment.

And thank you, James for the physical science lesson. I know, I'm shocked to see that in writing myownself. :)

Thanks for the review Andy! :thumbsup:

Have been looking at that pen a lot lately, might just have to make one my next purchase.

Hi Andy.
I recently received a Falcon with a soft broad nib. I am having difficulties with it skipping and not starting. I have to rinse the nib to
get ink into the feed. Is there a trick to using the nib? I too am left handed, but I notice you aren't having any problems with the pen.
I thought it might be the original ink I put in it (J. Herbin Cafe Des Iles) so I flushed the pen and tried my standby Parker Quink, but the problem persists. Any ideas?
Thanks
Terry

I'm not left handed, Terry, but my Falcon starts right up with no skipping or anything. That's even with Pelikan 4001 Blue-black, which I think is a pretty dry ink (I could be wrong). I would try a different ink or two, then exchange it if that doesn't seem to solve your problem.

-Andy

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the response.
I spent a few days with the pen, trying different approaches, and finally found a sweet spot. The falcon
and I have become friends, and I am using the Cafe des Iles ink which I love.
The problem was neither the pen, nor the ink but my lack of technique.
I am learning.
Terry

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the response.
I spent a few days with the pen, trying different approaches, and finally found a sweet spot. The falcon
and I have become friends, and I am using the Cafe des Iles ink which I love.
The problem was neither the pen, nor the ink but my lack of technique.
I am learning.
Terry

Great to hear it wasn't the pen. My Falcon nib definitely has a sweet spot. Are you an underwriter? I would imagine this pen would be difficult to use if you aren't.

-Andy

Mine just showed up. What a pleasure to write with. Your review was instrumental in helping me decide to get this pen. Thank you.

Mine just showed up. What a pleasure to write with. Your review was instrumental in helping me decide to get this pen. Thank you.

Sure thing, Larry. I often worry that my comments about pens might lead someone to buy something they're not happy with, especially when it comes to pricier models. I'm really glad to hear you like the pen!

-Andy

My only additional thought to what you describe so well is the weight of the pen. It is very light, in my opinion. Though some may prefer this, I like a little heft (e.g., the VP). I'm also curious why they call this a "soft" nib. It seems down right flexy to me, especially if it loosens up a bit with use, as you describe.

Sure thing, Larry. I often worry that my comments about pens might lead someone to buy something they're not happy with, especially when it comes to pricier models. I'm really glad to hear you like the pen!

-Andy

Top Bottom