What's new

DMT "slurry" stones

I got the set of 3; 325, 600, and 1200....I usually find myself using the 600 or the 1200; both work well ....Believe it or not I actually ran into problems with the 325 card shedding diamonds into the slurry, so I stopped using it...

You just want to make sure you break them in just like a regular DMT (at least that's what I did)....I used a screwdriver...

I used to use a 600 DMT, but I hated the way it stuck to the stones. I upgraded to one of the small Atoma pieces that CKTG sells, also a 600, and I really like it. 1000 would be fine too. I have only had a couple stones with which I liked using a synthetic slurry stone. I really don't recommend it for most stones.

Now I mostly use my Atoma for cleaning off my Chosera or other synthetics after I use them. If you have the extra money to spend on it, though, I recommend the Atoma plates. People used to to tell me how much better they are, and they are very right.

I use the 600 to try out new stones, I still prefer a good matching tomo to the stone, but the DMT card will work.

I think the dmt 600 is the best for raising slurry. You don't have to put the entire card on the stone, hang half off the edge and it won't stick as much.

....Believe it or not I actually ran into problems with the 325 card shedding diamonds into the slurry, so I stopped using it...

From personal experience - the 600x and 1200x can do the same.

I stopped using them because of that exact reason.

I totally see how a diamond particle could come loose. It's never happened to me but that's not to say it won't happen. I would assume that the atoma plates have the same issue?
Is there anything else one could use to raise slurry from the base stone with no risk of a: damaging the stone and b: releasing unwanted particles into the slurry?

I also have an Atoma 1200 'nagura' from CKTG.
No issues yet. I can tell from that little 2x2 piece that they are a way better option for this.

I have a lot of Tomos hanging around - so I hardly ever use it.

Last edited:
I have used the Atoma products for 4 or 5 years now and have worn out about 8 of them and I have never experienced a diamond just fall off the plate while making a slurry, never. I cannot speak for the DMT products because I do not use them, and it is not right to suggest that the DMT will have the same history as the Atoma just because they are both diamond plate type tools. They are made differently.

Alx

Top Bottom