What's new

Acquisitions for September 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
After spending the last week glued to this forum (and learning what I can about my new hobby/addiction) I can say Ive been bitten by the bug. So when eyeballing the cases in a flea market today I had to ask about a piece that caught my eye - my newest purchase - a 1927 silver-plated British Rolls Razor. I had no idea what a "valet razor" was and am still doing homework on it....but the piece looked like it was in great shape and was fully operational. A quick scan of ebay on the phone gave me a rough idea on pricing. It was tagged at $65 and I got it from the seller for $50. Not sure what actual value is.....I might have overpaid, but no matter.....I like it and it was worth it to me. Anybody have any thoughts on it?

One of the coolest things about it is that 1927 was my dad's birth year....wow, what an old razor to still be operational and in such good shape.
Not sure if I'll try any clean up on it or if I'll just keep it like it is.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 445
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 446
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 441
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 442
I have been looking for a case for razors or a while now. The wife and I stopped by a garage sale today. Along with a travel tech, a '50's flare tip and a Krona, I also scored this case.

$Timex case vertical.jpg

The case was in the attic of a garage. It was plugged in, but didn't seem to work. I asked the gentleman if it was for sale. He said, "not really, but I suppose I would take 15 bucks for it." I bought it figuring even if it didn't work it would still hold some razors. I got it home and plugged it into an outlet and VOILA! The light came on and it started rotating. It was filthy so it unplugged it and started taking it apart to see just how dirty it could be. I found four mud dauber nests inside the top of case. Luckily that was really the worst of it. After an hour or so of disassembly, cleaning and reassembly it is now taking a test spin in the garage. I am pumped. This will hold six layers of eight razors. That should cover a significant portion of my collection.

Last edited:
^^^^Very cool Ollie. Now about that Timex sign...:biggrin1:

I know... I know...

I have been trying to figure out a way to modify it in some manner without completely decimating the case. Other than the velveteen coating wearing in some places, the case is in really good shape. I might see if I can fine some kind of barber pole motif plastic that I can mount over the Timex emblems.

The postman was good to me today, Russian off the bay.

A bit on the light side, but will see what it's like once I get it home and cleaned.

Picked up one of those crappy razors on the bay after reading a bit about how well they could shave. Gonna try to polish a turd and turn it into something worth keeping.
$untitled.jpg

Woohoo! Got a great selection of blades for a good price.

Ebay win. Was listed at .99 with a week to go and no bids. PM'd the seller and asked if he would consider a $20 BIN (+$5 shipping). He agreed.

"3 Merkur Platinum Coated, 8 Rapira Super Stainless, 10 Croma Diamont, 5 Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus, 18 Shark Super Stainless, 41 Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge, 5 Wilkinson Sword, 10 Lord Super Chrome, 7 Kai Stainless, 5 Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum, 21 Bolzano Superinox, 60 Gillette Silver Blue. 193 in total."

Many nice quality blades that I have not tried (Bolzano, Kai, GSB, for example), and at a cost of $12.50 / 100!

$razor blades from ebay.jpg

While driving around in Tuscany today grabbed a tub if Figaro croap at the local COOP for €1.10; if this stuff's anywhere as good as Marco has made it out to be i might consider the purchase the best part of our vacation! Ok, maybe not...

I stopped at a yard sale (barn sale to be exact) today that a few years back I had seen a bunch of Vintage Avon AS and other Avon stuff. This is a big barn full of stuff, tables and tables.

I didnt really see much left, a few old crummy Avon AS bottles that were empty, not like before.

Then, I stumbled upon this:

$os bottle.jpg$os bottle2.jpg

And the price? $1!!!!!!!

I would have paid more, but hey, $1 and I grabbed it. Its empty, and it needs to be washed (a little dirty) but otherwise, real nice shape. Will match my Old Spice shave mug I just got (an older one) quite nicely.

Best shaving find yet! Would be better if it was full, but then again, I don't care much for the original OS scent, I do like the P&G OS smell...

Just display. I will likely fill it with ViJon "Spice" (Very similar to Shulton Old Spice). I might use it here and again, but I am one of the few that prefer the P&G Old Spice...

It needs a full cleaning first. But, an old glass OS bottle was on my list of "must find" so I got it :)

Anyone have a clue about what timeframe this is from? I'm guessing 50's or 60's...

I made a Run to my Local antique Mall after my Haircut today and went back to Dealer I found my 1949 Executive in Box from. And saw a nice looking Flare-tip SuperSpeed from 1963 date code "I3". Price tag said $7.50! Sold. Lol and I also found a nice Old spice mug for $15. I don know much about it. Prolly over paid for it, but i though it was neat. But from what it looks like its a Coffee Mug. Too deep for a Brush? I remember my Dad using old spice and getting me some as a young teen for Xmas.

Well today I Opened my Box Sent to me and It contains my Full Size AOS Lemon Shave set. Comes with a nice badger brush too. A lot better than the one from my VDH kit, lol. I like the scent. Nice a clean not as strong as I Hoped for though. But still nice.

Next up is a bottle of Pinaud Clubman aftershave. My Barber was spraying some in the air with the Air hose and I had to know what it was. So I bought a bottle of it at a nice Shop which sells the whole Clubman Line of Aftershaves. Special Bayrum, Vanilla, a like one, Musk(spelled good too) and a few others.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 426
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 429
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 429
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 430
Flare tip looks to be in great shape!

It Is! in great shape. Same owner as my Executive. Doubt they were used much. mind the mess and water on razor. Just shaved with her.

Have been using my Slim with derby extra lrecently . I threw a Gillette 7o clock blade in the SS and gave it a go. After 3 passes on the neck I had a good amount of irritation. I just showered, used AOS pre-shave oil, lathered the AOS cream up, no Pressure on razor. And used AOS with a dash of Clubman for the irritation.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 418
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 412
I recently won a bid from the Bay for a Razobrite Razor bath. I didn't really pay attention to the photos closely to notice anything but the bath container itself. I came home from work today to find my new/old Razobrite in a package. And low and behold it wasn't alone!

Apparently the razor that the seller picture with the Razobrite was not just a prop, it came with. And, it is a user grade Fat Boy from 1959 (E3)! Wow, I am completely blown away that I was able to score both for $25.00 off of the "Bay". I need to go buy a lottery ticket.

Score!

Frank

Congratulations!! Give the Fatboy a couple good soaks in hot water and Dawn dish soap, then hit it with some Flitz and that baby should shine up nicely.

Thanks to Gary H, I received my Bigelow folding travel Razor today in mail! I must say that this thing is Beautiful! It's so clean and shiny, and tight folding action. Looks way to good to use, but I have to shave with it. Will try in a few days after my irritation goes down from today's shave.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 442
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 443
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 444
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg