What's new

The Pawn Stars Rick Harrison advertises One Razor by Micro Touch on TV

Saw them at Walmart In Canada today. At 25$ for the razor, a simple stand and 12 Dorco blades, I thought why not. It could potentially be a nice Christmas present for a friend as a first DE razor. I wanted to try it for myself first just in case it's total crap like most of the "as seen TV" stuff. Don't want to give a crappy DE razor as a present to anyone. For the price, I don't mind buying more of them.

I own two DE razors. An r41 (agressive) and an easy to use 33c (mild). I do not own the Superspeed that it is copied from, so I can't say if it works as well as the original.

To tell you the truth, I was expecting to try it and return it because I thought that it would be crap. But it surprisingly, it's not bad.

Ok, it's not an r41, that's for sure. I can do a one pass shave with that one.
It's even milder than my 33c. That's a "two pass" razor as far as my face is concerned and some touch ups.

The MTO, 3 passes and touch ups. It's very, very mild. It's easy to use (I could probably use it with my eyes closed) and the quality is alright. Seems to be chrome plated brass. I can't really find anything wrong with it. Not that i haven't tried. I saw no manufacturing flaws and no bits are made out of plastic or aluminium as far as I can tell.

For 25$, I'll say that in my opinion, it's really not bad. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't necessarily want to take the time to do a 3 pass shave every weekday, I could use it as my every day razor. No problem at all. Weishi probably makes cheaper versions, but this one isn't one them. It's not bad at all.

I could use it as my every day razor. No problem at all. Weishi probably makes cheaper versions, but this one isn't one them. It's not bad at all.

It certainly isn't a universal consensus, but this is a pretty regular opinion of the MTO. I have a Weishi branded 9306 as well as an MTO, and I've been a Weishi defender here for a long time. And I also have a few Superspeeds, too. I will give you that the fit and finish on an old Gillette is/was better, and if you end up buying an expensive Weishi somewhere it's no bargain compared to vintage. But they're readily available on sale, as this thread attests.

I have used a Weishi as my standard travel razor for quite some time now, and it has never failed me. Perfectly adequate, even if not stellar, performance and inexpensive enough that I don't worry about loosing it. I Would be upset to loose my Mergress to TSA or lost luggage.

I think it was a one time stock up where they were around here. A few stores had them, and I bought the last one at Bed Bath & Beyond, and no one has seemed to ever restock them. Makes you wonder why though, I mean if they sold out in a month or so, but others razors sit there months on end. Common sense would tell me to restock and maybe try selling a couple brands of blades, see what happens...

I picked up one of these a couple of weeks to go just to see what they were like. Mild Mild Mild! Not bad for a new shaver but then remembered an old trick that my dad taught me that he used to use with his '59 flare tip. a 1/10 to 1/8 turn to loosen the silo doors (Basically just enough to barely loosen the tension) that made a mild shaver about as aggressive as I would want. The doors were still tight enough that the blade wouldn't shift, and still stayed at an even reveal on both sides. However it actually produced a way to adjust the gap between the blade and bar. I also could see a slight change in the angle of the blade as the pressure slightly released. Try at your own risk but worked great for me this morning! Very smooth run! Just my two cents :)

Last edited:
This works on 3 piece razors as well, and used to be part of the instruction manuals for the old gillettes --- until they released adjustable razors 😉

The manual for the NEW even commented that the adjustment was more sensitive and users should adjust the tension in 1/8 turn increments rather than in the 1/4 turn increments used for the old type.

Just be careful not to go too far. A loose blade won't shave well. All you want to adjust is the curvature of the blade. There needs to still be enough tension to hold the blade steady when you swish the lather away in a sink full of water. Too little tension could allow a rotated blade and diagonal corners sticking out...

Last edited:
Yeah.. I triple checked the tension on the blade and it was rock steady.. no way it would shift on me. That and I went slow! :w00t:
I was surprised in the way it hopped up the agressiveness though. I'm just throwing out a trick I remembered my dad showing me when I would watch him shave. Worked though! I imagine this may be similar to shimming a 3 piece?
Still new to all this.. I'm only going on my second month and only going on what I remembered as a kid.
I don't mind the razor but of my 3 so far.. my favorite is the Merkur 1904. I do use the MTO in my rotation though.

Last edited:
Our Garland Walmart sells the Van der Hagen razor (a.k.a. Micro Touch / Weishi). Mine is giving me excellent service using premium blades. Unfortunately, the Van der Hagen blades did not give me comparable results, however, YMMV.

We had the one touch ONE on sale @ work last month. It didn't look as fine a quality as some I've seen online. I decided to skip it and go with the Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl, which is a very beautiful piece.

I will say the Rick Harrison "One Touch" ad was a significant reason I recently decided to try DE shaving again. Along with the increasing price and scarcity of Sensor cartridges and my refusal to use one of those Fusion 5 blade abominations.

I haven't bought a One Touch though, at least not yet. Instead I bought a similar Mehaz, then a Merkur 33C, then some vintage Gillette Techs, then a Weber stainless steel razor and handle, then... Well you the picture.

Oddly enough it was this ad that opened my eyes to DE shaving. I remember my Dad using one when I was a kid. I didn't know anyone used them anymore. I saw the ad on TV and started checking them out online. I found out that a buddy had used one for years and he furthered my interest. Just received my first DE yesterday. I didn't try the One Touch, but if I find one on sale cheap enough, I may.

I got my Micro touch at walgreens. Built well enough very mild. Picked it up when after 2 weekends of hitting fleamarkets looking for a decent vintage came up as a wash.

I've seen the adverts on television and also read through this thread. I don't really need any more DE razors but I thought this could be interesting for a travel razor (I have a WWI Service Set case with a silver-plated Gillette Old inside, a British New, a Parker TTO, some E-bay homemade model with a Gillette Old head and brass rod body, and, I think, a Fat Tech rounds it all out). I was in Bartell's, a local pharmacy chain, and went in for batteries but saw these for $19.99. I thought I'd grab it and try it out and, well, it's not bad. A bit too mild for my tastes (even more mild than a Tech, I think) but not bad.

The supplied Dorco blades were okay and I got in between a DFS and BBS with 3 passes. I wonder if it's just the blades and will try one of my Indian Wilkinsons or English Wilkinsons tomorrow to see if that makes things better. I used Cella with an old Kent boar brush today.

I think I'll keep it around though.

I got this razor as a travel option because of the butterfly head and because i am new and heard it was very forgiving. Honestly? Great razor BUT its actually SO forgiving i feel as though i may get sloppy with my technique :/ any one else have this problem/fear with a mild razor? Its almost as if im being spoiled by it! :001_huh:

Also my derby blades (which i am using to start out) worked perfect in my DE 89 from Edwin Jagger but were too mild in this razor... However for my "female hair" as you might say the Rapira stainless are working well but still pretty much no... Umm what would we call it... Feedback? Lol sorry again im new ^^'

Hi LuvinYou17,

Welcome aboard. :) Glad to see you also tried this razor out and welcome to B&B, too. I always have to remember which razor/blade combination I'm using as they do all work differently for me and I'd like to not get sloppy especially if I'm going from DE to straight razor! :p

How many blades have you tried and have you considered one of the blade sampler packs from our vendors?

Michael

Hi LuvinYou17,

Welcome aboard. :) Glad to see you also tried this razor out and welcome to B&B, too. I always have to remember which razor/blade combination I'm using as they do all work differently for me and I'd like to not get sloppy especially if I'm going from DE to straight razor! :p

How many blades have you tried and have you considered one of the blade sampler packs from our vendors?

Michael

So far i have only tried derby and rapira (in the pink, blue and black package) i have only been wet shaving for alil while (probably not even a month) but i LOVE derbys for my Edwin Jagger DE 89. I have crystals, and personna stainless (comfort coated) as well but havent tried them yet.
also thank you for the welcoming note and any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

I found one in the Walgreens by my house as well. Way to mild for me, at least with Astra blades. I couldn't get a good shave from it. I wound up giving it to my sister thinking she might use it sooner or later. She spent the night opening and closing the doors on it. :blink:

Just wanted to add that had i known that this razor was basically a Weishi i just would have bought that on amazon. I do not own a weishi personally but everyone says that is what this razor boils down to. Even the blades are Dorco (the wrappers say "Dorco" after you remove the carboard "Micro One Touch" piece on top) mine also came with no case but a stand instead. Yes i do like the stand but is this product worth 20 + dollars? Probably not if you can get the same quality at a better price...

Last edited:
Top Bottom