What's new

My old Gillette. Year and model?

So when I was 13 my grandpa gave me a Gillette DE razor, never used, still in its packaging and my dad taught me to shave with it. Me being young and stupid I tossed out the package, instructions, and whatever else might have come with it. I've used it for the last 10 years and now I'm interested to know what it is and when it was made. All I know is its a Gillette, made in England and it shaves like a dream. Other than that there's no serial number or date code.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 171
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 170
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Your razor is called a Tech. Looks like it may be from the 60s.....

mr-razor has as part of his site a page on just the Gillette Tech.

I looked on the site but couldn't find my razor. There's two on there, a '63 and '67. The heads not the same on the '63 and I can't see the head on the '67.

Last edited:
After looking online it looks like it matches a 1967 Gillette sportsman tech made in England. The handle feels heavier than aluminium though. Anybody else have an opinion?

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks just like one of my '60s (possibly late '50s) British techs with the aluminum handle, nice shavers!

Looks just like one of my '60s (possibly late '50s) British techs with the aluminum handle, nice shavers!

It does shave really well. But then again I'm just used to using it for so long. Holding the handle alone though it feels much heavier than aluminium for mine though. Still confused about that.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Holding the handle alone though it feels much heavier than aluminium for mine though. Still confused about that.

There were nickel plated brass ones too in that shape. I'd weigh my handle but don't have a good scale.

There were nickel plated brass ones too in that shape. I'd weigh my handle but don't have a good scale.

Thats good to know. Everything I could find kept saying they were aluminium handles with a brass plate. This handle is definitely heavy like brass.

I have the very same razor and I'm curious about production year too. Mine has brass handle, like yours.
Did you find something?

Top Bottom