What's new

Ever Ready C40 Restore

Here is the start to my C40 restore - my very first ever restore.

I forgot to get some pre-knot removal pictures, but here are the post-removal pictures.

This is one of the handles that had plaster holding the bristles, so no shelf. I will have to check the other C40 threads on how they built a shelf. Also, the hole is 20mm wide, and I am thinking I will widen it and get a bit bigger. May 22mm or 24mm, if I can swing it.

I am thinking about using one of the TGN Silvertip XH bulbs, but I am open to any suggestions as well.

As I said, this will be my very first restore, so I am willing and open to all advice.

$captured_by_snapseed_6_1.jpg

$captured_by_snapseed_7_1.jpg

$captured_by_snapseed_8_1.jpg

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress.
I fit a 24mm silvertip in my C40.
if I did it over I would have widened the hole a bit further or used a 22mm knot to give it a bit more room to bloom.

Looks like you have room to open it up enough for a 22. I would think a 24 would be a riskier proposition. Either way, it should turn out nice.

Good luck with your restore!

Yeah, I was hoping to do a 24mm, but I am thinking that may be too much. I think I am going to go with the 22mm. Now to figure out how I want to build up a shelf, and add some heft, to the handle so it will fit. Also, to figure out what loft I want it set at.

Also, I thought TGN had finest XH knots as well, but all I can find is Silvertip. Is that what most people are getting now, if they want the XH version?

Here are some pictures of her sanded and shined up.

I used Wet/Dry paper, progressing from: 220>500>1000>1200. I then hit it with Maguires PlastX. I put on a number of coats of Maguires, and she is shinging pretty good. I used just paper towel to apply the PlastX, so I am wondering if it wouldn't get even shinier if I used a cloth rag. May try that. I love that the lines from the molding process is now gone.

I was going to refill the letter on the bottom, but the sanding has made a couple to shallow and therefore, I think i am just going to leave it like it is.

Also, looking at TGN, it looks like they got new Finest Badger brushes and have now renamed their stock. Looks like they no longer call it Finest XH, but just "Finest" and when you open it up, if it is one of the old XH ones it just says more hair in the description.

What do you guys think: A Silvertip XH brush or a Finest 2 Band (XH) brush?

$captured_by_snapseed_9_1.jpg

$captured_by_snapseed_10_1.jpg

I prefer my 18mm finest to my 24mm silvertip

Finest XH. And nice work on the handle!

Thanks for the advice. 22mm Finest (with extra hair) ordered.

... And nice work on the handle!

Thank you. I am pretty excited, and happy how it has turned out so far. I need to figure out how to do the shelf, and then the scary part of using a forstner bit on the hole to widen it. Hopefully, by next weekend, I will have my first restore completed. FUN STUFF!!!

Well tonight I finished up my restore. Here is the final outcome:

Here are some of the tools that I used. Those not pictured was a forstner bit, more sandpaper and a little bit of elbow grease :laugh:

$IMG_20130815_170428_1.jpg

After drilling out the hole to 22mm, with the forstner bit, I went to work with the sandpaper and widened the hole to around 24mm. I just did it by hand, as I wasn't sure where the Dremel was, and if I even had a sanding drum for it. After finishing it up and polishing it again, I put some painters tape around it and started to figure out how to do the shelf. I used 4 pennies, 1 nickel and part of a wine cork to get the shelf built.
$IMG_20130815_175820_1.jpg

I mixed up some Gorilla Glue 5 minute epoxy, put some in the bottom of the brush, then added the coins. Added some more epoxy, then the cork, and then some more epoxy until it was a little over the cork shelf. I then put the knot into the handle.
$IMG_20130815_181540_1.jpg

Here is the finished product: a 22mm Finest XH TGN knot. I set the loft at 49mm. I am hoping to have some backbone yet be an all around brush - face or bowl lathering. I will probably let this cure for the next 24 - 48 hours before doing a test lather.

$IMG_20130815_200042_1.jpg

A shot from the top showing how full the knot is.

$IMG_20130815_200114_1.jpg

Thanks to everyone for helping a newbie out with his first restore. I have a number of vintage brushes I can play with, and I am really having fun and have caught the restore bug. Watch out for my next restore thread!!!! :thumbup:

Top Bottom