What's new

Looks like Indian is back in Business

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-...ND-enus-camp-price-announcement-engine-reveal

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-...s?WT.ac=IND-enus-camp-engine-reveal-eng-story

proxy.php

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jim:
Those are some nice looking bikes...I wish I had the funds available to get one. Well, I'll put it on my 'bucket list'. :thumbsup:

Q. Do you think Indian can compete with Harley?
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul." Author Unknown

This is a pretty decent movie, based on a true story about a New Zealander who set a land speed record on a self-modified Indian motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yes they are! And guess who will get one of the first off the line!

Not me :drool:

They have been back for a while, but not remotely affordable or reliable until Polaris bought them. NOW I would buy one, could I only afford it.

Yes indeed. A beautiful, classic, custom built American heavy cruiser. And priced completely for the rich and famous. I think the last time I looked at their website their bikes ranges from $35,000-45,000. That could be too high but I think it is pretty close. Unless you are riding it a LOT it is an expensive status symbol.

On a side note my grandad rode an Indian from Wyoming to Quincy Illinois in 1927. He and my grandmother had met via personal ads in publications. Her sister had put the letter in one of the magazines as a joke. Something to the effect of a decent young Christian woman(she was that and more) from Ohio wanting to converse with honest, hard working young man with a good reputation and strong morals. Well my grandad was all that and more himself. At least that is what he told her when he answered the letter. He was a working bronc buster, wrestler, amateur boxer, and all around tough guy(no bull on this grandad story, he was the real deal) who was crowding thirty and wanted to settle down. Now mind, in 1927 the roads from Wyoming to the east were little more than donkey trails. After a couple of years of letter writing they decided to meet. They settled on Quincy, Illinois since grandmother could get there by train(proper ladies did not drive cars you know) and gramps saddled up the Indian and took off for Illinois. He crossed the Mississippi and met her there. They married the same day and remained so for over forty years til his death.

I have no idea what the vintage of the Indian was. He sold it shortly thereafter since he was now a properly settled down married man. To them it was just cheap transportation at the time and they needed a car. He traveled for work a few times in their lives together but never for very long. They never wavered on each other and I always think of their story whenever Indian motorcycles come up. After grandmother died in 1974 we found a cache of their old correspondence from the 1920's. I think I will ask my aunt for them some day to read their thoughts from so long ago.

Cheers, Todd

(Sorry for a thread jack but I was overtaken by reminiscence)

Legion

Staff member
This is a pretty decent movie, based on a true story about a New Zealander who set a land speed record on a self-modified Indian motorcycle.

I really like that film. Feel good movie.

I noticed the Indian signs at a local bike shop I go past in the mornings. I might need a second job...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes indeed. A beautiful, classic, custom built American heavy cruiser. And priced completely for the rich and famous. I think the last time I looked at their website their bikes ranges from $35,000-45,000. That could be too high but I think it is pretty close. Unless you are riding it a LOT it is an expensive status symbol.

That was absolutely true until the recent acquisition by Polaris (also the producer Victory Motorcycles). I looked at them when they first came back & immediately wrote myself off as a potential owner, ever. I was shocked to see that the new 2014 Chief starts at just $18,999. Not cheap, but squarely in the ballpark of comparable motorcycles from Harley-Davidson, Victory, etc.

Having owned 2 modern-era (Hinckley) Triumphs, I have a thing for vintage brands. I could definitely see an Indian in my garage someday.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Jim:
Those are some nice looking bikes...I wish I had the funds available to get one. Well, I'll put it on my 'bucket list'. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul." Author Unknown
Seeing that they keep going out of business and have someone else making their engines, I would say no.

Jim:

proxy.php

The picture in the OP is of the OLD Indian, with the old bottlecap engine.
The new engine is, IMO, much more impressive looking.

The new bike itself will be revealed this week. I'm hoping it's classic, but with something new to distinguish it from HD.

Yes, IMO, they will compete with HD, because, as mentioned, they are starting at under 20K, they have the mighty mighty Polaris behind them, and frankly, as an HD rider, I can tell you that many, many of us are just plain tired of HD's BS and were disappointed that nothing from Victory (another polaris company) didn't have anything that really does it for us.

Here's hoping that Indian does.

Seeing that they keep going out of business and have someone else making their engines, I would say no.

I'd take that bet. Polaris has deep pockets and knows a bit about running a motorcycle company after building Victory up from nothing. Who is making the new Indian engines?

website doesn't say, but the last time it was S&S

I'd be surprised if Polaris is outsourcing the engines, considering that they make their own for the Victory brand, but I can't find any info on it. Actually, the fact that I can't find anything, kinda' leads me to believe that they are making it themselves as there would be more buzz about them outsourcing it than not. Either way, I am only guessing. I forgot that S&S was making the PowerPlus engine for the last generation of bikes. The new Chief is supposed to be a clean sheet design, including the engine, and manufacturing has been moved to a Polaris facility as well, so I really think that Indian may be back for good.

It is going to take them a while to establish a dealer network and credibility, but 10-15 years down the road I could see them as a serious threat to take a chunk of H-D's market share. H-D will always be the "it" brand for many, but a lot of people steer clear of them for that very same reason, IMO. I like quite a few of their bikes, but get a little queasy with the "lifestyle" and overwhelming marketing of slapping their logo on any product that comes along. That's just me though.

I do wonder what will become of Victory when Polaris gets Indian fully established again.

Top Bottom