What's new

Item of the Week 7/22 - Gillette 7 O'clock Blades

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hello to all.

This will be the twenty-second in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The twenty-second featured item of the week will be Gillette 7 O'clock Blades

I've really taken a liking to the yellow 7 O'Clocks. They are a lot more durable than feathers, but with a similar face feel.

oops, thought i still had one in the drawer, but it was just an empty wrapper!
(now, why would i have done that?)
sorry guys, and later in the week, i'll be off for two weeks.
but i'll enjoy watching when i can!
$2013-07-21T11-16-33_0.jpg

I'm in. I've got almost 100 blacks and a pack of yellows sitting around. The blacks last me a while, so if I use one it may last the whole week. Great blade!

Perfect! I have a pack of blacks that I brought back from my trip to NY (bought at Pasteur's) that I was going to try in my new Merkur 1904.

I'm in!

Been cheating a little and have been using the 7OC green (super stainless) the past week or so...today was:

7 o'clock green super stainless (3)
1958 Red Tip SS
MW Wild Lavender
Simpson Colonel X2L, best
Dickinson's WH
Burt's Bees ASB

The green SS came in a sampler pack and after going through ~8 other blades, I'm putting this one very close to the bottom. Sharp enough, but extremely unforgiving on me. Between two blades (and two different razors), I wasn't able to get a single irritation-free shave and more than half resulted in nicks/weepers on my chin and lower neck. Rough intro to the 7OC series...into the razor bank with you!

Will be trying a black (super platinum) and a yellow (permasharp) 7OC this week, I am optimistic these will be better experiences than what I've had so far with the green SS.

Putting my last green in the razor right now. They've been a decent blade for me, but I normally find myself alternating between Astra SPs and Gillette Silver Blues.

I have some blacks, yellows, and one green left. Count me in.
So far the yellows have been the best but only in the Progress. Still searching for a blade that works in the Weber.

In. Normally I use a Personna Red in my Fatip for my face and arm pits , but this is a good chance to use some other blades that I have in my drawers. For my neck I use a Feather AC RG (WTG) and a Bump Fighter (ATG). The flat growing hair on my neck is really driving me to try out strange combinations...

Already did a weeks worth of shaving with the Blacks. I read they are very sharp and smooth, but for me the sharpness was lacking. There was always some tugging on my checks. However, even so there was tugging, the shave still ended up smooth.

This week I am going to use the Green ones.

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and I already shaved today :(
I'll load up a 7 O'Clock for tomorrow's shave.

Had a really nice shave with a 7 O'Clock Blue this morning. I had forgotten how nice these blades are. I had opted to use Astra SP's and Lab Blues as my regular blades because they were less expensive, but I still have a few 7 O'Clocks from a sampler. They are nice and sharp, and caused little irritation. I got a very close shave with my '65 Slim set at 7 and some Mike's Natural Unscented soap.

Top Bottom