What's new

Gillette Old Type - vacation find?

It's an Old type, ball end handle. Without the case, there's not any way of determining from which set it came.

I find the Old types to be very/too aggressive. I much prefer the New Improved or NEW razors.

The Khakis were issued to the military by Gillette and were also sold to civilians, but the genuine army sets had markings to distinguish it.

[ from wiki: Description: All J marked razors were sold to the military but all razors made during WWI were not only marked that way. F, G, H and K were made in WWI but most were probably sold to the public in Khaki sets or other Military sets.] http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/War_production_sets

If you can take pics of the razor and its markings you can tell if its from an actual army set or civilian set. Here's an actual army razor

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
It's an Old type, ball end handle. Without the case, there's not any way of determining from which set it came.

I find the Old types to be very/too aggressive. I much prefer the New Improved or NEW razors.

Thanks.

Funny about the YMMV thing. I liked the look of the NEW's but found them to on the mild side.

I did a first shave with the old type this morning with a Personna red IP and it was slightly more aggressive than Cadet OC's. I liked it very much.

The Khakis were issued to the military by Gillette and were also sold to civilians, but the genuine army sets had markings to distinguish it.

[ from wiki: Description: All J marked razors were sold to the military but all razors made during WWI were not only marked that way. F, G, H and K were made in WWI but most were probably sold to the public in Khaki sets or other Military sets.] http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/War_production_sets

If you can take pics of the razor and its markings you can tell if its from an actual army set or civilian set. Here's an actual army razor

proxy.php

proxy.php

Will do on the photos. Thanks for such good background.

Top Bottom