What's new

Post war Gillette Tech or EJ Kelvin (or other)?

Hello, new to the group and only have been using a safety razor for a year (it's a 3.5" made in China model that I picked up from a local hairdresser, but it's been very reliable). Now I'm thinking of upgrading, but for now don't want to spend a fortune, so looking in the sub £30 / $35 bracket. Was considering the EJ Kelvin, since I've read decent reviews. However, also looking at this, which I think is a second edition (1942-1965) Gillette Tech?

I use Astra blades, and if I understand the terminology correctly, I prefer a less aggressive shave.

If it were a toss up between the Gillette and the EJ which would you go for? Or would you consider something different. Also open to other vintage suggestions, as stuff crops up all the time in eBay and Etsy. The Gillette is currently in my price range, hence the question!

Thanks for any help and advice.
Screenshot_2023-10-04-02-44-33-006_com.ebay.mobile-01.jpeg

Hello, new to the group and only have been using a safety razor for a year (it's a 3.5" made in China model that I picked up from a local hairdresser, but it's been very reliable). Now I'm thinking of upgrading, but for now don't want to spend a fortune, so looking in the sub £30 / $35 bracket. Was considering the EJ Kelvin, since I've read decent reviews. However, also looking at this, which I think is a second edition (1942-1965) Gillette Tech?

I use Astra blades, and if I understand the terminology correctly, I prefer a less aggressive shave.

If it were a toss up between the Gillette and the EJ which would you go for? Or would you consider something different. Also open to other vintage suggestions, as stuff crops up all the time in eBay and Etsy. The Gillette is currently in my price range, hence the question!

View attachment 1727588
That's an English Flat Bottom Tech. Probably 1946-8. Image is oddly unclear on this point, but I think it's a thin handle version. They came in 'Fat' and 'Thin handle' sizes.

Just get it!

The Kelvin is an excellent first razor, and was mine. However the Tech is a classic and desirable masterpiece, and has much cachet.

It shaves fantastically too. Mild yet highly efficient. One of the best Techs ever made. Amazingly smooth too.

Here is one from 1946-7. They had a wide variety of cases. The one you show is typical.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I prefer pre-war vs. post-war Techs, but I've never had the pleasure of an English Flat Bottom. Like other have said, just get it. I seriously doubt that you'll be disappointed.

That's an English Flat Bottom Tech. Probably 1946-8. Image is oddly unclear on this point, but I think it's a thin handle version. They came in 'Fat' and 'Thin handle' sizes.

Just get it!

The Kelvin is an excellent first razor, and was mine. However the Tech is a classic and desirable masterpiece, and has much cachet.

It shaves fantastically too. Mild yet highly efficient. One of the best Techs ever made. Amazingly smooth too.

Here is one from 1946-7. They had a wide variety of cases. The one you show is typical.
proxy.php

+3!! Go for the Tech!! It is a classic and a great shaver IMHO!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

You can always get a Kelvin or another of the EJ 89 series.

Absolute no brainer - get the Tech. It's a beautiful shaver and yours looks almost as good as new. The only thing that you might not be too keen on is the thin handle. If that's the case the very vast majority of razor handles will fit.

View attachment 1727588
Hi @sidgravy ! Sorry I should have welcomed you to B&B! This is a great site to relax on!

Just a small update. If that is a thin handled FBT it is significantly rarer than the standard fat handle, which adds to its desirability.

I'm from London. I think you are from the UK too. The good price you are seeing this little beauty for would explain your location. Our US brothers on B&B can pick up Pre War Techs and Slims for pennies, and we can pick up FBT's and early Rockets often cheap. The universe likes balance!

I think I have found your exact model here. Yours appears complete. Nice! Again, I would date it 1946-48.
proxy.php

Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage razors!

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

View attachment 1727588
Hello from St. Clair Shores, MI. Welcome to B & B, sir!

:)

Welcome to B&B!

Grab the Tech. I have yet to find anyone who disliked Techs, and that one is a stellar example.
You can always get the Kelvin later if you develop Razor Acquisition Disorder.

A Tech Pre or Post War is good Razor, it works.

Pair with Grail Blade you got good setup.

Ever blade is different, a blade I love, someone else hates.

No bad blade, just some I like better.

Top Bottom