Sardines

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Discuss!

Brands
Packing medium
Preparations
Origin

I love eating sardines on toast when at a tapas bar but have never done anything with them at home. Just picked up a tin of Cortes brand in olive oil from Spain. I opted to spend the extra dollar over other brands packed in soy oil or spring water from regions like Poland and Canada.

And what is a brisling sardine?

:ladysman:

The neighborhood cat and I share a tin in oil occasionally. I think the brand is Port Side. Only one brand and the only other option would be in mustard and I don't think the cat likes mustard. I never ate them until I worked in the Philippines and then my landlady would put them in with the garlic fried rice for breakfast which is how I prefer them. At least it is something I don't have to worry about sharing with SWMBO and the kids.

I like the Beach Cliff brand Sardines packed in water. I have them at least 2 times a week. Good stuff and good for you too

proxy.php

Don't have the brand resident in ma wee tiny brain, but I get them at Whole Foods and prefer olive oil. As a kid, my mother and I would share a tin of mustard sardines, with soda crackers. Drat, now I want sardines, but I don't want to go to the store.

I've always wanted to try good canned sardines, but can't get the childhood impression that here disgusting out of my head!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Like Andy Griffith said: "Anything tastes great if it sits on a Ritz!" I like whatever brand is available that isn't so low-budget that you need a can opener to get to the goods. I prefer to filet the little rascals. Well, lift one side off and pick off the spine, anyway. I like chili, mustard, tomato sauce, whatever. I am kind of lukewarm on the cheap vegetable oil or soy oil. Olive oil is a one thumb up buy. Spring water? Nah. That's for tuna.

I used to eat the plain sardines on a sandwich with mustard. Now I just buy the ones packed in mustard and kill two birds with one stone. :biggrin1:

TheShaun

Bejeweled
just read this: halved baguette smeared with mayo, cucumber, shredded carrot and cilantro

Heat a can of Sardines in olive oil, minced onion, and minced clove of garlic in a sauté pan until the garlic is aromatic and the sardines are heated through. Wilt some spinach over top. Add the juice of half a lemon and a few shakes of balsamic vinegar, though both are optional. Top with a good portion of fresh chopped parsley and S&P to taste. Eat as-is or serve over pasta. Also good with chopped tomato thrown in place of or in addition to the spinach.

My love of Sardines was developed by my grandfather and my Dad. Standard luncheon fare on any hunting and fishing trip was canned sardines. I eat sardines for lunch at least once a week. Two of the standards at most mega markets are my favorites. King Oscar Brisling Sardines in EVOO followed by Crown Prince Brisling Sardines again in EVOO. Generally I enjoy them on Saltines with fresh sliced avocado and slices of a mild Valida onion on the side. Well... made my self hungry.

They come in tomato sauce most commonly over here, I just eat them on toast for breakfast, no need to warm them through

Lightly smoked or packed in mustard with a dash of hot sauce on saltine is one of my favorite things. Usually bought cheaper brands Van Camp I think and I like the Beach Cliff brand turtle posted a lot. I can't eat them anymore though. The gout came along and ruined my sardine enjoyment. Darn you purines! Used to be one of my favorite snacks or small meal.

My love of Sardines was developed by my grandfather and my Dad. Standard luncheon fare on any hunting and fishing trip was canned sardines. I eat sardines for lunch at least once a week. Two of the standards at most mega markets are my favorites. King Oscar Brisling Sardines in EVOO followed by Crown Prince Brisling Sardines again in EVOO. Generally I enjoy them on Saltines with fresh sliced avocado and slices of a mild Valida onion on the side. Well... made my self hungry.
Yes I have a very fond memory of my grandfather making a gesture with his hand, index finger extended, saying you gotta get King Oscar those are the good ones. For whatever reason I have tried others and none are ever as good to me as those either. That was at least 35 years ago too and I remember like yesterday.

I used to eat the plain sardines on a sandwich with mustard. Now I just buy the ones packed in mustard and kill two birds with one stone. :biggrin1:

Just had a Sardine sandwich last night for supper. Whole wheat bread, a slice of red onion smeared with Horseradish brown mustard

Season's brand boneless skinless is available at BJ's at an incredible price.

$810eJQPWHdL._SL1500_.jpg
$7187ojD2fmL._SL1239_.jpg

Another great combination is sardines sauteed in olive oil along with bread crumbs, 1 diced onion a couple of tablespoons of capers served on pasta.

I do sardines every so often. I usually go for the Brunswick Jalapeno Sardines or whatever I can find in oil or mustard if I can't find those. I just eat them with a bit of hot sauce and some saltines. What I go for more often though are either Brunswick or Polar Kipper Snacks (I know these aren't sardines though). I eat these the same way.

Sardines with olive oil are best, but any will do in a pinch. I normally go with them on saltines with brown horseradish mustard.

If you want something really yummy though, smash them up with some cream cheese, herbs and black pepper and mix it to a spreadable consistency. So good.

Top Bottom