What's new

Kent BLK4, initial reaction

I received my Kent BLK4 yesterday. Beautiful looking brush and I love the packaging. I used it this morning with the puck of D R Harris that I've been using all this week and the results were great.

I was itching to try it with the MWF/Kent soap that I purchased with the brush but decided to stay with the D.R. Harris to see how it compares to my other two brushes; an EJ silvertip and a Shavemac silvertip. It produced superb lather, quickly and easily, and probably more easily than the other brushes.

The only slight negative is the handle (not the visual aspect, from that perspective it's a classic). It's just that the handle feels like very light plastic and somehow not in keeping with the rest of the product experience.

Is this the same with all their brushes?

Cheers

Jeremy

I've got one shave under my belt with my new BK4, and I did really like the brush and didn't have an issue with the handle quality/material, but all I really have to compare it to is the C&E BBB.

It's a little bit stiffer than the BBB. I'm not sure if it's worth triple the price of the BBB, but it's a nice brush. Definitely a nice step up from the BBB.

My BK8 is a hefty weight. Not heavy but heavier than my Shavemac custom. I think that it is a perfect brush all around. I am sure the BK4 is also. YMMV

If there was a drawback to the BK4 it is that the plastic used for the handle is a very light weight. However, that is really really nit picking. I have had mine for two months and I am starting to question why I have my other brushes. Well, I have a Shavemac 944 for soaps. THe BK4 is my cream brush. Its excellent and would highly recommend it to anyone. There is just something special about a Kent. You can have your Rooneys and Simpsons!

If there was a drawback to the BK4 it is that the plastic used for the handle is a very light weight. However, that is really really nit picking. I have had mine for two months and I am starting to question why I have my other brushes. Well, I have a Shavemac 944 for soaps. THe BK4 is my cream brush. Its excellent and would highly recommend it to anyone. There is just something special about a Kent. You can have your Rooneys and Simpsons!

I agree, the Kent brushes are something truly special. Which is why they deserve to have that beautiful handle made out of better material. Still picking away at that nit.

Cheers

Jeremy

Sorry to disagree here but I have a BK8 and can honestly say it is the worst shaving brush I have ever used in 20 years. It has a crappy plastic handle and has absolutely no backbone whatsoever. The only think the floppy piece of crud has going for it is the red presentation tube it comes in!! It cannot and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as a Simpson or Rooney. Mine has been for sale for ages and I've had no interest whatsoever - speaks volumes.

Sorry to disagree here but I have a BK8 and can honestly say it is the worst shaving brush I have ever used in 20 years. It has a crappy plastic handle and has absolutely no backbone whatsoever. The only think the floppy piece of crud has going for it is the red presentation tube it comes in!! It cannot and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as a Simpson or Rooney. Mine has been for sale for ages and I've had no interest whatsoever - speaks volumes.

What do you want for the BK8?

I own Simpson and Rooney brushes (Simpson PJ2 and Rooney 2/1). If I were expecting Simpson or Rooney when I bought a BK8, I'd be upset too. Kents are an entirely different approach to shaving brushes from a Rooney or Simpson. Entirely valid, but different.

I have a BK4, my first brush, which I returned to after Simpson and Rooney. Softer, wider bloom, better latherer, holds more water, easier on my sensitive skin. Simpson and Rooney are firmer, scubbier, better focused, more ergonomic handle. I like the feel of both, but my sensitive skin begs for relief and I turn to my BK4 for daily use. I still use Simpson and Rooney, but not daily or I get irritation. I face lather with soap, probably too aggressively. I love the Simpson and Rooney but they don't love me back. Great soap or all-around brushes. But everybody is different, no apologies here.

My BK4 is soft but not floppy. If you want to sell the BK8, PM me. I'm looking for a good brush for my Dad, or a backup for me. Maybe the shorter loft of the BK4 holds just enough firmness to make it "just right" for me. I have an almost-new Simpson Duke 2 Best I'd be willing to trade towards/for your BK8. The Duke 2 was just too firm for me, but may be just what you're after.

Fatboy

When I first received my BK4 I was disappointed. I was used to small Rooneys, Simpsons, and Plissons. I like scrubby even prickly brushes. I thought about putting it up for sale on the forum but didn't. Some time later I picked the BK4 up again. I found that with cream rather then soap, lathering in a bowl rather then face lathering and swirling with the tips and no pressure it was a very nice brush to shave with. I now use it when I am in the mood for that sort of feel. My initial reaction stemmed from using it as if it was a Rooney style 1 small. As in all things shaving YMMV but speaking for myself I have found with some of this stuff the fault is in my technique rather then the product.

When I first received my BK4 I was disappointed. I was used to small Rooneys, Simpsons, and Plissons. I like scrubby even prickly brushes. I thought about putting it up for sale on the forum but didn't. Some time later I picked the BK4 up again. I found that with cream rather then soap, lathering in a bowl rather then face lathering and swirling with the tips and no pressure it was a very nice brush to shave with. I now use it when I am in the mood for that sort of feel. My initial reaction stemmed from using it as if it was a Rooney style 1 small. As in all things shaving YMMV but speaking for myself I have found with some of this stuff the fault is in my technique rather then the product.

I'm with you. It needs to be used differently than a stiffer rooney or plison or simpson. And although I lather soap on my face with my BK8 I do agree that a more consistant lather is acheived by using very little pressure and only the tips in a bowl.

Top Bottom