What's new

Who is your go to nibmeister?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I have a few Montblanc Writers Editions that I bought on the secondary market. Unfortunately, they have some flow issues. I love the feel of a MB nib, but am a bit worried that tinkering with flow issues may change the writing experience. I suppose that is the risk I am going to have to take. I have heard good things form Greg Minuskin. Richard Binder, to my knowledge is not taking outside work, and regardless has a long wait. So, who do you all send your pens to for nib work?

Does John Mottinshaw take outside work or work like Binder does ?, I have no experience with him but he may be an option

The modified italic on the Essential is the only nib I have had

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im not really sure if he takes outside work. I was looking at his price list and it seems that he wants $30 to evaluate and $20 to increase flow issues. Im sure the prices may be adjusted once a call was made.

John Mottishaw of nibs.com is highly recommended.
mike at [email protected] is also recommended. mike just did some grinding and flow adjustment on my MB149 and a couple of Sailors.
i got a Customized OM nib from John on a Bexley I bought from him a couple years ago.There are others but these two are my go to guys since Richard stopped doing outside work.

Mike has the shortest wait time.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
John Mottishaw of nibs.com is highly recommended.
mike at [email protected] is also recommended. mike just did some grinding and flow adjustment on my MB149 and a couple of Sailors.
i got a Customized OM nib from John on a Bexley I bought from him a couple years ago.There are others but these two are my go to guys since Richard stopped doing outside work.

Mike has the shortest wait time.

Off hand, do you remember what the wait times are currently running?

I dont know about Mike, but I know John takes phone calls and is more than happy to to speak to his customers

I've heard good things about Mike Masuyama and Greg Minuskin. Those are probably where I'll send a couple pens at some point. John Mottishaw restored a couple of my vintage Parkers about 5 years ago. He's expensive but did great work.

-Andy

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I sent an email off to John, and his website said turn around is 6 months. I dont think I would want to be without my pens for that long. Hopefully the website just hasnt been updated.

I sent an email off to John, and his website said turn around is 6 months. I dont think I would want to be without my pens for that long. Hopefully the website just hasnt been updated.
Think he is one of the busier felles though, being one of the most known names, he is easy to trust for people doing it the first time and is probably a go to as a result... 6 months is probably accurate I would think

Actually, Isaac, that sounds about right. Letta at Pendemonium ground a Broad IPG nib to a cursive italic, and I'm happy with that. Flow could be a little better, but that's not her fault. I never mentioned changing the flow to Pendemonium when I sent them the pen.

It's $20 for a grind plus shipping. Turnaround time was a couple weeks or something. She's been grinding nibs for decades. Letta worked for Sheaffer (grinding nibs) before Pendemonium bought the space and hired her, I think.

-Andy

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
INteresting..

I sent an email to Mike, whose automated response was 10 week wait. I just hate sending out 3 or 4 pens for that long.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Go to a pen show and Binder will work on your pen while you wait. Mottishaw is attending some shows, too. I haven't tried Mike Matsuyama but have only heard good things, I'd bet he's well worth the wait.

For welding new tipping material you can't beat Greg Minuskin or Mottishaw.

Letta at Pendemonium is great for a custom grind, I've used them in the past but don't customize anything lately, I like my stock nibs and the very few grinds I still own.

I do all my own nib straightening and flow changes but I haven't done a Montblanc yet as I don't have the tool and wouldn't want to break the factory "seal".

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Go to a pen show and Binder will work on your pen while you wait. Mottishaw is attending some shows, too. I haven't tried Mike Matsuyama but have only heard good things, I'd bet he's well worth the wait.

For welding new tipping material you can't beat Greg Minuskin or Mottishaw.

Letta at Pendemonium is great for a custom grind, I've used them in the past but don't customize anything lately, I like my stock nibs and the very few grinds I still own.

I do all my own nib straightening and flow changes but I haven't done a Montblanc yet as I don't have the tool and wouldn't want to break the factory "seal".

Good advice. I seriously just want a nib adjustment. I dont want any grinding done to the pen what so ever. I really want to try to maintain the factory feel of the nib. It is just flow issues that I am having. Sadly, I do not live remotely close to any type of pen shows.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im thinking i need more. While I am writing, inkflow will stop on a few of the pens. I filled up my Fitzgerald with MB blue/black and it was an extremely dry write. I filled it up with Noodlers, and I was still having start/stop issues while writing. Like it wasnt a consistent flow of ink. My Dumas can behave similarly. I havent written with it much, but am going to give it a spin to make sure the issue I had when I bought it is not persistent. Inkflow would tend to stop with that pen as well. I dont get to write with my writers editions as much, because I dont take them to work. I have too many things in my pockets and dont like to have thing smacking into the pens.

Top Bottom