What's new

Gillette Tech DE Razor - Item of the Week 6/24/13

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hello to all.

This will be the eighteenth in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The eighteenth featured item of the week will be the Gillette Tech DE razor
. Starting Monday, 6/24/13.

Hoo boy.
I'll give it a go. My least favorite DE, but I'll try. Maybe it got better with age. If not, is using my Old type head/fat handled Tech handle frankenrazor cheating?

Can't wait to jump back in the game!
IOTW, Sunday, June 23rd, Gillette Tech Razor

Well, I did take some liberties, afterall, this is a Sunday.
My mild-mannered Tech was selected as Clean Up hitter.
Starting off was the Tortolani 13/16 straight, which I'm still learning how to use.
Only my third straight shave, but this one showed progress.
One of the important factors, I'm learning, is to take it slow and learn how the face is contoured.
Certainly a lot more contours these days than when I first started shaving!
Anyway...

Prep with SMN preshave balm
ADP shave cream + Yoresh scuttle + Omega 620 badger
First pass, just the easy areas, with the Tortolani
Chin, mustache area and cleanup with the trusty Gillette ball end Tech
Only two passes needed altogether...call it teamwork!
ADP aftershave lotion plus another smear of SMN balm
Wow, one of my cleanest shaves ever!
I'm probably good for a couple days at least.

$gillette techs-D8C_2942s.jpg

A Tech was my first ever razor back in the good old days, I guess 1970 or so. It was my mothers so I wonder now if it was a full size one or a ladies version, didn't matter much as I had very little hair to shave off anyway. Never used real shave soap at all just what ever was in the bathroom and it seemed to work ok but not great as I remember there being bits of bloodied tissue paper around the basin. Actually until i found B&B I used bath soap or canned cream no matter what razor I had ... not the best. To relive those happy days I bought one a year ago and found it to be very mind and safe razor but too mild for me even with some really sharp blades. I have read that you can put a spacer in the head and make the razor a little more aggressive but I never tried that. My current razor is a red tipped rocket ... made in England, Arko and an old cheap boar brush, I really must get a better brush!

Despite having purchased three Techs over the past four years, I may not be able to participate. Initially, I wrote off the Tech as too mild to give even a semblance of a close shave. I went back and retried it a year or so later, and with my improved technique, found it to be my favorite razor (now second to my Weber Bulldog ARC). I left one in my condo and kept one at home, which was confiscated early this year by my oldest son. He tried most of my 15 razors, and the Tech was his clear favorite. I picked him up another Tech of BST and thought my problem solved. Last week, my second oldest decided the Fat Handled Tech was the razor for him. Looks like I'll be tracking down a fourth. BTW, all three are pre-war Techs with the triangular holes on the baseplate.

Mike

Since we are talking Techs: I have a Fat Handled Tech (though I use another handle with it) with triangular holes in the base plate. I swear I found a source identifying these as being made from the late 30's to the early 40's--but can't seem to locate that page with a quick search tonight. My question is, I have heard this very razor described as being "Pre WWII". From what I remember seeing, it seems like it was made during WWII. Not that it matters much, just curious.

Since we are talking Techs: I have a Fat Handled Tech (though I use another handle with it) with triangular holes in the base plate. I swear I found a source identifying these as being made from the late 30's to the early 40's--but can't seem to locate that page with a quick search tonight. My question is, I have heard this very razor described as being "Pre WWII". From what I remember seeing, it seems like it was made during WWII. Not that it matters much, just curious.

The triangular holes indicate that it is indeed a pre-WWII Tech. There is some information on it in the Wiki if memory serves me correctly.

I have selected three Techs to use this week: a pre-war fat handled Tech, standard ball end Tech and an English Tech. Pictures and first shave to follow tomorrow.

Yessss.... I love my Techs.
so the question is do I use the fat handle, black contract, silver ball-end, or gold ball-end..?

Had a very easy shave today after taking yesterday off (I needed a lazy Sunday).

Gillette Fat Handled Tech, triangular holes (with a bulldog handle)
Gillette Goal (shave #3)
Anthony Sport preshave oil
Frank Shaving Finest Badger brush
Omega Crema (haven't used it in a while and after today, I can't figure out why--great lather)
A quick rub of alum and a quick splash of witch hazel and glycerin.

Somewhere between a CCS and a DFS, IMO.

Monday:

Gillette Ball End Tech
Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
SOC 2012 SE
Vitos Extra Super

I'm a fan of the Ball End Tech. I think it was the very first vintage razor I bought, before that I was using the plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic which was my first DE. My technique must have been awful at the time because I remember thinking the Tech was too aggressive compared to the Wilkinson Sword! :biggrin1: It's clearly a mild razor but I think, like the 40s Superspeed, when loaded with a good blade it's possible to get a good shave. I'd call it a DFS this morning with a fresh Polsilver SI.

tech head on webber bulldog handle,tobs sandlewood soap,astra blade, edwin jagger brush,had a two pass shave,wtg then atg,result is face as clean as a whistle,most of the time i use a edwin jagger head on the bulldog handle but this combo has it beat.$Picture.jpg

$0623031718.jpg

These are the three Techs that I will be using this week.

$0623031725a.jpg

Day 1 of Gillette Tech IotW:

Gillette gold fat handle Tech
Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Barbon Shave Cream
Bob Farvour BF7
Barbon Aftershave

This morning's shave result was an effortless DFS. Because the Tech is so mild I ended up doing four passes versus my usual three, opting to go for an additional ATG pass hoping for a BBS. Unfortunately I was unable to hit my target, but I am still very happy with the results. This setup is probably about as safe as you can get in the traditional/wet shaving world, tied with the Schick Krona for mildness. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this razor to anybody nervous about shaving with a safety razor as it would be very hard to cause damage other than some mild razor burn.

Tomorrow is my birthday so I will be taking a break from the IotW in order to indulge in a very special shave, but I'll be back on Wednesday with the pre-war Tech review ready to post.

Rooney 3/1 Super
Tech P-2 head with BRW Bull Mastiff handle
Gillette Stainless S-2 (1)
Charismata Vetveyr, stickified in Brut deo round
Lilac Vegetal, vintage in glass

It has been quite a while since I last dusted off this late-model Tech. The BRW handle added welcome heft. Ever tried Veg with vetiver? It works pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom