What's new

pants with a comfort/elastic waist

Yeah, I haven't worn an elastic waistband on non pajamas since I was like 12. Please do not buy elastic waistband pants as an adult. Buy properly fitting pants and/or lose weight. Or at the very least use suspenders.

Funny. :)

I started wearing elastic weight pants not because of weight problems, but because of health issues that occasionally cause abdominal bloating. I also find that correctly fitted pants will put a lot of pressure on the abdomen when sitting in a chair which is something I do for long periods.

BTW, while I can appreciate a wardrobe that makes one look good (I do actually have reasonably sense of aesthetics), I'm all about comfort and low maintenance. If I get the looks for free, then great.

At this point, my wardrobe is absolutely atrocious because I wear these pleated elastic pants with no belt (because if I did wear a belt I would have to keep adjusting it). I have actually had multiple friends tell me I need to change my look.

At the same time they are all praise for my suede chukkas which I got from Crockett & Jones, but in that case I found comfort + looks. I have trouble wearing anything but very soft leather or suede, and I wanted minimal cushioning. I had to shop hard to find the C&J...not sure if I found it on B&B or somewhere else.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
BTW, while I can appreciate a wardrobe that makes one look good (I do actually have reasonably sense of aesthetics), I'm all about comfort and low maintenance. If I get the looks for free, then great.

At this point, my wardrobe is absolutely atrocious because I wear these pleated elastic pants with no belt (because if I did wear a belt I would have to keep adjusting it). I have actually had multiple friends tell me I need to change my look.

At the same time they are all praise for my suede chukkas which I got from Crockett & Jones, but in that case I found comfort + looks. I have trouble wearing anything but very soft leather or suede, and I wanted minimal cushioning. I had to shop hard to find the C&J...not sure if I found it on B&B or somewhere else.

health issues that occasionally cause abdominal bloating. I also find that correctly fitted pants will put a lot of pressure on the abdomen when sitting in a chair which is something I do for long periods.

A guy who shopped hard to find C&J suede chukkas ... deserves to look good, and I know he has the "oompf" to do some hard shopping to find good pants, which combine looks and comfort.

May I suggest you look into getting some trousers made for suspenders. I say "made for suspenders" rather than just suggesting you sew on some suspender buttons to a regular pair of pants, because trousers made for suspenders will be made with a noticeably higher waist, so that the constriction you feel around the lower abdomen when sitting in "normal" pants should be avoided.

Since the suspenders will hold the trousers up from the shoulders, rather than relying on a belt or snug fit around the hips, you can go an inch or two beyond your usual waist size without fear of the trousers falling down or noticeable gaps.
Pants waist too low ... avoid:

proxy.php

Waist too high but you get the idea how this could be "comfortable" around the middle:

proxy.php

I think Sir is getting the idea:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Where do I find pants that sit above the waist? Do they make them anymore? Short of going the tailored route (which I did try by the way and was unhappy with the results because he made the pants too tight despite me saying several times I wanted it loose and using material that could not be washed in a machine despite me clearly asking for that), I have not been able to find much...and I have been looking.

I don't know that I would go to suspenders. Looks too avant-garde.

I love the baggy pants that sit high on the waist in retro days. I have a theory for why these died. It is much easier to produce pants that sit low on the waist that will fit most people. Getting a high-waist fit right would pretty much require custom tailoring, which has gone the way of the dodo because it's not as cost effective.

There are so many instances where I see folks wearing office attire with the shirt too short and the pant sitting so low, that when the person bends you see their butt crack. Absolutely gross, IMO.

I have a couple pair from Land's End that are comfortable and nice looking, casual trousers. Bought them six-eight years ago. Take a look at their site.

For dress slacks and even suit pants, too. I have some for a few years that have held up nicely. I have liked and gotten good wear out of the rather amazingly cheap at least on sale suits Lands End has had, at least as of a few years ago. I have not kept up. What I would consider "beater" suits.

Yeah, I haven't worn an elastic waistband on non pajamas since I was like 12. Please do not buy elastic waistband pants as an adult. Buy properly fitting pants and/or lose weight. Or at the very least use suspenders.

Elastic waistband and velcro shoes, scream, "I've given up" and everyone's favourite, "Kids, get off my lawn!"

Somewhat off topic -

When I was growing up somewhere in the early 80's velcro shoes were all the rage. There was one specific brand that all the kids around me used to wear, but I don't remember what it was...I think it was British. Why did velcro die out? Just an image/fashion thing?

Roos were really big in the 80's.

Somewhat tangentially to this conversation, I find it amusing how many people wander into a subforum on mens fashion and proclaim their fondness for t shirts and cargo pants.

I found a pair of pants that is at least around 16 years old (because I relocated about a year after getting them). I found it in my closet. They are by Savane and were made in Mexico. I probably paid < $50 for them back then because I didn't spend more than $50 on any piece of clothing in those days. In those days, I wore jeans all the time, so these pants only got worn once in a while (like < 5 times a year) when I needed business casual clothing.

The reason I'm writing this -- they have full seat and sit very comfortably high on the waist; they don't have a tendency to keep slipping down like the pants of today. They are pleated but not overly baggy like today's pleated pants. They don't have an elastic waist, though.

I must be old. I keep thinking things were better in the past.

The Territory Ahead pant that I mentioned above was poor quality. I sent it back immediately.

However, I'm noticing several options now:
- Dockers has several, but they keep messing with the quality.
- Haggar -- I just recently got a pair of these.
- Berle - Just discovered this brand on Nordstrom.com http://berle.com/collections/self-sizer

Comfort waist is the only way to go! Once you get used to it, there is no going back to regular pants. I suspect more and more brands will offer options.

Several years ago I had a pair of Haggar slacks with the comfort waist. They were very comfortable. I tried another pair last year and they weren't as comfortable.

I don't have any medical issues but I do have a 40" waist. I'm happy with 100% wool slacks as they are light and comfortable.

I have found that belts are a major factor in that tight, restricted feeling. My higher quality leather belts are a bit thinner and have some give to them, which makes them far more comfortable. I had a synthetic leather belt which felt fine when standing but like a vise when sitting. Cheaper leather is a bit better. The good belts weren't super stretchy but I have no discomfort with them.

Just a thought.

I have found that belts are a major factor in that tight, restricted feeling. My higher quality leather belts are a bit thinner and have some give to them, which makes them far more comfortable. I had a synthetic leather belt which felt fine when standing but like a vise when sitting. Cheaper leather is a bit better. The good belts weren't super stretchy but I have no discomfort with them.

Just a thought.

(Hiding from the fashion police. :))

I haven't used belts in several years now, so belt is not the problem. When I did wear a belt, I always wore it loose enough that it really was just cosmetic. If someone forced me to wear a belt now, I would probably get something that had elastic/stretch in it too like those braided belts, but I have no desire for it.

If I could make a pant my way, it would be:
- Stretch/adjustable waistband
- Organic cotton
- No pleats
- Relaxed fit
- No belt loops
- No cuffs at the bottom
- Sits at or slightly above the waist

Right now the Docker D4 that I wear is a huge compromise, satisfying only 3 of those 7 requirements.
- Stretch/adjustable waistband
- Cotton/poly
- Pleats
- Relaxed fit
- Belt loops
- Cuffs at the bottom
- Sits at the waist

My problem with wool is the maintenance. I never visit the cleaners, always making sure everything I buy is machine wash/dry. I prefer light colored clothes so every stain shows and needs to be cleaned very frequently.

The only maintenance I've had to do with the wool pants is launder them every few months. I wear them only to work (desk job) and change as soon as I get home so they don't get dirty (small kids and a dog) and hang them up so they don't get wrinkled. They air out nicely and a quick brushing keeps them very clean.

I think I have found what I like in Berle. They make a ton of pants which are not even advertised on their website, but which are on:
https://www.thehubltd.com/
I was referred to them by Berle. I'm trying different materials now to decide which I like best.

Top Bottom