What's new

NYC Traditional Wet-Shaving MeetUp?

With the ongoing revival and rise of traditional wet-shaving, old-school barbershops, and period men's grooming styles and sartorial fashions, it occurs to me that I'd like a place to go to meet others into this scene. I'd be fascinated to:
  1. Learn from experts: Meet guys who've been at it for a long time and experts who can share techniques, give demos, teach
  2. Get Guidance: on how to shave. Hands on clinics on dealing with techniques, tools, issues, challenges.
  3. Learn about styles: historical and regional men's grooming and fashion styles, who wore them, who wears them, and how to recreate them
  4. Check out hard and software: see, touch, test-shave vintage, reproduction, and contemporary wet-shaving hardware and software
  5. Buy: that stuff
  6. Meet: others into this scene
  7. Find out where to learn more
  8. Join: groups and get engaged
Who might organize a straight razor meetup for NYC? At a barber shop, Art of Shaving or the like after hours, even someone's home. I'd appreciate the opportunity to observe shaving methods, blade grip, pass techniques, stropping, honing, and... whatever else there is, and talk SR shop. It'd be cool to have hobbyists and vendors there with products to check out, who might defray costs. Attendance could be free, set fee, or suggested donation.

Have a drink, a snack, and it'd be a party. And/or a mini-trade show. Or a wet-shaving tupperware party. Or all the above...?

Other than the NY Shaving Society and FSC, which are only the class part, is there anything like this in NYC?

Anyone else who'd want to go to something like this? Who'd like to help organize? Contact me.

All lathered up,

BarbaGnosa

Last edited:
There have been NYC meetups...we go to Pasteurs for shaving stuff, Art Brown's to look at fountain pens, and then eat at Haggis.

If I had my druthers, I would like to Pasteurs, Cambridge Chemists, visit the Fountain Pen Hospital, and eat delicious corned beef sandwhiches at a Kosher deli.

With the ongoing revival and rise of traditional wet-shaving, old-school barbershops, and period men's grooming styles and sartorial fashions, it occurs to me that I'd like a place to go to meet others into this scene. I'd be fascinated to:
  1. Learn from experts: Meet guys who've been at it for a long time and experts who can share techniques, give demos, teach
  2. Get Guidance: on how to shave. Hands on clinics on dealing with techniques, tools, issues, challenges.
  3. Learn about styles: historical and regional men's grooming and fashion styles, who wore them, who wears them, and how to recreate them
  4. Check out hard and software: see, touch, test-shave vintage, reproduction, and contemporary wet-shaving hardware and software
  5. Buy: that stuff
  6. Meet: others into this scene
  7. Find out where to learn more
  8. Join: groups and get engaged
Who might organize a straight razor meetup for NYC? At a barber shop, Art of Shaving or the like after hours, even someone's home. I'd appreciate the opportunity to observe shaving methods, blade grip, pass techniques, stropping, honing, and... whatever else there is, and talk SR shop. It'd be cool to have hobbyists and vendors there with products to check out, who might defray costs. Attendance could be free, set fee, or suggested donation.

Have a drink, a snack, and it'd be a party. And/or a mini-trade show. Or a wet-shaving tupperware party. Or all the above...?

Other than the NY Shaving Society and FSC, which are only the class part, is there anything like this in NYC?

Anyone else who'd want to go to something like this? Who'd like to help organize? Contact me.

All lathered up,

BarbaGnosa

Is this still a possibility?

Hi Friends and fellow wet shavers, its time for another great get together of the Northeast members.

Come join us Sunday, Aug 10th, at 9AM in sunny Valley Stream, NY 11580
address is 420 West Merrick Rd

Coffee brewed and provided by our very own coffee meister Geoffrey Childs (GC7). Donuts and bagels provided by svcaramia

Join your friends for a fun filled, educational morning of all things related to razors and shaving.
Get a free honing from Nelson (Bayamontate) or Bill3123 two of our local JNAT kings
I'm not kidding when I tell you these guys can put an edge on a butter knife that will give you that much sought after BBS shave

Not a jnat man, don't worry Michael Sorkin (mjsorkin) will be there as well. He can show you how to maximize your edges off synthetic stones.
Need help stropping? No problem he can hook you up. Very friendly guy with the patience of a saint.
Like suitas? Talk to Frank (airportcopper). Let him tell you his experience on his quest to get the stone of his dreams

Bring your razors, your brushes, your loom what ever it is. If its shave related we want to see it. Show it off or get a second opinion. Make us jealous.
Its OK we can take it.

Selling and trading allowed.

Look forward to seeing you all.
Need directions? Have a question? PM me for a prompt reply

Guys just wanted to announce we have received great prizes to be raffled off at our meet up.. Stirling soaps.. And gingers gardens, as well as captains choice products all have been nice enough to make donations to our event..

Top Bottom