What's new

Tartine Bread

Those look great! My 90% wholemeal/10% rye loaf came out okay, but I didn't develop the dough for as long as I normally would so it was a little dense but still extremely tasty. I think I'll grab some gluten and give it another shot

Thanks Dave. Let us know if the gluten helps.

I picked up small bags of whole wheat flour and white whole wheat flour to experiment with on my next batch of bread. I'll probably use the white whole wheat flour first and mix it with bread flour.

I assume you know, Shawn, but for others, while there are literally hundreds of wheats out there, the majority of white wheat is a softer wheat (lower in protein) and more generally used for pastry than bread. Adding gluten to this may be a good idea as well.

Good luck.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I'll try a mix of white whole wheat and bread flour and see how it comes out. If I need to add gluten on the next batch I will.

Great thread Shawn. And for you guys who wondered about it, vital wheat gluten is a real boon to how heavier loaves like whole wheat or multi-grain raise and develop. Well worth it.

I have not tried making sourdough yet but have done the no knead thing a few times. I was getting loaves that looked like your photo in post #40. Great stuff but I have always wanted to take a crack at sourdough.

Cheers Todd

Todd,

I've actually made several no knead sourdough loaves. It's remarkably easy...the hardest part is remembering to feed your starter.

Great thread Shawn. And for you guys who wondered about it, vital wheat gluten is a real boon to how heavier loaves like whole wheat or multi-grain raise and develop. Well worth it.

I have not tried making sourdough yet but have done the no knead thing a few times. I was getting loaves that looked like your photo in post #40. Great stuff but I have always wanted to take a crack at sourdough.

Cheers Todd

Thanks Todd. I've done a few of the different no knead breads and I've had the most success using Jim Lahey's method.

Todd,

I've actually made several no knead sourdough loaves. It's remarkably easy...the hardest part is remembering to feed your starter.

What recipes were you using for no knead sourdough?

And remembering to feed the starter isn't trivial! It's easy to forget about it.

I tried the baguette recipe from Tartine Bread today. Well, I actually started it yesterday and finished it today. I made more of a Batard shape than a baguette shape. My baking stone is pretty small and If I was going to make baguettes from a whole batch of dough I'd probably be baking bread all day. One loaf is slightly misshapen, I had to put a bend in it to get it to fit on my baking stone. The loaves are darker than they appear in the picture.

$424574_596967570335383_681198834_n.jpg

Next up, English Muffins from the other 2/3 of the dough from the baguette recipe.

What's in the muffin dough? I find that you need a lot of milk and extra fat to avoid them turning out like rocks

What's in the muffin dough? I find that you need a lot of milk and extra fat to avoid them turning out like rocks

Flour, water, salt, sourdough starter, and a tiny bit of active yeast. I'm going to make the muffins from the left over dough from the baguette recipe. The batards are very light, and texturally different from the country loaves that I have made before. I hope they don't turn out like rocks.

By rocks I just meant that they turn out extremely crusty. Muffins/baps/barmcakes/rolls (name varies by region, but the correct term is barmcake :biggrin1:) over here tend to have a very soft crust. I'm sure they'll still be great though!

English Muffins.

They are delicious. I will definitely be making these again. They are cooked on the stove top on medium low heat, they did have a bit of a crust, but I expected that. I think the crust adds a nice texture because the center is very spongy, almost creamy. The nooks and crannies didn't develop as much as I had hoped for, next time I will stretch out the final rise.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I made a cake on the stove top once in a Dutch oven, worked very well.

I received a Lodge 5 quart Dutch Oven for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, and took it for a spin today, following Lahey's no knead recipe, but substituting a quarter cup of sourdough starter per Craig's link above. The first rise lasted about 16 hours, followed by a 2.5 hour second rise. Oven spring wasn't tremendous, but this gave me a better looking result than my first try using yeast. It's still cooling, and I'm hoping it tastes as good as it looks.

Top Bottom