What's new

B&B Essential Shaving Brush - Item of the Week 6/17/13

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hello to all.

This will be the seventeenth in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The seventeenth featured item of the week will be the Badger & Blade Essential boar shaving brush
. Starting Monday, 6/17/13.

I am going to have to sit this one out as I sold all of my boar brushes months ago and have not replaced any of them :sad:

Strictly a badger and synthetic guy now. No more pony or piggy brushes for me :lol:

I am going to have to sit this one out as I sold all of my boar brushes months ago and have not replaced any of them :sad:

Strictly a badger and synthetic guy now. No more pony or piggy brushes for me :lol:

I am kind of feeling that way too. Got rid of two boars, acquired two badgers. No synthetics, but eyeing the Kent.

Woot! I purchased the brush just so I could participate in my first item of the week. I've been using it three days now sort of trying to break it in.

I'm in! I purchased the smoke handle brush a while back, but actually have not used it even once yet. I've been trying to stick to a single brush for at least two weeks at a time to get things dialed in, so it hasn't come up in the rotation yet.

I'm looking forward to it. I love my Semogue boars (620, 1800, SOC) and the rave reviews this brush gets has me excited.

This week will be 'off' for me, but it's been great these past few weeks with IOTW!
Some wonderful shaves plus some learning!
Looking forward to a new line-up and some more shave excitement soon!

$contact sheet may june 2013.jpg

I've used the B&B brush for the past two shaves. I've gotten good results so far, which I anticipate to be even better as the brush breaks in. The only issue I'm having now is with the handle. How do you guys hold this brush?

When face lathering with this brush I kind of have to make a claw-like grip on the end of the handle because the handle is so short. Any other suggestions?

$IMG_1554.jpg
I used my Red Handle B&B Boar today; it was also my first time using Palmolive stick. I let the brush soak longer than usual (I got called away between putting the brush in the bowl and stepping into the shower), which seems to have made it a bit floppier than usual. I also found that I needed to add a lot of water before I got a decent lather going on my face. I rubbed the stick on my face until I had a thin layer of soap everywhere, then gave the brush one gentle "drop" and started face lathering. I had a fair amount of water run off the brush while I did this, but then had to dip the tip in water about a dozen times before I finally worked up a good lather. The lather itself was terrific, with lots of glide, but it seemed to take forever. I had just about enough lather for two passes, so I don't think the issue was too much soap. Since I'm not switching up brushes this week, I've decided to combine IOW with a "head to head" of my soap sticks (Arko, La Toja, Palmolive). Stay tuned...

Last edited:
I've used the B&B brush for the past two shaves. I've gotten good results so far, which I anticipate to be even better as the brush breaks in. The only issue I'm having now is with the handle. How do you guys hold this brush?

When face lathering with this brush I kind of have to make a claw-like grip on the end of the handle because the handle is so short. Any other suggestions?

I hold the brush so the base of the handle is in the center of my palm, and the tips of my fingers are holding the base of the knot. I suppose you could describe this as "claw-like"?

Day 1 off to a good start:

B&B Essential Boar brush (red handle)
RazoRock Classic
EJ 89BA with Astra SP blade
Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel
Proraso Balm w/green tea and oat

Bowl lathered in my DB scuttle. Rich, luxurious lather, as always from RR Classic. Nice almond scent. DFS! Great way to start a Monday!

I think I'll face lather tomorrow...

IOTW Day 1: 06/16/2013

Soap: Cella
Brush: B&B Essential Brush
Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Astra SP
A/S: AV Ice Blue

Top Bottom