What's new

Sometimes life just likes to tease you.

F4 Toggle at the Antique fair just now. Dealer not willing to move on price. Sigh.

Attachments

• $IMG_20130609_075551_859.jpg
    $IMG_20130609_075551_859.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 237
They must have done some research. What you should have done is found a pen with matching ink and put a little decimal after the 1 while he/she wasn't looking and proceeded to hand over the money and say I'll take it.

They must have done some research. What you should have done is found a pen with matching ink and put a little decimal after the 1 while he/she wasn't looking and proceeded to hand over the money and say I'll take it.

I know you are joking but that would have been really unscrupulous : /

No need gents! I bought it for a great deal. Went back around and he had a change of heart as he knows I collect. Woot! A toggle in the wild. My third!

Last edited:
No need gents! I bought it for a great deal. Went back around and he had a change of heart as he knows I collect. Woot! A toggle in the wild. My third!

Third!!! Now you are just showing off!! Ooops must not let my jealousy show. :001_smile

I mean Congrats!!!.........Third!! Way to go rx!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't have hesitated to whip out the wallet and offer the guy $125, but I would have paid $135 to take it home. Maybe guys like me are why the price of razors are going up, but it would drive me crazy knowing I had decided I wouldn't pay over say, $100 for the toggle. Then I'd be setting at home that night, without the toggle, knowing that for the price of lunch at Chili's or somewhere, or the price of a couple of mid level 100 packs of razors, that I'd missed out on a toggle. I'd be kicking myself until I found another one...and probably still even then.

Third!!! Now you are just showing off!! Ooops must not let my jealousy show. :001_smile
I mean Congrats!!!.........Third!! Way to go rx!!

Thanks Tom! I'm hoping to one day find something of your caliber in your collection. Like a nickel toggle or 1-5. Until then this is good:)

Third Toggle in the wild!?!?!
I was fortunate in my early hunting days to have found couple back to back a month apart. Unfortunately I didn't pay $2.50 for this one! Lol.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/260592-Toggle-2-Estate-sale-Enjoy!?highlight=

I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't have hesitated to whip out the wallet and offer the guy $125, but I would have paid $135 to take it home. Maybe guys like me are why the price of razors are going up, but it would drive me crazy knowing I had decided I wouldn't pay over say, $100 for the toggle. Then I'd be setting at home that night, without the toggle, knowing that for the price of lunch at Chili's or somewhere, or the price of a couple of mid level 100 packs of razors, that I'd missed out on a toggle. I'd be kicking myself until I found another one...and probably still even then.

Jeff,
I know how you feel but one of the HARDEST things to do in this hobby is to leave something behind. I don't want to but it happens. It needs to be a good deal for both seller & buyer. Even a toggle. Walking away will sometimes help you cool your jets and really decide if you want it. There's also a bit of a play going on if you walk and come back showing interest. Fortunately for me this dealer was actually willing to move it as opposed to it being a paperweight.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I've just never been good at walking away from something I really want and figuring out how to be ok with it. It just eats and eats at me. I've been able to do it from time to time, but not with stuff I REALLY want. I guess I'm just more of a buyer. It takes all of us to make the world go round. I would like to be better at it though.....

I hate to see the large white price tags that have "sells for $$$.$$ online" Gees just put it online then :lol:

I hate to see the large white price tags that have "sells for $$$.$$ online" Gees just put it online then :lol:

I know what you mean. I've had dealers mention auction prices and I tell them just that. But most of the time I'm ok at convincing them to let go of it at a decent price. We also have to remember many of these dealers.pick them up for $5-10 so if they charge $20 for a red tip it's not like their trying to make a killing. It's just not for you but rather the end or final user. That's ok too but what's important and I can't emphasis this enough is to leave them with a good impression. I say with sincerity "I wish you good luck in your sales today" it if it's a lady "you have a really nice display. You did a great job with this". In two instances dealers today specifically mentioned brining razor for me. A third just didnt have room to bring them. Cultivating a relationship goes a LONG way but takes time.

I know what you mean. I've just never been good at walking away from something I really want and figuring out how to be ok with it. It just eats and eats at me. I've been able to do it from time to time, but not with stuff I REALLY want. I guess I'm just more of a buyer. It takes all of us to make the world go round. I would like to be better at it though.....

Well truth be told I'm not really that much better at it. I'm just broke.:biggrin1:

Insane!!! I would think any of us would be lucky to find one toggle in the wild in our lifetime!

I agree. I'm VERY fortunate. I live in a honey pot of antique country.

I honestly don't blame ppl for researching their goods. I suppose if they play the internet card, you can play the "yeah, but you aren't taking into account the final value fee, the listing fee, the shipping fee ebay takes now, the paypal fee, the actual having to ship something energy expenditure thing, and the nice getting cash money in hand right there and then card."

Top Bottom