What's new

Healing Those Little Cuts and Nicks!

This past week I had a surgeon remove a small pre-cancerous spot on the right side of my nose caused by sun damage. Last year, I had the un-nerving experience of having a plastic surgeon do a full nose-flap operation to remove an actual skin cancer on the left side of my nose. [Fortunately, due to the skill of the plastic surgeon, the effects of last year's surgery are now totally invisible.]

The surgeon this week recommended that I put "Mederma" on the nose scar twice a day for two months. It is readily available in your local drug store for a slightly exhorbitant fee. He said it will greatly reduce the scarring. The thought occurred to me that we who occasionally slash, cut, or nick our faces with our straight razors (or double edge razors) might profit from the use of Mederma to reduce any scarring that might occur.

In my case, during my first week of using a straight razor, I cut a nasty two-inch long vertical slash just in front of each ear. Mederma would have been very useful to me.

Just a head's up: I am not a physician, so follow directions and use at your own risk.

Happy Shaving!

Mederma is really some amazing stuff and I believe it is just highly concentrated onion or onion peel extract. They get a handsome sum for it, for sure! But it deserves the price paid. My aunt had an accident that left her face badly banged up. She applied Mederma faithfully and now, less than a year later, you cannot even tell there was any damage to her face. Truly a miracle product.

I've been using it on a small scar which I got from straights. It is very small, and a little bit visible, but I was hoping mederma would making it go away almost completely. I've used it for about 2 months now, and to be honest, I don't think it has done much, if anything. The scar wasn't discolored to begin with, only a little bit dug-in.

I've also got a second cut which I treated a little better when it happened. I used polysporin on it, didn't shave over it this time (duh), and so far it seems to be healing ok, and since I still have some mederma I'm using it on it, but I'm still not convinced about the product. I guess we'll see. This time the scar has a bit of discoloration so I'm thinking mederma might help change its color over time.

Top Bottom