What's new

What do you drive?

2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

dramatic photo for fun

$image.jpg

Work truck:
2015 Ford F-550 6.7 diesel, it's turning out to be a bigger piece of junk than the 6.4.
5 repairs in 13 months.
9k mile...pinion seal leaking
14k miles...oil leak
16k miles...fuel leak
36k miles... bad crankcase ventilation sensor
42k miles.....radiator leaking, in the same place the 6.4's would leak, $1,500 repair not under warranty.

Personal car:
2012 Honda Civic Si, 34k miles and no problems, stock but tuned and driven hard.

In March of 2019 I traded my 2011 Buick Regal for a '15 CPO BMW 328i, gold over cream, pretty much the base model but loaded with all sorts of gadgets anyway. Quick with 240 hp, incredibly efficient (25-27 mpg with 70% city driving), it served me well . . . for four months. A freak July rainstorm and flood on a street that never floods totaled the car with only 35K miles on it.

I couldn't find anything else in BMW that I liked and could afford. So in August I went back to Buick: a 2016 LaCrosse premium, ruby red over cream, 300 hp V-6, with most of the frills except a sunroof (which I dislike anyway). I gave it a good claying (the paint looked great, but it felt rough) and waxing, have had one oil change and tire rotation, and recently added sport pedals -- which make the car even more fun to drive -- and will have the wheels repainted next week. Except for the color, it looks like your basic AARP grocery-getter and grandkid-hauler; and yet that V-6 makes it fly.

Can’t beat a reliable Ranger.
Nope. When I bought it 10 years ago it had 40,000 miles on it. It was owned by a nurse that drove it to the hospital and back. Now, 10 yeas later, it’s at 88,000. I only drive it to work and back, 20 miles per day. Lately it just sits in the driveway.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My mom has had a Ranger for many, many years. It was used when she got it. However, unlike yours, she didn’t keep it cared for. In fact, she abused that more than any vehicle deserves. It’s been wrecked, flooded, ran for years without oil changes or tune ups. Broke down, overheated, bottomed out, and just every imaginable thing someone can do to a truck. My mother is 80 years young and that truck has just recently gave up the ghost after serving her faithfully thru that abuse for going on 40 years.

My mom has had a Ranger for many, many years. It was used when she got it. However, unlike yours, she didn’t keep it cared for. In fact, she abused that more than any vehicle deserves. It’s been wrecked, flooded, ran for years without oil changes or tune ups. Broke down, overheated, bottomed out, and just every imaginable thing someone can do to a truck. My mother is 80 years young and that truck has just recently gave up the ghost after serving her faithfully thru that abuse for going on 40 years.
I’m 68 and I expect the Ranger to outlive me. It just depends on how long Ford makes parts.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My car - 2016 Ford Focus
Wife's Car - 2016 Hyundai Elantra

Good gas mileage. I usually buy Ford motor vehicles.

Top Bottom