What's new

An Arko Thread To End All Arko Threads

What's the best way to convert a stick into something that can go in a mug or whatever?

I just sort of tore one in half and shoved it in a mug, and later chopped it up and tried to layer them at the bottom. It seems to work OK.

cheese grinder, quick and easy, then pressed with fingers and I make a lather so surface is nice. But I love my soap sticks in a stick. I use this method on other soaps without suitable container.

Last edited:
If you freeze the soap first, very little stays behind in the grater. Just rinse the grater with hot water, and you have a very clean cheese grater.

I used Arko for the first time this past weekend when I traveled. I liked it. Nice lather. Ivory soap smell. Very convenient in the twist-up container I grated/pressed it into. It left my face really soft as though my face had been moisturized. Nice.

My only quibble is that when using it, the Arko generates these little viscous strings that have the consistency of snot.

I am an Arko faithful. To me, very few soaps approach its performance in terms of slickness -- this especially when taking its price into consideration. Think how many splashes of water it requires to get Arko completely off your face when you are done -- again, there are very few soaps out there that do Arko-well slickness-wise. However, my faithfulness comes from a different place. A friend, who was born and raised in Mexico, used my bathroom in which an opened stick of Arko sat. She came out and said, beaming, "What is that smell? It reminds me of Mexico." I smiled and said "Yes. It does." Many have reported how Arko reminds them of laundry detergent, of simple soap. But Arko is no Ivory or Irish Spring or Dove. Arko is "clean" but not Western "clean". When I say "Western", I mean the push towards "fresh", utterly sanitized feeling of "clean", total triumph of chemistry over the body. I mean the cultural push to completely sanitize our bodies from all vestiges of that which reminds us, that connect us to the natural world -- hair, sweat, bodily secretions. We then compensate the sanitation with the quest for the Perfect Scent (the stand in for the natural). One of the most candid descriptions of Arko is "urinal puck". I would love to see the breakdown of Westerners/non-Westerners among the Arko-haters. I am certain that the majority of haters are Westerners -- especially Americans -- the nation for whom a day without a shower is unthinkable, for whom tobacco smoke is downright immoral (health and cleanliness/freshness are but a hair's width apart in our collective consciousness -- pun intended; in America, we all want to live forever so much that we forget to actually live), and a sight of unaddressed hair is shameful (since when do "lumberjacks" groom and condition their beards?). "Aquatics" were designed with workout obsessed Americans in mind who wanted something characterless but vaguely authentic, something to toss on to remind them that they are, indeed, "clean". Arko is clean, but not THAT kind of clean. If you've traveled, I mean really traveled, not merely consumed places -- you definitely caught a whiff of Arko-ness...in Mexico, Belize, UAE, Turkey, India, Malaysia, China, Eastern Europe even.... There is something "dirty" in Arko's clean to our Western noses, something unsettling, alien. There are many different ways of being "clean" and Arko is a superb reminder of that fact. When people hate Arko, they really hate it, and my take on it is -- it is not purely aesthetic.

Arko is soft enough to tamp into a tub without having to bother with grating or slicing, in my experience. However, I'm going to use my next one as a shave stick, as I enjoy that method of building a lather.

I am an Arko faithful. To me, very few soaps approach its performance in terms of slickness -- this especially when taking its price into consideration. Think how many splashes of water it requires to get Arko completely off your face when you are done -- again, there are very few soaps out there that do Arko-well slickness-wise. However, my faithfulness comes from a different place. A friend, who was born and raised in Mexico, used my bathroom in which an opened stick of Arko sat. She came out and said, beaming, "What is that smell? It reminds me of Mexico." I smiled and said "Yes. It does." Many have reported how Arko reminds them of laundry detergent, of simple soap. But Arko is no Ivory or Irish Spring or Dove. Arko is "clean" but not Western "clean". When I say "Western", I mean the push towards "fresh", utterly sanitized feeling of "clean", total triumph of chemistry over the body. I mean the cultural push to completely sanitize our bodies from all vestiges of that which reminds us, that connect us to the natural world -- hair, sweat, bodily secretions. We then compensate the sanitation with the quest for the Perfect Scent (the stand in for the natural). One of the most candid descriptions of Arko is "urinal puck". I would love to see the breakdown of Westerners/non-Westerners among the Arko-haters. I am certain that the majority of haters are Westerners -- especially Americans -- the nation for whom a day without a shower is unthinkable, for whom tobacco smoke is downright immoral (health and cleanliness/freshness are but a hair's width apart in our collective consciousness -- pun intended; in America, we all want to live forever so much that we forget to actually live), and a sight of unaddressed hair is shameful (since when do "lumberjacks" groom and condition their beards?). "Aquatics" were designed with workout obsessed Americans in mind who wanted something characterless but vaguely authentic, something to toss on to remind them that they are, indeed, "clean". Arko is clean, but not THAT kind of clean. If you've traveled, I mean really traveled, not merely consumed places -- you definitely caught a whiff of Arko-ness...in Mexico, Belize, UAE, Turkey, India, Malaysia, China, Eastern Europe even.... There is something "dirty" in Arko's clean to our Western noses, something unsettling, alien. There are many different ways of being "clean" and Arko is a superb reminder of that fact. When people hate Arko, they really hate it, and my take on it is -- it is not purely aesthetic.

Interesting analysis. As a fan of both Arko and Turkish Kolonya, I know what you mean. There's a clean scent that's a bit earthy...like fruit growing out of the ground, or a breeze through the trees. My wife is Southeast Asian, and traveling there, I've become acquainted with Asian medicinal oils, exotic (to me) fruits and flowers, etc---and they're all very different from the generic "clean" scent profile that we in the West associate with cleanliness. I'm an American, and I like Coast soap, by my wife's Chinese Bee & Flower soap is something else entirely.

I like Arko too - I use an Arko puck regularly
It was the first puck of soap I tried out when I went back to DE shaving 2 years ago - I've still got a spare puck in my drawer that I bought 2 years ago

Unlike a lot of other members, I quite like the refreshing citrus scent of Arko - best described by another member as being similar to the fresh lemony scent of a freshly cleaned "airplane bathroom" - next time you fly, make sure you're 1st in the queue to use the cubicle and take a deep whiff of the citrus scented, air conditioned air and think "Ahhhhhhhhh - Arko"
The screwtop on the Arko pucks seals in all the lemon scented freshness, but from past experience with Arko sticks, the scent fades over time if it's exposed to air
The red plastic container looks ultra cool and retro and is ideal for use as a travel soap

If you like Arko, try Derby - IMHO they're both as good as each other, but Derby is more user friendly............

Derby is very malleable, but it has a firmer texture - I cut some Derby sticks into wafer thin slices and pressed them into a stainless steel camping mug with a lid - it's a breeze to load up a brush
Derby has the same refreshing scent, but the scent won't fade like Arko will

I don't see why anyone grates it. It's so easy to slice and smush with your thumbs. Arko is my favorite shave soap and I honestly have always found the smell to be pleasant. It just smells like old fashioned soap. I always bowl lather it, and get an amazing lather extremely quickly.

I would have to say that Arko is one of my top favorites for both scent and the quality of the shave I get from it. I use it as my baseline soap when trying something new or after I hone a razor to see how well the shave goes. It has always performed amazingly well and I bought enough to last me quite a few years at the rate that I am using it at. :thumbup:

Arko is the most bang for your buck, that's for sure. I put mine in a tube and it works just great.

$Merkur Arko.jpg

kneel at the alter of Arko and give thanks non-believers (Arkotheists???)

Atheists would still work, since Kirko is a God Emperor. Arkotheists would be worshipers of Arko :lol:

The root word is theist - one who believes there is a god who created and governs all creation. A in atheist stands for without, it's a carryover from Greek.

Atheists would still work, since Kirko is a God Emperor. Arkotheists would be worshipers of Arko :lol:

The root word is theist - one who believes there is a god who created and governs all creation. A in atheist stands for without, it's a carryover from Greek.

Don't forget us Arkognostics.

If I may be so bold as to try my hand at some additional etymological derivations:

Arkotheist - believes Arko is divine, or worships Arko
Arkoist - believes in Arko
Aarkoist - does not believe in Arko
Misarkoist - hater of Arko
Philoarkoist or Arkophile - a lover of Arko
Arkophobe - fears Arko

I am a philoarkoist.

If I may be so bold as to try my hand at some additional etymological derivations:

Arkotheist - believes Arko is divine, or worships Arko
Arkoist - believes in Arko
Aarkoist - does not believe in Arko
Misarkoist - hater of Arko
Philoarkoist or Arkophile - a lover of Arko
Arkophobe - fears Arko

I am a philoarkoist.

Very good!

Top Bottom