What's new

1st straight shave!

This morning I had my first shave with a straight razor, and I consider it a success! Granted, I used a Parker shavette which isn't truly a straight razor, but I'm hoping this can be a good starter until I get the hang of it and it only cost $17.95 on WCS. I figured that if I don't like it, I can go back to my Edwin Jagger safety razor and not be stuck with an expensive straight. I started with a Derby blade because I was pretty nervous about cutting myself, but I found that I only had a few very small nicks. It wasn't any worse than using a different blade with my Edwin. Next time I think I will use a Racer, which is what I normally use in my DE. I found that it took much longer, as it should. I was extremely careful, but found that some spots required repeat passes. I attribute this more to the Derby blade than the razor. I did get a closer shave on my neck than I normally get with one pass of the Edwin. I used a sampler of T&H Sandalwood cream that I just got and it seemed to do the job ok. What is better for straight shaving, soap or cream? Does it matter? I usually use Cremo as a pre-shave base if I 'm multi pass shaving, and I might use that with the straight while I'm learning. Any suggestions for shortening the learning curve are appreciated. :001_smile

Gratz on joining the club!
i shave with a Parker shavette all the time! It's nothing to be ashamed of and it can help towards full straight edge technique if you decide to go that way!
as with SE shaving its all to do with technique and prep work!
hot shower or towels, pre shave oil, good lather (soap or cream is personal experience or choice)....then it's just practice and technique.
for a real sharp blade try a Feather DE blade! Awesomely sharp!

I used a shavette for 6 years. Liked it but IMO a straight is much smoother gives a better shave and is more forgiving. I couldn't use it everyday and never got a BBS on my neck. With the straight I got BBS everywhere everytime in 3 months. Im not trying to talk you out of it or into something else, Im just sharing my experience with it.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm hoping for more advice from some more members here. It sounds like the shavette is a good way to start so I know what a sharp blade should feel like.

Congrats on taking the plunge. I only seriously committed to straights maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago, so I'm not very far ahead of you. To the extent that I differ from the more experienced members, definitely heed their advice over mine. I asked a similar question when first starting, and the general response was that only a straight is a straight. That's not a judgement of which is better, rather they are two different tools, in my opinion. I think a shavette helps with getting comfortable with the grips and skin stretching needed to shave this way, but it's a very different feel on the face.

As far as soaps vs. creams, the general consensus is that a more watery lather is preferable, as it lessens the likelihood of the blade getting stuck. Some people find that's easier to achieve with soaps, but it comes down to personal preference.

To shorten the learning curve, my advice is to commit yourself 100% (or as close to 100% as you can get). My first few shaves, I really struggled shaving my chin and upper lip. I had to clean up those areas with a DE as I need to be presentable at work. However, I did make an attempt in those areas on every shave. Then one day, without being conscious of it, I had shaved my chin with the straight, and there was no need for a DE touch-up. Since then, it has basically been no looking back. I have used a shavette once or twice, which is dependent on how much time I have to shave. Another thing that helps is to absorb as much content on YouTube as possible. For me at least, seeing it done the right way helped me immensely.

So congrats again, and stick with it. There will certainly be ebbs and flows in the beginning, but the community always has great tips to help get past those hurdles. Good luck!

one thing to really get to grips with asap is stretching your skin and also seeing if your capable and relaxed enough to go off-hand.
for stretching I start at the top of my sideburns; reach a hand over the top of my head and pull upwards from just above the earline to stretch the upper sideburn area....shave that then move the stretching hand down as I shave lower towards the chin
from there use a horizontal stretch from your mid cheek towards your nose to pull the upper jawline onto your cheek area and shave that. repeat on opposite side
from mid cheek stretch upwards to pull neck line higher and shave
for lower neck line stretch downwards

using off hand for the opposite side of your face is a real mid-bender to get to grips with when you first do it..but if you work at it you will find the closeness of the shave on your off side far better for it....mastering it will also give you more control for other hard to reach areas if you stick with your good hand all the time.

my missus watched me shave last night and commented on how different my speed and technique was from the first time I tried it....so its all about just persevering; getting your technique mastered and finding the best ways for you to get the best shave you can....that might mean you have to invest in various creams and soaps til you find one that fits your style and skin type etc
for me ive found the Bluebeard Revenge range and its working perfectly...so ill stick with that

Top Bottom