What's new

Vintage Erasmic Stick + T&H Grafton = ?

The visible liquid disappeared within 24-hr. Without opening the jar, the soap seemed softer and very sticky. I left it alone for a full week, during which it firmed up and lost the stickiness. Then I put the stick back together and used it for four shaves.

This was a tentative success, or at least it was not a failure. The lather seems to be unchanged. The scent is not clearly recognizable as Grafton, but it is more pleasant on the nose than it was before treatment.

If there is a next time, I might use a stronger dose. Scenting 34-g of soap might need more than a 2/3 decant of cologne.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's a very interesting experiment Mike. I was thinking of doing something like that!

I am starting a second experiment now, with a nearly new Gibbs stick and a nearly full sample of T&H Spanish Leather cologne. The setup looks pretty much identical to the above, except that I am using a taller jar.

The Gibbs is about 50-g, so the full sample of cologne is about the same proportion as what I had with Grafton and Erasmic. That turned out a little weak, but then Spanish Leather is a more forward scent to begin with: oud, or is that birch oil?

Chances are I will leave the Gibbs in the jar for a week or more, before I try it and report back.

Gents, I am at it again... this time I am trying to restore the rose scent of a vintage Williams stick. This specimen still has some scent, but I want to kick it up a notch or two.

First I carefully removed the plastic retaining ring from the stick, and then most of the foil. Then I sealed it in a jar with a little PW Tea Rose EdT. I was hoping to unscrew the top of the perfume bottle and measure it that way, but the best I could do was to remove the spray tip and then press upside-down a few times into a stainless steel 1/4-tsp, until I had 1-2 mL of liquid in the jar. This was a little messy, but not as bad as I feared. I did it over a shallow bowl, and came out smelling like a rose.

Expect a status update in about a week. Based on the previous two experiments, I hope the soap will absorb all the EdT and acquire a strong, lasting scent. Otherwise I may try even more EdT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expect a status update in about a week. Based on the previous two experiments, I hope the soap will absorb all the EdT and acquire a strong, lasting scent. Otherwise I may try even more EdT.

There was still liquid in the jar after a week, so I gave it more time: 10 days in all. Three shaves so far, and the scent level came out well. I would prefer a rose scent that was slightly darker, if that makes sense. But this is a big improvement.

This time I thought it would be fun to make a Clubman stick. I put the rest of my vintage Opal stick, about 25 g, in a glass spice jar with about 1 mL Pinaud Clubman. I plan to check back in a week or two and see what happens.

Yes, this requires patience. If the soap is at all gooey, give it another week.

Anyway it sounds like your experiment worked out? What did you use for scent? How much?
.......I used pure lavender essential oil from Bulgaria.I floated a layer across the entire puck,just enough so it completely covered the puck.It's much more satisfying to have the lavender scent while shaving,even though it may not be exactly the same type of lavender.

This time I thought it would be fun to make a Clubman stick. I put the rest of my vintage Opal stick, about 25 g, in a glass spice jar with about 1 mL Pinaud Clubman. I plan to check back in a week or two and see what happens.

After a week... needs more Clubman, so I added another mL. Good thing I have plenty of other soaps.

The Clubman-scented Opal stick saw its first shaves this week. The scent is not quite what I was after: better than old tallow, but more like smelling Clubman in a bottle than wearing it. I guess I wanted what gents call the "dry-down" scent: maybe that will come with time?

Meanwhile the soap itself is quite good, and I figure I have around 20 shaves left on the stick.

Top Bottom